E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > C63's don't like tyres (or wheels)!

01-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

C63's don't like tyres (or wheels)!

I braved the cold weather to clean the Merc today and decided that due to the recent wayward handling (i.e. NO grip at the rear in the wet ), I'd check the rear tyres. The car has only just gone over 5k miles so I anticipated that they might only have 3-4mm left on them.

Well, imagine my shock when I had a little feel of the tyre and find almost utter smoothness! So, I take the wheels off for further investigation and find one rear tyre is illegal across the whole width with the inside edge nearly down to the inside structure of the tyre. The other rear tyre, which was replaced when the car had done just over 1000 miles due to a puncture was on about 2mm!

So, I reckon the rear tyres are just about done in around 4.5k miles which although slightly better than the 40-odd miles Top Gear got out of a set, is still alarming given I haven't even done any track days in it yet! Has anyone gone through a set so fast?

To add salt to the wound, I also found that the rear wheel that got a puncture a couple of months ago is ruined I do remember that whatever caused the puncture did make a hell of noise and it seems it went straight through and put a huge dent in the middle of the wheel. No wonder the car shakes from the back at (very) high speed - the wheel has a huge bump in the middle of it! I can't believe the people who fitted the tyre didn't tell me the wheel was wrecked!

I've tried to capture the damage in a few photo's but they really don't highlight the extent of the dent....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

oh dear , that is going to be big bucks mate
      01-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

just noticed all the weights as well no wonder with a dent like that in the wheel
      01-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Fook lucky you spotted that mate!

I'm surprised you have got through your tyres so quickly.

How do you rate the Yokohomos?
      01-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
It'll hammer out alright.
      01-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Ooops, oh dear Andrew not good eh. Bloody plonkers not telling you about that damage to the wheel ffs!

How much for a new wheel do you reckon?

As for the tyre wear hmmm, I got 5k out of a set of rears on the Porka T (Pirellis PZero Rossos), no track work just 'normal' driving. Was told it was about right depending on how you drive. Worth it for the fun factor though.

Hope you can get it all sorted ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
just noticed all the weights as well no wonder with a dent like that in the wheel
Do you reckon that even with all those weights the wheel still won't balance right? Above 120 mph there is a shaking through the car like the rear wheels aren't balanced (obviously, I only know this from trying it my local private runway as doing this speed on a public road is against the law).

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Fook lucky you spotted that mate!

I'm surprised you have got through your tyres so quickly.

How do you rate the Yokohomos?
Yeah - very lucky! I was going to take the car back to MB to complain about the shaking but thought it may be difficult to get them to replicate it due to the speed required. Hopefully a new wheel and new boots will sort it!

The Yoko's are actually quite good BUT....they are incredibly expensive and hard to get hold of. The C63 is the only car that seems to take the size of tyre fitted and Yoko don't make enough of them - I've had two punctures since I've had the car and each time it's cost me over £300 as I can only get hold of them from Mercedes stealers.

I think I'm going to take this opportunity to change to the only other MB approved tyre for this car which are Continental Sport Contact 3's - even the MO ones (Mercedes Only) are freely available at Elite and cost 'just' £190 for the fronts and £220 for the rears!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

personally I think the tyre fitter should of known this wheel was damaged or a least checked for damage ,no way should you need as many wieghts as that on a car like yours . jmo. Also look where the wieghts are .very close to the damage .
      01-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

btw what Yoko's are they ?
      01-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Same as me, almost... I do tyres quick also!

SHAME about the fooked rim tho mate. Fuckin love that thing.
      01-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
btw what Yoko's are they ?
Advan Sport
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep

Thought they might be , I have the AD08's and they are very good .
      01-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Wheel is costing me £480 and I guess I haven't got much choice other than to buy it!

Good news on the tyres though - if £205 a tyre can ever be called good news?

Compared to around £350ish last time when I got the puncture I'm actually quite happy with this price! Got them from Elite Direct who can now get hold of them straight away - Yokohama must have made some more!

So, overall the car has cost me a not inconsiderable £890 today for what will look exactly the same as before. At least it should have some grip again though!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
That tyre fitter who allowed that wheel back onto your car needs his ass kicked bigstyle.
      01-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
That tyre fitter who allowed that wheel back onto your car needs his ass kicked bigstyle.
So many cowboys in that industry mate.

I always supervise when they do mine.
      01-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I burnt through a set of fronts when I got my first car (Astra Coupe Turbo) in 6,000 miles (within 6 months) back in 2001. Wasn't brave enought to tell my boss at the time so took it really easy for the next 6 months before plucking up the courage to raise the subject. I did drive it like a loon though (some things never change).

£205 for a tyre sounds very good to me. When I had a puncture in my 19s RFT, which destroyed the tyre in minutes, I paid around £350 for a replacement; highly annoying. Had to squint to see your tyre in the photos; they're like elastic bands.

The new alloy is a kick in the balls though.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Advans are known to wear fast. I had the Advan sport on my Z4M and they didn't last very long. I didn't find them that good... and got loud. As you're going through them so fast, I would try the conti. I expect them to be quite a bit better then the Advan.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
So many cowboys in that industry mate.
Probably...but I didn't go anywhere near the 'tyre' industry - it was the Mercedes main dealer that I bought the car from who replaced that tyre as they were the only ones who could get hold of one at the time. A missed trick on their part though - thought they would have taken the opportunity to get more money out of me by insisting I bought a new wheel!

Luckily, they're not my 'local' Mercedes dealer who I am now dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
IHad to squint to see your tyre in the photos; they're like elastic bands.

The new alloy is a kick in the balls though.
They are very low profile (30's) so thats probably why I get punctures so easy and why the wheel got so easily damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
Advans are known to wear fast. I had the Advan sport on my Z4M and they didn't last very long. I didn't find them that good... and got loud. As you're going through them so fast, I would try the conti. I expect them to be quite a bit better then the Advan.
Probably right, and now you mention it, they did get noisy). I was going to get the Conti's but the front tyres are too good to waste and I'm a fussy bugger who wouldn't have different tyres front to rear (don't ask why, I'm just anal about stuff like that).

So, I've gone for another pair of Yoko's and when these wear out next month the fronts will be ready for replacement and I'll get 4 Conti's.

That is, of course, if I still have the car by then!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #19
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Probably right, and now you mention it, they did get noisy). I was going to get the Conti's but the front tyres are too good to waste and I'm a fussy bugger who wouldn't have different tyres front to rear (don't ask why, I'm just anal about stuff like that).

So, I've gone for another pair of Yoko's and when these wear out next month the fronts will be ready for replacement and I'll get 4 Conti's.

That is, of course, if I still have the car by then!
Would have done the same, I don't like having different tires on front and back
Appreciate 0