E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Stock Intake removal(N52) - Aftermarket Intake Installation

09-21-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
DIY: Stock Intake removal(N52) - Aftermarket Intake Installation

*This DIY involves removal procedures for the stock intake system and installation of the Simota Intake system. Do it at your own risk. Becareful with the MAF sensor.

1. Tools Required:
-torx screw drivers(2 different sizes, don't know what size. I just had them in my garage and both worked, both needed. Will search on the size and update)
-flashlight(if your garage is not bright enough)
-Small minus(-) screwdriver
-Big/Long minus(-) screw driver
-Plus(+) screwdriver
-Hex keys(not shown in pics, but supplied with the Simota intake. You don't need it for removing the stock intake)
-Beers.

2. Take the screws that are holding the intake to the chassis off.

3. Take the screws that are holding the front intake duct piece to the frame off.

4. front intake duct piece and the intake is connected by two plastic "clips" or buttons. Nothing to remove here, just use your fingers to disconnect them, and remove them. only one is show in the pic, other one is on the other side.

5. Now, the fun part. This part pissed me off until I figured out how. then it took me literally 3 seconds to remove. MAF sensor. This is a delicate piece, so instead of removing it from the intake, I decided to disconnect them first and remove the sensor off the intake later on. You disconnect the plug using a small minus screwdriver. You place the minus screwdriver between the clip that is holding each other, lift the button a bit, and it'll slide right out. You'll get the idea when you actually see them.

6. The intake hose piece(the hose piece connected to the intake manifold) is connected to the intake by that silver metal hose clamp. use the big minus screw driver to get the hose clamp loose(you don't have to completely take it off). After that, your intake is good to be taken out. Gently pull the intake piece away from the intake hose. You might have to use a little bit of force. Mine came out with a "thump" sound, which scared me for a bit, but nothing was wrong. I advise you try to disconnect the intake hose from the intake first and if that doesn't work, use force to take it off.

7. Now you have to take the MAF sensor off the intake and place it on your aftermarket intake. You can take the MAF sensor off the intake by using a minus screwdriver. Slide your screwdriver between the intake and the MAF sensor, gently pull it up. You don't have to use any force here, it comes off easily.

8. Install the MAF sensor on your aftermarket intake. For Simota intake, two screws are holding them together.

9. Unscrew the two screws already placed on the Simota intake duct. Keep the screws around you, because you will re-use them when you install the intake piece.

10. There is a small "L" bracket that mounts to the left side of the intake duct, and screws in through one of the areas where the 2 torx screws were during uninstall. you use the screw that requires the small hex key.

11. Install the Simota intake duct to the vehicle. Screw the L-bracket in to the front frame.

12. Now, you install your Simota intake. Connect the Simota intake to your factory intake hose already on there, and plug the MAF sensor plug back in. Then, align the Simota intake duct and the intake together and screw those two screws back in. It might take some force to connect them together since both pieces are probably screwed on pretty tight. If you can't get them to connect together, loosen the L-Bracket screw. After you got them all screwed properly, tighten the silver metal clamp hose to secure the connection between the hose and the intake.

13. Install the bracket. Just look at the picture. Straight forward.

14. Take it out for a drive, and enjoy your intake.

Thanks to rich for the great intake. It looks awesome in the engine bay.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
tissot
hmmmmmmmm
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F30 - 328i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Great DIY, but how come you didn't use the screws RichP provided for the connection between the two pieces??
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Nice DIY. How did you make those red circles in your photos? What software are you using?
      09-22-2006, 01:05 AM   #4
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
=
Quote:
Originally Posted by tissot
Great DIY, but how come you didn't use the screws RichP provided for the connection between the two pieces??
I just liked the ones already on there. Black screws matched with the CF piece nicely. I thought those are the ones rich replaced? I thought stock ones were silver? Eitherway, I just liked the black ones better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Nice DIY. How did you make those red circles in your photos? What software are you using?
thanks man. I used Ulead PhotoImpact software. Basically a "noob" version of Photoshop.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
jpass12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Garage List
2004 Z4 2.5  [6.00]
I just got mine! I came back from work and it was in my front porch. Sweet! I will install it tomorrow. Thanks Rich, it looks awesome!
      09-22-2006, 02:50 AM   #6
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Awesome DIY!!!

Someon needs to include this post in the DIY compilation ASAP!! Man this is one awesome and detailed DIY post, thanks a lot man.... Enjoy the intake!!

Last edited by yamazaho; 10-31-2006 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Very nice writeup!! Thanks for all the info!

About those screws...when I got my intake they came with these crappy phillips screws. When I packed them, I didnt examine the screw packs closely, although I just checked an intake here, and see they come with the nicer hex-heads already. I guess people now have an option, lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Nice write-up/DIY....another candidate for DIY Hall of Fame.

Admins please add to DIY master list...thanks!

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 02:15 AM   #9
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Thanks for the DIY,

I'm still a little confused..

Here's what I received in the plastic bag

3 allen keys
2 bracket (1 L bracket, one housing bracket)
3 screws (1 big one, 2 smaller ones)
3 nuts (2 big ones, 1 smaller one)
1 washer

does that seem right? If the bigger screw is for the L bracket, then what do I use to tight down the housing bracket?

Also...what is that tiny nut for?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 02:51 AM   #10
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629
Thanks for the DIY,

I'm still a little confused..

Here's what I received in the plastic bag

3 allen keys
2 bracket (1 L bracket, one housing bracket)
3 screws (1 big one, 2 smaller ones)
3 nuts (2 big ones, 1 smaller one)
1 washer

does that seem right? If the bigger screw is for the L bracket, then what do I use to tight down the housing bracket?

Also...what is that tiny nut for?
1. You got the right stuff.

2. Assuming that the housing bracket is the bracket that supports the main intake piece to the chassis, use the big silver screw that came off in 3rd picture.

3. You don't have to use all the stuff supplied. I have few bolts left over.

hope that helps.

p.s: oh and just to add, the bracket(twisted one) might not fit as perfect as you might like it. just make sure they are screwed down tight, and that'll do the job, unless there is some other way. At least my is holding pretty damn well. I've been a real aggressive driver yesterday and today. guess what caused that.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 03:12 AM   #11
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

thanks lux!

Also, do I use the small nut for the screw that holds the two intake scoops together?? I ask because the "L" shape bracket does not have threads in it....
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 04:02 AM   #12
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629
thanks lux!

Also, do I use the small nut for the screw that holds the two intake scoops together?? I ask because the "L" shape bracket does not have threads in it....
yeah L bracket doesn't have threads so you gotta use the screw and the screw nut behind it to secure them.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2006, 04:11 AM   #13
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Installation complete, took me less than 30 minutes, I even waxed the carbon fiber parts....

Definitely felt the power gain as the intake sucks in more power, and the valves go into hight lift mode under WOT...and the sound....it's definitely intoxicating as I rev pass 5000rpm....yum!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #14
biancoE90
OOO YEAA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 330i

does any1 have a sound clip of what the simota sounds like?? looks like dinan really flopped on comin out with a intake for the e90
      10-31-2006, 01:28 AM   #15
cm3rc
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
06 325i  [0.00]
I just got mine in today i was waiting for it in the mail in the morning and it dint show up so i left for school. then i came home and it was sitting in front of my door step. cant wait to install it next next week.

because my car is at the shop.

btw i will refer to this DIY soon. THANKS!!
      10-31-2006, 11:41 AM   #16
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
does simota use the k&n filter?

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #17
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

great DIY bro...so where does the beer part come into play with the DIY?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #18
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz
does simota use the k&n filter?
I don't think so. You can probably order a similar sized K&N filter and put it in there. I wanted to try it but I was too lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
great DIY bro...so where does the beer part come into play with the DIY?
the beer part comes in when you take it a for a test drive and enjoy the sound.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #19
jjhan85
J-Han
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i jetblack

Garage List
QUESTION QUESTION QUESTION!!!

Inthe Simota Intake Air box...is there another hole in the bottom of the box?? In the 2nd to last picture, it looks like theres another air way in the box... is there? or is it enclosed entirely?

thank YOU!

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 03:20 PM   #20
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhan85
QUESTION QUESTION QUESTION!!!

Inthe Simota Intake Air box...is there another hole in the bottom of the box?? In the 2nd to last picture, it looks like theres another air way in the box... is there? or is it enclosed entirely?

thank YOU!
yes there are 2 intake ducts for better air induction.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #21
jjhan85
J-Han
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i jetblack

Garage List
OK....someone who is crafty with plastic materials or seomthing should do something with those intake ducts.

I jsut saw Dinans Intake, and its just an extra hose going behind the wheel well or somewhere where it can get COOLER air. Someone should make something similar to that and put it on the Simota Air Intake Box. It'll be crafty and take a little work, but i think this will help out alot. no?

I duno, its just a thought

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #22
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhan85
OK....someone who is crafty with plastic materials or seomthing should do something with those intake ducts.

I jsut saw Dinans Intake, and its just an extra hose going behind the wheel well or somewhere where it can get COOLER air. Someone should make something similar to that and put it on the Simota Air Intake Box. It'll be crafty and take a little work, but i think this will help out alot. no?

I duno, its just a thought
I understand exactly what you are talking about. Definitely doable. Someone, maybe like longtran can do this with ease. If you don't find a plastic piece that you can fit in the bay though, you'll probably have to fabricate one. Not a rocket science, something a good shop can do without much problem.

I dunno how much more power it'll add though. It seems stock airbox(oem) is already pretty free-flowing. GruppeM did gain some noticible horsepower, so following their design is the best in my opinion. but that'll cause whole different intake housing.

Appreciate 0