E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > Warning - Positive Post

09-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Thumbs up Warning - Positive Post

Kudos to my dealer, SavageBMW, and BMW

A big Thank You to SavageBMW in Ontario, CA and to BMW. I don't know if another car manufacturer would have stood behind their product like this, especially considering that I am only 10K miles away from the extended warranty limit. I am just short of 90K miles and it would have been easy for SavageBMW and BMW to say that the most obvious problems were fixed and that was good enough considering the mileage of the car. But the term "Good enough for Government Work" did not apply. Big money was spent to fix my car - we are talking Ferrari prices here *. Kudos to the SavageBMW shop foreman, who made it his mission to make the car drive as perfect as possible (better than 2007 factory new as the car now has the latest and greatest software/hardware updates). And it is most appreciated that BMW allowed and authorized the work to be performed and the troubleshooting to continue to find the solution for that last bit of "not quite right".

The whole process took two weeks, and the Service Manager pre-arranged that I had a nice fully loaded coupe. (they know me and sedans don't get along. It is o.k. for a day or two, but half a month?) My car was completed on Friday, but unfortunately Holiday traffic was so bad, there was no way to get to the dealership before closing. So while enroute, the SA called back and said to keep the car till Tuesday, which resolved the pressure of trying to get to the dealer on time. I used this example as just another way to show how the dealership has been more than accommodating to fit my schedule.

*Ferrari prices meaning what it costs to do a major service on a F40 or Testarossa. Basically the price of a Toyota Corolla.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Smile

What was the issue with the car?

A hesitation, stumbling, missing in power delivery in the 2000rpm to 3000rmp range during moderate acceleration. Plus a cold low-rpm stumble that went away as soon as the car warm up.

BMW extended warranty covered:
New fuel injectors
New coil packs
New HPFP
All Troubleshooting diagnostics

BMW goodwilled:
New spark plugs: Note plugs were beat; BMW re-evaluating the 100K mile maintenance replacement for 335i.

Dealership goodwilled:
De-carbon of intake valves and fuel injection system cleaning

At this point, 2000 - 3000rpm acceleration stumble was corrected. And BMW FSE (Field Service Engineer) signed off on this issue.

But still had cold start stumble when moving at low rpm - which should have been fixed by the new injectors. BMW has a SIB on this problem. The Shop Foreman continued diagnostic testing until the engine side was totally ruled out. Further consultation with BMW led to replacing the Steptronic transmission. None were available in USA, so new unit was fast-tracked from Germany.

After installation and check out with BMW FSE test drive - problem solved. The FSE then authorized DME replacement as final step as the latest DME has communication firmware that is designed to work with the new transmission. A match set, so to speak.

Again, there were plenty of opportunities where either the Dealer or BMW could have stopped to say, this fix is good enough for a car with this kind of mileage. For example: The cold start stumble only happened once in the morning - once warm the transmission worked fine under all other conditions. While 6 sparkplugs is a relatively minor cost, BMW good willed them and the labor. The Dealer didn't have to go the extra step of de-carbonizing the intake valves on their nickel.

There is a difference between playing lip service to customer satisfaction and the real deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
DAMN ....... I know that service wasn't cheap!

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

so what was the issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
so what was the issue?
Beginning of the OP ...........

"What was the issue with the car?

A hesitation, stumbling, missing in power delivery in the 2000rpm to 3000rmp range during moderate acceleration. Plus a cold low-rpm stumble that went away as soon as the car warm up ..... "

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Kudos to my dealer, SavageBMW, and BMW

A big Thank You to SavageBMW in Ontario, CA and to BMW. I don't know if another car manufacturer would have stood behind their product like this, especially considering that I am only 10K miles away from the extended warranty limit. I am just short of 90K miles and it would have been easy for SavageBMW and BMW to say that the most obvious problems were fixed and that was good enough considering the mileage of the car. But the term "Good enough for Government Work" did not apply. Big money was spent to fix my car - we are talking Ferrari prices here *. Kudos to the SavageBMW shop foreman, who made it his mission to make the car drive as perfect as possible (better than 2007 factory new as the car now has the latest and greatest software/hardware updates). And it is most appreciated that BMW allowed and authorized the work to be performed and the troubleshooting to continue to find the solution for that last bit of "not quite right".

The whole process took two weeks, and the Service Manager pre-arranged that I had a nice fully loaded coupe. (they know me and sedans don't get along. It is o.k. for a day or two, but half a month?) My car was completed on Friday, but unfortunately Holiday traffic was so bad, there was no way to get to the dealership before closing. So while enroute, the SA called back and said to keep the car till Tuesday, which resolved the pressure of trying to get to the dealer on time. I used this example as just another way to show how the dealership has been more than accommodating to fit my schedule.

*Ferrari prices meaning what it costs to do a major service on a F40 or Testarossa. Basically the price of a Toyota Corolla.
I have had nothing but good experiences with Savage BMW myself!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Beginning of the OP ...........

"What was the issue with the car?

A hesitation, stumbling, missing in power delivery in the 2000rpm to 3000rmp range during moderate acceleration. Plus a cold low-rpm stumble that went away as soon as the car warm up ..... "
In my experience that place is the exception...not the rule. Good Job!
      09-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Great News !!!
Appreciate 0