E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Coolingmist Meth. Technical details CMGS and MAP SWITCHING.

12-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I 2006 Lotus Elise

Coolingmist Meth. Technical details CMGS and MAP SWITCHING.

BACKGROUND:

Most of you know Coolingmist started in business in 2004. In 2008 we began design on our new generation of kits. CMGS as it would become known as stands for Coolingmist Gauge System. For Coolingmist, rehashing whats already on the market was not an option. It was our goal to design something that was truely special from an enthusiast point of view, but with flawless engineering. In early 2009 we released CMGS which led us to our latest enhancement CMGS-FS.

PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD:

This thread is designed to show you how our system works, advantages of our system over other designs and other details to help let the customer understand how to use our system but also to make sure its the right system for you. Since this is a technical forum, please PM us for pricing or see us in the commercial section rather than ask in this thread. Any technical questions to this product, please ask them in this thread.

HOW CMGS FS BMW WORKS

Coolingmist Gauge System Fail Safe is a water methanol injection system like no other on the market. This particular model is designed specifically for the BMW platform and enhanced further for the JB3 (although can be used with any tune or even stock vehicle). In a nutshell, the CMGS injects water/alcohol mix into your engine under load. This mixture evaporates soaking up the heat giving your BMW colder intake charge temps, combustion temps and this leads to a more complete burn allowing more power and a safer tune. In essecence, you can go further, do more faster and better with our kit.

WHAT MAKES CMGS-FS DIFFERENT THAN OTHER KITS?

We had several goals in mind for CMGS-FS, these were designed to make our kit easier to install, more reliable and cost effective. Lets discuss in detail what sets us apart.

1) simplicity
CMGS FS is what we call our "ALL IN ONE" design. A single 52 MM gauge is our progressive variable controller, flow based failsafe, boost gauge and flow gauge. No other product on the market combines these features into one small package.

2) ease of install
With the all in one design, you can install the CMGS easy. With other kits on the market you will have to mount a progressive controller, failsafe box, boost gauge and flow gauge. Diagram will be displayed later in this thread. See this diagram and compare to other products.

3) cost effectiveness
Also due to the all in one design, we are able to get you a full BMW specific kit with failsafe features at a much better price. Competing kits with similar features will cost significantly more.

4) adjustability
CMGS-FS is simple, but also full featured. You can set the MIN/MAX boost, the curve (min/max dutycycle), flow calibration (if necessary), flow bar diplay, LED display and of course your failsafe options.

5) Safety
The failsafe feature of the CMGS-FS allows you to set many parameters. You can set the following:

a. Boost threshold.
b. flow window
c. spool up (if necessary)
d. set the output failsafe wire to normally open or normally closed.

Failsafe will trip when you are not within your flow range or if the flow level in the tank is low. . In addition to this, you will get error codes on the CMGS FS to tell you what is going on.

"00.0" Low fluid level
"00.1" Flowing less than you should
"00.2" Flowing more than you should
"00.3" Flowing when you should not be (warns you that that mis-wired the system to an "on" state by accident)

6) INTEGRATION with JB3.
Version 1.06 will integrate with JB3 seamlessly. You must have a special flash for your JB3 and Version 1.06 on the CMGS for this feature to work.
The CMGS monitors the flow and boost conditions at all times telling the JB3 when to switch maps higher or lower. Details are upcoming.

USER GUIDE

http://www.coolingmist.com/instructions/cmgs135I335.pdf

DIAGRAM

The BMW diagram is below. We will have an updated diagram shortly to show you how the CMGS connects to your JB3 (if you have JB3)

CMGS PLOT
This should show you some of the details of the CMGS Gauge.

Last edited by coolingmist; 12-06-2009 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Thanks for the awesome info

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

that looks like an awesome system! Great that you \guys have it integragted for JB systems!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Skeet703
Rep
Drives: E92

how do you know if you got a Version 1.06 ? i just got my kit last week.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

good info here
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet703 View Post
how do you know if you got a Version 1.06 ? i just got my kit last week.

The version will flash at startup. Yours is a 1.05 or 1.04.

I should clarify, to do the map switching you need version 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 10.4, 1.05 or 1.06. Only the "000" version cant do map switching.

The 1.06 can do it without any additional harness. For those with the earlier version terry will have a harness available that will let you do the same thing. You will need to have your JB3 flashed I believe once terry is ready with this.

VERSION "000" can never do any map switching. You will need to send to us to flash and return to you if you have a "000" version.

CM
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

One of the things you guys are going to like about the CMGS-FS kit is the ease of intall and configurability. The All in one design makes it more simple to install and more cost effective than other products, but also gives you an added benefit of showing you your boost AND flow and failsafe status in real time. All of this in one 52 MM gauge.

Pics of the CMGS. This one part below (and our simple flow sensor) take the place of a boost gauge, failsafe box, progressive controller and flow gauge.

Here is a picture of the kit and the tank choices.

the trunkmount is a nice option because the pump mounts inside the recessed cavity in the tank. Makes install very simple and easy. The 1.5 gallon capacity is great as well.

The CMGS FS will work with any BMW on the market with or without a tune. It is enhanced to work with the JB3 as it has the ability to communicate with the JB so the JB always knows the flow situation and can decrease the boost in real time when there is an issue.

We have a 7 minute video showing the how the CMGS monitors the flow situation and can turn on/off any device if there is an issue.

http://www.coolingmist.com/videos.aspx?videoid=13#video
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

David?

If so, good to see you here. I picked up one of your kits for my B5 S4 about three years ago just off of Jimmy Carter Blvd.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Does it output a 12volt signal trigger wire once there is sufficient flow to the system or is it just the 5 volt signal only???
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Does it output a 12volt signal trigger wire once there is sufficient flow to the system or is it just the 5 volt signal only???

Quote:

Our system has 2 different failsafes built in. One of them is user configurable and can be for what ever the customer wants. The other is programmed into the system to work with the JB. I am not going to talk quite yet about the JB part other than to say the CMGS relays info to the JB at all times about the flow rate and user defined flow params, etc. The JB uses that information to determine how much boost and what map to use, etc.

The univeral failsafe you will be happy to know can be suited to just about any situation. There is a ground output that can be either Normally Open or Normally Closed.

You set up your flow window and your threshold. Lets say you are injecting based on boost and you put a boost threshold of 14 PSI and your MIN flow is 380 CC/M and your high flow value is 1200 CC/M.

If you set the CMGS wire to be Normally Closed, the yellow failsafe output wire will always give a voltage signal unless the CMGS detects that you are past your boost threshold, and you are not between your min/max flow in which case it will remove the ground signal. This is good for turning a device off incase of failure (imagine an electronic boost controller).

If you use the same scenerio as above but set the yellow output wire to be Normally Open, there is never a signal unless there is a problem. Once you are past your boost threshold and not within your low/high flow the system will give the yellow wire a ground. This is useful for turning a device ON during system failure. Think about using a valve to dump boost or something.

If you need a 12 Volt signal its easy. using either of the scenerios above you would wire a simple $5 relay like this:

86 switched ignition
30 Battery
87 to the power wire of your device
85 to yellow CMGS wire

once the yellow wire grounds the 85 pin the 87 pin will have power. If the CMGS is in normally closed mode, once it takes ground away from 85 pin the 87 pin will lose power.

Let me know what othe questions you have and thanks!

CM
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
David?

If so, good to see you here. I picked up one of your kits for my B5 S4 about three years ago just off of Jimmy Carter Blvd.

Its great to hear from you. We deal with everyone from everywhere and rarely get to meet our customers so its great to have met you in person.

DAVID
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolingmist View Post
Our system has 2 different failsafes built in. One of them is user configurable and can be for what ever the customer wants. The other is programmed into the system to work with the JB. I am not going to talk quite yet about the JB part other than to say the CMGS relays info to the JB at all times about the flow rate and user defined flow params, etc. The JB uses that information to determine how much boost and what map to use, etc.

The univeral failsafe you will be happy to know can be suited to just about any situation. There is a ground output that can be either Normally Open or Normally Closed.

You set up your flow window and your threshold. Lets say you are injecting based on boost and you put a boost threshold of 14 PSI and your MIN flow is 380 CC/M and your high flow value is 1200 CC/M.

If you set the CMGS wire to be Normally Closed, the yellow failsafe output wire will always give a voltage signal unless the CMGS detects that you are past your boost threshold, and you are not between your min/max flow in which case it will remove the ground signal. This is good for turning a device off incase of failure (imagine an electronic boost controller).

If you use the same scenerio as above but set the yellow output wire to be Normally Open, there is never a signal unless there is a problem. Once you are past your boost threshold and not within your low/high flow the system will give the yellow wire a ground. This is useful for turning a device ON during system failure. Think about using a valve to dump boost or something.

If you need a 12 Volt signal its easy. using either of the scenerios above you would wire a simple $5 relay like this:

86 switched ignition
30 Battery
87 to the power wire of your device
85 to yellow CMGS wire

once the yellow wire grounds the 85 pin the 87 pin will have power. If the CMGS is in normally closed mode, once it takes ground away from 85 pin the 87 pin will lose power.

Let me know what othe questions you have and thanks!

CM
I understand the relay part, but I just looked at your video and it doesn't say anything about a 12volt signal but only a 5 volt signal....Where in the video does it state this, or will you be incorporating this into the guage
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I understand the relay part, but I just looked at your video and it doesn't say anything about a 12volt signal but only a 5 volt signal....Where in the video does it state this, or will you be incorporating this into the guage

I think you are talking about the input signal. When you set the threshold, you can do voltage threshold. The CMGS has both a boost input (built in map sensor) and a 0-5V input. Lets say someone does not want to use the boost line for the CMGS, they can use a 0-5V map sensor as well. If that is the case you would use voltage as the threshold instead of boost.

Is that what you are refering to?

CM
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

nice
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #15
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well...what I am describing is for instance when a measured flow is set to a users trip point is met, is there a wire that sends out a 12 volt trigger to allow for a tune to switch maps....SO if there is enough flow a 12volt trigger to switch to meth map, below the flow the trigger is 0 volts..

You would need to wire the relay and use the 87 wire of the relay to convert the ground to a voltage.

If you set the yellow wire to Normally closed it would give a 12 V signal always. Once you reach your boost threshold if you were not within your flow window it would give a 0 signal.

this would work in the same way. you are talking about only giving voltage when its within the flow range and flowing correctly. The only difference, ours will give a voltage always, however once within the flow window if for any reason the flow is not met (or you are low on fluid in the tank) the system would give a 0 volts until the situation is resolved.

This would work as well for you, right? if not, let me know why.

CM
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolingmist View Post
You would need to wire the relay and use the 87 wire of the relay to convert the ground to a voltage.

If you set the yellow wire to Normally closed it would give a 12 V signal always. Once you reach your boost threshold if you were not within your flow window it would give a 0 signal.

this would work in the same way. you are talking about only giving voltage when its within the flow range and flowing correctly. The only difference, ours will give a voltage always, however once within the flow window if for any reason the flow is not met (or you are low on fluid in the tank) the system would give a 0 volts until the situation is resolved.

This would work as well for you, right? if not, let me know why.

CM
For the Procede tune...IF there is a flow rate that the user sets is met, then the failsafe would trigger a 12volt to a wire that will be hooked up to a relay which switches maps on the Procede tune.....If the flow rate is not met to the trigger point, the wire has 0volts.....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #17
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For the Procede tune...IF there is a flow rate that the user sets is met, then the failsafe would trigger a 12volt to a wire that will be hooked up to a relay which switches maps on the Procede tune.....If the flow rate is not met to the trigger point, the wire has 0volts.....

Ok, so in the case with the CMGS by default using a relay, the proceed would still function as normal or am I missing something.

The CMGS would basically say everything is fine give 12 volts unless when in the flow window you are not within the flow range. In the case that you are not within the range, drop the voltage to 0 and swich maps.

This should work just fine. I still dont see why it does not. My questions are out of having the best understanding of your situation so I can make sure we have a solution that works for you and others like you.

CM
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
jblackwell
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

It would appear that this kit does not have a solenoid. Why or why not?

Any siphoning issues? I had a friend with an kit (to remain nameless) that if not used would literally siphon into the intake as the tank was mounted higher than the injector nozzle. Does your nozzle require a minimum PSI to flow (check valve) or something?

Please advise.
      12-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackwell View Post
It would appear that this kit does not have a solenoid. Why or why not?

Any siphoning issues? I had a friend with an kit (to remain nameless) that if not used would literally siphon into the intake as the tank was mounted higher than the injector nozzle. Does your nozzle require a minimum PSI to flow (check valve) or something?

Please advise.

Our system has a fluid control valve connected to the flow sensor. The valve will prevent any siphoning from the engine under vacuum as well as hold the line primed. If you look at the diagram, you can see it connected to the flow sensor. Here is a picture:

You can run a solenoid with the system if you prefer, however we design our kits to be simple and easy to install, that combined with the reliabilty we prefer checkvalve.

More questions? Let me know.

Last edited by coolingmist; 12-07-2009 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #20
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

One of the things you guys are going to love about the CMGS system is the ability to monitor everything from one single gauge. Just putting a failsafe in the trunk with no way to know whats going on is not the right way to do it. We were set on designing a system that addresses issues like that. Put the driver back in control. From the gauge you can monitor the min/max setting, boost pressure, failsafe status and flow.

Here is a quick vid we did. we setup the failsafe and then simply tripped it showing you what happens. Not only does the external signal trip, but the gauge notifies you of what the problem is.

http://www.coolingmist.com/videos.aspx?videoid=13#video
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #21
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep

let us know what questions you all have.

CM
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #22
jblackwell
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

What size injector nozzle is used with the 335 kit and 250 psi pump?

I'm guessing 500cc/m, but just curious.