2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum RFT is an option?

12-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

RFT is an option?

I just read through the F10 catalog, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the standard wheel (V-spoke 236) doesn't come with RFT tires. I guess it means BMW will include a spare with non-RFT vehicles?

I really hate RFTs (stiff, nosy and hard to find them in emergency situations) and am glad to see this change.

Unfortunately, the 550i comes with the RFT standard. I'll most likely swap out the tires when I get mine, but I wonder if BMW will offer an option to retrofit spare in a RFT vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
lagunadallas
Rep
Drives: '07 X5 4.8i Sport

Agreed...I hope that's how it works out for the 535i. I switched out the 20" RFTs on my X5 to regular tires and the ride is now more comfortable, they make less noise, and were quite a bit less expensive!

Past BMWs: '07 335i Cabrio, '04 330i Cabrio, '03 540i 6-speed, '01 530i, '01 X5 3.0i, '00 328Ci, '87 325
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

They really need to rename it EURO Catalog. Too many people getting confused. RFTs will be standard on US models much to my dismay. I hate the Turanza's on my e90 they are ridiculously loud. I just ordered Conti's I hope they are better.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 04:25 AM   #4
TurboT
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: X4 30d

But the day when the tire get broken you really miss the run flat tyre.

I can tell from my experience that it was really hard to change the spare tyre on road using the car's own tools.

Really on that moment I was missing that why I was not driving a BMW which has RFTs by default.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT View Post

I can tell from my experience that it was really hard to change the spare tyre on road using the car's own tools.

Really on that moment I was missing that why I was not driving a BMW which has RFTs by default.

Its good if BMW starts doing away with the crappy RFTs (making them an option).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
TurboT
Private First Class
Finland
Rep

It's not about the difficulty, it's about easiness if you have RFTs and because outside temp was -10C.

And think if you need to change it on high way...

I was not in high way, but came to my mind.

Last edited by TurboT; 12-20-2009 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Trust me I had a couple of punctured RFT tires, and they weren't pleasant experiences. I'd rather have changed my spares than deal with RFTs. A few reasons:

1. You can't get it repaired -- no reputable shop will patch a RFT tire because the sidewall strength has already been compromised in case you have another flat.

2. It's difficult to get them swapped out easily -- most shops don't carry RFTs of the right size in stock, and you have to wait a few days for the tires to be ordered in. This put your car out of commission for a few days at least. If you want to change in matching pairs (always recommended), that's a lot of $$.

If you are unlucky enough to have a flat in the middle of nowhere, then you are stuck there until your tires arrive. This makes less than ideal for long distance trips.

3. There is no good reason to put up with the nosy and stiff ride. Some mention "weight saving", and if BMW is REALLY concerned about it, BMW wouldn't have made the car larger and heavier in every iteration.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
... I guess it means BMW will include a spare with non-RFT vehicles?

No they will not, they will include a mobility kit which is nothing but the SLIME product that can be obtained at autozone.
      12-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
No they will not, they will include a mobility kit which is nothing but the SLIME product that can be obtained at autozone.
I guess anything is possible, but BMW has never included a mobility kit on a non-M vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
I guess anything is possible, but BMW has never included a mobility kit on a non-M vehicle.
Check out the F10 catalog, at the end where there is a chart of options based on each trim and model that does not have the RFTs standard has another option above "Mobility set" as standard.
      12-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #11
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Check out the F10 catalog, at the end where there is a chart of options based on each trim and model that does not have the RFTs standard has another option above "Mobility set" as standard.
Hmm... you are right. I don't like this a bit although as Alchem already said above we'll probably get RFTs standard (which makes the whole point moot).

I can try to understand inclusion of the mobility kit on an M-car, but I wonder what BMW was thinking (or not thinking)?! The Mobility Kit is a PITA, and tire installers HATE it when I bring in the wheel that was fixed with this goo stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #12
TurboT
Private First Class
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Trust me I had a couple of punctured RFT tires, and they weren't pleasant experiences. I'd rather have changed my spares than deal with RFTs. A few reasons:

1. You can't get it repaired -- no reputable shop will patch a RFT tire because the sidewall strength has already been compromised in case you have another flat.

2. It's difficult to get them swapped out easily -- most shops don't carry RFTs of the right size in stock, and you have to wait a few days for the tires to be ordered in. This put your car out of commission for a few days at least. If you want to change in matching pairs (always recommended), that's a lot of $$.

If you are unlucky enough to have a flat in the middle of nowhere, then you are stuck there until your tires arrive. This makes less than ideal for long distance trips.

3. There is no good reason to put up with the nosy and stiff ride. Some mention "weight saving", and if BMW is REALLY concerned about it, BMW wouldn't have made the car larger and heavier in every iteration.
Those are very valid points, thanks for sharing.

But on the other hand if you have the mobility kit and you fill the tire with that stuff, I guess tire installer are not so happy. Is there any way to fix the tire or is it game over and you need to anyway buy a new tire ?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are very valid points, thanks for sharing.

But on the other hand if you have the mobility kit and you fill the tire with that stuff, I guess tire installer are not so happy. Is there any way to fix the tire or is it game over and you need to anyway buy a new tire ?
I think you are referring to the M Mobility Kit fluid? If so, yes, I agree that the tire installers absolutely hate it. The last time I took one of those, the tires installers spent a good hour cleaning the wheel up.

Despite being difficult to clean it up, I think the can be repaired if no other damage has been done. I've never tried it so I am not sure. (when I had a flat fixed with the mobility kit, I just replaced it with a new one to be on the safe side).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #14
TurboT
Private First Class
Finland
Rep

Quote:
I think you are referring to the M Mobility Kit fluid? If so, yes, I agree that the tire installers absolutely hate it. The last time I took one of those, the tires installers spent a good hour cleaning the wheel up.

Despite being difficult to clean it up, I think the can be repaired if no other damage has been done. I've never tried it so I am not sure. (when I had a flat fixed with the mobility kit, I just replaced it with a new one to be on the safe side).
Yes that fluid stuff I meant. Positive thing is that it still seems possible to fix the tire after cleaning it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
MikeTerp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30/340

Quote:

+1. My dealer gave me new Conti RFTs to replace my Bridgestone EL42s on my E90 at 8K miles due to cupping and excessive noise. The Contis were better, but I finally gave up on them at 30K and put on GFT Michelin Pilot Exaltos which handle and ride better with much less noise. I bought a Conti kit (tire goop and pump) for emergencies. I TRULY hope BMW starts making GFTs at least an option. If RFTs were the panacea BMW thinks they are, all manufacturers would have run to them. Has not happened.
Appreciate 0