BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

EXXEL Distributions

09-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
dan0s
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How much should I be paying for a 2007 E92 M3?

Hi All,

First post here at M3post.com. Based in Sydney, Australia and have been driving a modified MY05 WRX for the last 3 years and would like to step into something European that still has plenty of nuts

I am looking to join the BMW stable hopefully in a 2007 E92 M3, however I would like to get some opinions on how much I should be paying for one of these vehicles. I am after a 2007 model with a manual transmission rather than the paddle box and something with around 20,000 - 30,000 kms on the clock.

I have noticed the cheapest 2007 models for sale are sitting around the 120k mark however when researching private price guides on Redbook.com it appears that I could perhaps negotiate more around the 105-115k mark... What are people's opinions on this?

My other option is purchasing a 2007-2008 335i however I am thinking that I probably won't be able to leave this stock and after exhaust, tuning, suspension, brakes, wheels and tyres I could have bought a 2007 M3 for the same price or cheaper...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

G'day danOs and welcome!

I have certainly noticed the price of second-hand 07 E92 M3's have dropped thru the floor! Dealer prices are going to be higher as they have to quote drive-away prices now, inclusive of on-road costs, stamp-duty etc. This only started in July this year. Private prices generally require on-road costs to be added so you need to take that into account.

Buying an E9x M3 is not a decision made with the brain - it is a heart thing. By this I mean you have to expect to take a hammering if you buy new however in your situation you will stand to benefit a lot buying second-hand.

One thing to consider though....a cheap second-hand M3 is most likely to have had a bit of a hammering as that is what they are designed for.

The 07 models did not have the new 09 iDrive or M-DCT option so you need to think about whether you like the technology the 09 iDrive offers (eg: on-board HDD for your music collection, enhanced map graphics etc).

The M-DCT vs 6MT debate has been beaten to death on these forums. I have the M-DCT and I love it. I love the short clicky shift lever as well as the paddles. Of course the M-DCT comes with Launch Control - which I am still to try!

Good luck with your decision!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
SydneyM3Pom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

I know where there's a non-thrashed / non-tracked JB 2008 car with only 9,500kms on it. Manual, but otherwise every single option... I wouldn't take near the Redbook as I have been bid much more than that by a wholesaler but a lot less than most of the ones you see advertised.

PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

So first, forget DCT cause it wasn't available at that stage. Second be VERY careful what you buy, as said before, there are some out there that have been tracked/flogged etc. After just recently attending the BMW M Drive day I can comfirm that they turn their cars over every 6 months, 11 or so at a time so there are a few out there that have had a relatively hard life...

Lastly, you are getting to where warranty is expiring with some 07 cars so take care!

Happy hunting and good luck with your purchase!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #5
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
So first, forget DCT cause it wasn't available at that stage. Second be VERY careful what you buy, as said before, there are some out there that have been tracked/flogged etc. After just recently attending the BMW M Drive day I can comfirm that they turn their cars over every 6 months, 11 or so at a time so there are a few out there that have had a relatively hard life...

Lastly, you are getting to where warranty is expiring with some 07 cars so take care!

Happy hunting and good luck with your purchase!
I definitely agree! Watch out for the ex-driver training M3s as they would have had a hard life. I certainly hammered the one I had! We even had a driver who had never driven manual before - that tranny got a bit of a workout!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
dan0s
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for the info guys - the M-DCT with launch control in the later models sounds very tempting but not sure if I am prepared to spend the extra cash for a later model. Do all e92 M3's come with sat nav?

There is a particular 07' model for sale at the moment however it has been sitting for sale for a long time which makes me suspicious. Can anyone recommend anyone who can inspect a BMW in the Sydney area that knows their stuff? I know of only mechanics who perform inspections on Japanese cars unfortunately.
Appreciate 0