Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > I hate trying to decide what flat tire solution to use

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-07-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I hate trying to decide what flat tire solution to use

Id hate to drive around with a big ass spare tire and jack in my trunk all the time. I could barely fit anything else in there if I did that. And the fixaflat or slime bottles can interfere with the tpms and dont work in an extreme blow out.

Im thinking about taking an air compressor and/or a can of tpms safe slime with me for short trips, but any trip over 50 miles or something take the spare. Maybe I should have just stayed with the runflats and bought the damn tire insurance.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
jayhudson
Ex-CCA racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

If you're willing to spend the money on the Tischer emergency spare kit it really doesn't take up that much room. Depends on what you want to carry. I haven't tried but I'll bet I can get my golf clubs and cart in there.

Jay
Attached Images

01-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Thanks for the pic. Where does the jack go? Inside the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Id hate to drive around with a big ass spare tire and jack in my trunk all the time. I could barely fit anything else in there if I did that. And the fixaflat or slime bottles can interfere with the tpms and dont work in an extreme blow out.

Im thinking about taking an air compressor and/or a can of tpms safe slime with me for short trips, but any trip over 50 miles or something take the spare. Maybe I should have just stayed with the runflats and bought the damn tire insurance.
I would vote for the spare solution. As someone who tows a 3 place jet ski trailer behind my truck every weekend for 7 months a year I've had my share of flats on the side of the road. Nothing will solve that but a spare. I've used every form of slime and fix a flat there is and they usually can't get me home. I carry 2 spares for the trailer!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
richmalk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Jayhudson, what's the source for your tire cover and webbing?

I would also refer people to my post, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337856, which lists an alternative to the Tischer spare.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
jayhudson
Ex-CCA racer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Thanks for the pic. Where does the jack go? Inside the wheel?
Yes. Jack, lug wrench, wheel chock and oddments tray are all included with the Tischer kit. I added a rag and pair of gloves.

Here's a link to my DIY with prices, links and pics. See my posts #16 and 24.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1365958

Jay
      01-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
jayhudson
Ex-CCA racer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmalk View Post
Jayhudson, what's the source for your tire cover and webbing?

I would also refer people to my post, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337856, which lists an alternative to the Tischer spare.
I ordered the cover off the bay. Made the strap. See link in post above.

Jay
      01-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
richmalk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Thanks for the info. Do you think the Jeep spare tire cover you ordered would be deep enough to cover the stock wheel and tire if you have to do a change (realizing that there would be an opening left on 1 side)?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
jayhudson
Ex-CCA racer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmalk View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you think the Jeep spare tire cover you ordered would be deep enough to cover the stock wheel and tire if you have to do a change (realizing that there would be an opening left on 1 side)?
Probably. It fits pretty tightly around circumference but there's lots of extra to cover a wider tire. It's advertisied to handle 26" tires. If we believe the e60 spare is 25.5", it'd be pretty tight on a 26" tire. But since the OE tire is a little smaller..... any problem would be cause by tread width not overall tire diameter.

Just be aware.... the cover is pretty flimsy. Light weight nylon that won't stand up to much abuse. Just makes it all look purdy

Jay
      01-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
MTibbs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I just got a "slime" 12v commpressor from Auto Zone for about 60 bucks and a plug kit. The commpressor comes with a light for finding whatever is in your tire. Also I have a pair of pliers to pull mout a nail, a razor blade to cut the excess off the plug, and an old blanket to lay on if I have to. Anything other than a nail or something the plug cant fix, I guess I hit the assist button.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

I am with you. I bought the same compressor at Sams club for $27, plug kit for $8, jack at a salvage yard for $20. Grant it won't fix a blow out that's when use AAA. If you need to buy a replacement tire how many places have the RFT? Most of the time if you do have a low tire or a flat you can air it up and get to a repair shop. There is always that one exception. Good luck
Appreciate 0