E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Tight @rsed Dealer

12-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Tight @rsed Dealer

As some of you will know I've had my eye out for an X3 for the missus in exchange for the 330d. I know there's not much of a difference in interior space between the two cars but it'll keep her happy for a little while.

Anyway, given my recent 'downscaling' exercise I though I should be able to take the opportunity to make the change whilst reducing my monthly payments (admittedly only by a little).

If I was to make the change it would have to be a peach of an X3 to tempt me and I eventually found one (3.0d M Sport, nav, xenons, pana roof, hi-fi, etc).

Made a bid for it 4 or 5 weeks ago (when the car was still 'coming soon') but they deal was crap (or should I say not generous to tempt me). Anyway, I was surprised to spot the other day that it was still for sale; I thought it would be snapped up quickly. Called the same sales chap and asked if he could sweeten up the deal at all. He, or should I say the sales manager, wouldn't.

Essentially the offer was nothing off the X3 at all and a really crap part-ex for 330d (I'd have said about a grand under was would be considered reasonable). When I told the sales guy that the offer was still as crap as it was originally it triggered him into a rage about his employer and the frustration he and other sales people had there with inflexibility. It was quite funny but a little shocking too.

I just couldn't beleive that after 4-5 weeks there was still no movement.

Considering I got a little over 10% off the RX8 two weeks ago without too much difficulty PLUS a really silly price for the 350Z (at least £1k over). Usually one generous side of a deal is balanced with a poor other side but I seems to have positive on both the deal and trade-in. Now, I don't think the Mazda dealer anything at all from the deal with me but the difference between this and the BMW dealer is just massive.

Is it just this particular dealer being rather bullish??
Was I just plain lucky with my 350/RX8 deal??
It is just not a comparible comparison??
Am I expecting too much from a 'deal'??
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Could be wrong - but suspect the way you talked to the salesman makes him think you might buy it at full price.

Just ignore it for now and call back in 2 weeks - car still for sale? If you get frustrated with him it shows him that you really want his car - thats why he won't budge.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
As some of you will know I've had my eye out for an X3 for the missus in exchange for the 330d. I know there's not much of a difference in interior space between the two cars but it'll keep her happy for a little while.

Anyway, given my recent 'downscaling' exercise I though I should be able to take the opportunity to make the change whilst reducing my monthly payments (admittedly only by a little).

If I was to make the change it would have to be a peach of an X3 to tempt me and I eventually found one (3.0d M Sport, nav, xenons, pana roof, hi-fi, etc).

Made a bid for it 4 or 5 weeks ago (when the car was still 'coming soon') but they deal was crap (or should I say not generous to tempt me). Anyway, I was surprised to spot the other day that it was still for sale; I thought it would be snapped up quickly. Called the same sales chap and asked if he could sweeten up the deal at all. He, or should I say the sales manager, wouldn't.

Essentially the offer was nothing off the X3 at all and a really crap part-ex for 330d (I'd have said about a grand under was would be considered reasonable). When I told the sales guy that the offer was still as crap as it was originally it triggered him into a rage about his employer and the frustration he and other sales people had there with inflexibility. It was quite funny but a little shocking too.

I just couldn't beleive that after 4-5 weeks there was still no movement.

Considering I got a little over 10% off the RX8 two weeks ago without too much difficulty PLUS a really silly price for the 350Z (at least £1k over). Usually one generous side of a deal is balanced with a poor other side but I seems to have positive on both the deal and trade-in. Now, I don't think the Mazda dealer anything at all from the deal with me but the difference between this and the BMW dealer is just massive.

Is it just this particular dealer being rather bullish??
Was I just plain lucky with my 350/RX8 deal??
It is just not a comparible comparison??
Am I expecting too much from a 'deal'??
Look on BMW AUC and find a similar/close spec. Then tell your dealer that you've found another one where that dealer will do you a hell of a deal and part-ex (make up some suitable numbers in case he tries to catch you out!) and tell him you felt it was only fair that you contact him one last time to see if he'll reconsider his decision not to negotiate before you buy the other car. And don't forget the magic rule of car negotiation... ask the above question and then SILENCE until THEY speak first.

Works every time- honest!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It's a funny one really as I've kind of tried most of the above. Spoke to the guy 4-5 weeks ago, deal wasn't attractive, told the guy to contact me if it could be bettered. Heard nothing. Noticed it still for sale, called back & asked him if he could better the deal now that a few weeks have passed. Figures came back identical (apparently my car has gone down in value whilst theirs has gone up; I told him that was bollocks!!!). Again told the guy the deal was no where near what I considered fair. He went back to his principal and came back with no movement.

To be honest, I beleived the guy (fatal mistake I know), he geniunely sounded frustrated and pissed-off by the lack of support he was receiving to help him shift cars. He really didn't hold back. He said the only negotiating he finds works is to price match a similar specced car from the AUC website but he said that notion was pathetic (why would I go back to the awkward dealer; I'd get the similar specced cheaper car from the other dealer). He basically admitted that the deal was indeed crap. I told the guy at outset that the deal would have to be bloody good to tempt me out of the 330d (it's basically the same car but on stilts!!!).

Just staggers me that I can get a massively better deal with Mazda on a car which is more than half the value of the X3 I'm looking at.

I've been offered £14,200 for the 330d (similar ones for £17/18k on AUC) and I owe £15.5k on it. No movement whatsoever on the X3s price. Surely they can get me out of my finance clean and still take a token amount off the X3 (i.e. throw £1.5k into the deal).

I've just walked away again. The guy has my number and knows I'll take the car if the deal is bettered (significantly).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

I've just bought a 58plate 120d and got £23.5k for my 07 plate E92 330d M Sport from the BMW dealer

Pretty chuffed to be honest
      12-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Someone in my offices got a '59' plate 318d M Sport for £19k (sticker price £27k) or something like that. Still deals to be had... (just not always where I'm looking!!)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Sounds like they have a relatively desireable car, that owes them a little too much.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
...and they don't really want my 330d!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I expect they will operate a 90 day stocking plan - I'm sure the deal will get better nearer that magic 90 days!
      12-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
...and they don't really want my 330d!!
Oddly enough I don't think the values on 330d's are that strong. In many cases they seemed to be priced below 330i's when I was judging the value to sell my car at. Basically, there are a lot of them about.

I remember looking at a used 330i before I bought my car and the dealer would not take ANYTHING off the sticker price. He said he had no flexibility on it at all. I could have understood this if it was priced keenly, but I ended up buying my new car for less than he wanted. The only reason I even looked at it was that is was a nearly new manual, which at the time was pretty rare.

Doesn't make any sense, other than to assume that they paid too much for the car in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 04:43 AM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I believe the deal I got on the 135i was good - 800 off before the car even got off the 'coming soon' page. Not loads, but plenty when you realise how quickly they move and how few there are at any one time with very high spec.

This situation sounds weird, and from the salesmans outburst quite likely is a genuine problem at this dealer!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 05:37 AM   #12
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Frsutrated salesguy with a tight-arse Sales Manager I reckon.

Probably had a bollocking at the "daily prayers" meeting. Those in the trade will know what I'm talking about!
      12-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Their morning meeting did last an hour which seemed a little excessive. Probably more politics than we'd care to mention. I'm actually not bothered at all just surprised by the absolute lack of a deal (in fact quite the opposite; it's me they're trying to shaft) even after a few weeks.

I'm a great believer in fate so, after two strikes, I'm out!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Roger, name and shame the dealer! I am gobsmacked that they don't make some attempt to at least get you sat down with the finance man at the dealership. X3's are hardly the most sought after 4x4 out there and with the X1 imminent I would have thought shifting it on after it has stood at the dealer for 6 weeks would be a priority.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Is it this one?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah that's the one. Great spec for an X3. I agree completely with your sentiments Peter. Even the fact that there's a new X3 not far away should be a consideration for the dealer. Nevermind another will pop up soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Thats Stratsone for you. Got mine from them and it was so frustrating trying to get discount even without a p/x. Salesman was a top bloke, but hampered by the group pricing policy - £100 max discount. Waited a bit, then 'Group' dropped the pricec about £700 one day and the salesman was back on the phone. Pushed for more at the end and only managed to get my next oil service for free. I lost days on end surfing for a similar or better one at the price, but just couldnt find one.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah that's the one. Great spec for an X3. I agree completely with your sentiments Peter. Even the fact that there's a new X3 not far away should be a consideration for the dealer. Nevermind another will pop up soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 05:01 AM   #19
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sorry Paul hadn't seen your post until just now. You're absolutely right, sales staff seem to be top notch but massively hampered by group policy.

Thought, for a laugh, I'd phone up again (personal crusade now) as I was told a lady was coming to look at the car at the weekend to see if it had been sold. Car still not sold.

The salesman told me that a price review was due today so would come back to me later. I asked him how the strategy works and thought it may be of interest -:

They have a 60 mile price-match scheme in place which is reviewed on the 14th, 21st & 36th day of sale. On the 46th day of sale this price-match is based on cars nationally.

This X3 is on it's 36th day of sale and I'm tempted, depending upon what he comes back with today, just to sit and wait until the 46th day.

That's only half the battle though to be fair as the part-ex figure they've given is also crap so want that to be significantly improved.

Might just be a lesson learnt not to bother contacting the Stratstone Group if I'm after a very good deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #20
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Sorry Paul hadn't seen your post until just now. You're absolutely right, sales staff seem to be top notch but massively hampered by group policy.

Thought, for a laugh, I'd phone up again (personal crusade now) as I was told a lady was coming to look at the car at the weekend to see if it had been sold. Car still not sold.

The salesman told me that a price review was due today so would come back to me later. I asked him how the strategy works and thought it may be of interest -:

They have a 60 mile price-match scheme in place which is reviewed on the 14th, 21st & 36th day of sale. On the 46th day of sale this price-match is based on cars nationally.

This X3 is on it's 36th day of sale and I'm tempted, depending upon what he comes back with today, just to sit and wait until the 46th day.

That's only half the battle though to be fair as the part-ex figure they've given is also crap so want that to be significantly improved.

Might just be a lesson learnt not to bother contacting the Stratstone Group if I'm after a very good deal.
It's interesting because having blown the policy open, you might think that depending on a million and one variables like market factors, personal relationship, figures made so far etc they might be willing to do things like 'Advance' the process - so for example, in another dealer with the same policy, your sales guy might say to the boss (tomorrow) 'listen boss, this bloke Roger is ready to pay, can we not review review the cars 36 day price and stick it up on the site etc... but also try to predict what the 46 day price will be and offer it to him' coz that kind of thing (even if its TOTAL BOLLOCKS) might make you FEEL like you had got a deal and get in you in the car.

If its still for sale on the 46th day and the car drops to that price and Rog comes back again offering just under (again) then the dealer would (probably rightly) perceive you to be a timewaster anyway?

Does that make any sense? If I were trying to put you in a car, thats what I would be doing tomorrow...

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #21
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

sounds like they've got little in the car to give, strange though as i would of thought they'd shift the 330d with little problem at a decent price

i try and find a little bit out on the history of the car you're looking at, was it p/x'd for a new or used model etc it gives you an idea of how much they have in the car.

also, leave it till the end of the month, they all need to desparately hit their figures and will throw it at you in the end (thats how i got my good deal on the e91)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #22
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Matt; I think the salesman is thinking along your suggested lines but just keeps getting blocked by the more senior decision makers and the dreaded 'group policy'. He's desperate to shift it, ideally to me (it's effectively an easy sale), just isn't getting the flexibility needed from above.

Saul; unless the figure he comes back with later is decent I'm going to wait it out - I now know that in another 10 days the price will drop again (assuming there is another similar specced car for sale to price-match against that is). Also, I guess it's their understanding of 'similar specced' versus my understanding of 'similar specced'!!!

I reckon the X3 is £1k overpriced in the first instance (and i don't care what set of circumstances lead them to have little price in the car; it's too expensive full-stop). Also, they've taken the p!ss with my part-ex offer (£1k under).

There are a couple of similar age twin turbo 3.0d's knocking around for similar money but with less spec which are tempting but, as it's for the wife, I'd prefer the smaller engine but with more toys.

I don't think the Stratstone 'group policy' and I will ever agree so just having a little fun trying to make a mockery out of their system. I'm sat here willing to buy (at a reasonable price) but can't because of 'group policy'. Hey Ho.
Appreciate 0