Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > question: fix OEM 18" wheels or buy new?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
question: fix OEM 18" wheels or buy new?

I had a quick question for the forum: do I fix all four 18" stock sport package wheels or do I just buy new 3rd party wheels? I have an '07 335i that I just bought and I got a quote from BMW that it would cost $650 to fix the curb rashed wheels. For $650 (since I paying for this out of pocket to keep my rates down) is getting close to buying new 3rd party wheels, which are probably lighter. So what should I do?

I do like the look of the stock wheels but I mean $650 to fix what I already have, I can slap some crazy all season/winter tires on them and never worry and get a new set of summer wheels with some summer rubber for just a few hundred more. So do I save my money, fix the BMW wheels and stick with a more all season tread on them or do I keep the BMW rims as is, and use the money to buy a second set of rims w/ tires for the summer months?

I live in MD btw, and snow is not a huge issue. I'm just not sure the best route here, I'm looking for a care-free driving experience, not showing or modding car much past this. But new rims do give the car a better "custom" look. Just torn at what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Buy another set. I have a friend who is selling 18" staggered CSL's for double that price w/ goof tires. LMK
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
I had a quick question for the forum: do I fix all four 18" stock sport package wheels or do I just buy new 3rd party wheels? I have an '07 335i that I just bought and I got a quote from BMW that it would cost $650 to fix the curb rashed wheels. For $650 (since I paying for this out of pocket to keep my rates down) is getting close to buying new 3rd party wheels, which are probably lighter. So what should I do?

I do like the look of the stock wheels but I mean $650 to fix what I already have, I can slap some crazy all season/winter tires on them and never worry and get a new set of summer wheels with some summer rubber for just a few hundred more. So do I save my money, fix the BMW wheels and stick with a more all season tread on them or do I keep the BMW rims as is, and use the money to buy a second set of rims w/ tires for the summer months?

I live in MD btw, and snow is not a huge issue. I'm just not sure the best route here, I'm looking for a care-free driving experience, not showing or modding car much past this. But new rims do give the car a better "custom" look. Just torn at what to do.
You should check around. The dealership here contracts out thier wheel repair so you may be getting a mark up price. You should be paying around $75-$125 for curb rash repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog 6 View Post
You should check around. The dealership here contracts out thier wheel repair so you may be getting a mark up price. You should be paying around $75-$125 for curb rash repair.
I haven't but a guy I know paid wheels america $130 for one rim to be repaired. I think heavy OEM = doesn't get bent so easily.

I've had 3 sets of 18's on my other car (Nissan) and every set got bent, even on seemingly innocent potholes. Suddenly $89-$129 rims aren't so cheap afterall. My last rims were 21 lbs. and two piece and only $119 ea. Went through 6 of them....going back to 215/55-16 are such a relief. Gained 2" of sidewall and total freedom from potholes....
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
So do I save my money, fix the BMW wheels and stick with a more all season tread on them or do I keep the BMW rims as is, and use the money to buy a second set of rims w/ tires for the summer months?
If I were you...I would keep them for winter use and get some clean 18-inch staggered rims with some really good summer rubber. Don't forget the TPMS, though. And yes, the OEM 162s are heavy, but they're also sturdy for the Mid-Atlantic potholes in the DC metro area where I live.

I think places like **********s have some decent prices on 18-inch staggered CSLs, if you like that style...

Ultimately, it is your call. I used to live in MD, now live in VA, but still in the DC metro area. I have two sets, but went the other way...162-style rims with Hankook summers....Love them! I have a set of winters on now... 18-inch square setup, with Continental winters. No runflats.... and I can roll in the snow and sleet without nary a care in the world.

My choice...love 'em...separate sets extend the life of the tires, too.

My $.02

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Cheap light wheels compromise strenghts and will bend easily when you hit potholes.

Fix your rims, but look for someone other than dealer, it should cost $100-125 / rim
not $650
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Firefly6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Xdrive

Keep the 162's. They're sexy, and much sought after used. (which is good in case you decide to part with them)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
The cost the dealer quoted to you for your OEM wheels repair may not be so bad if all four rims need to be done. You realize that the dealer will likely subcontract the repair. Depending on the degree of damage, people who repair rims charge from $50 for a putty-based fix to $150 for TIG-based repair and re-machining. You should make sure whether the cost quoted to you includes wheel re-balancing. There is no doubt that you can get many aftermarket wheels at low cost, but many aftermarket wheels are more susceptible to damage than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I vote keep the 162s. But I may or may not be biased.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Thanks for all the input!! I'm still conflicted on the issue, I do love the 162's and wouldn't mind keeping them (boat anchors or not). I have been shopping around for another set of wheels and I have to say, even though most of you say $650 is a lot, BBS CH's with some quality rubber are even more! (I have expensive taste =P )

To help you understand the condition of the wheels; they are not bent, no major curb rash (all the metal of the wheel is there). All the issue is the finish of the wheels and scratches that go down to the metal. So purely cosmetic but the wheels are 100% functionally a-ok. And all four have some version of cosmetic damage, some worse than others.

If I gave myself a budget of $1,500 (yes the BBS CH's were about $2,800 from what I saw) what options in wheels would you suggest? I love the last generation 5 series staggered 2 piece OEM BBS option but I want something more aggressive. I have no intention of dropping the car and I'll stick with staggered 18" rims so something that would give a more aggressive stance/look with just a wheel swap.

Wheels are always a tough one for me and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still undecided by the time I should be looking for winter tires, but I'm open to any idea's you'all have. So go ahead, show me your wheels, I'm really lost for idea's and could use some inspiration. I rather spend more to get the right set then to go cheap for a replica look; I'm still considering the BBS CH's FYI.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
fix it if you can!
      01-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
If I were you...I would keep them for winter use and get some clean 18-inch staggered rims with some really good summer rubber. Don't forget the TPMS, though. And yes, the OEM 162s are heavy, but they're also sturdy for the Mid-Atlantic potholes in the DC metro area where I live.

I think places like **********s have some decent prices on 18-inch staggered CSLs, if you like that style...

Ultimately, it is your call. I used to live in MD, now live in VA, but still in the DC metro area. I have two sets, but went the other way...162-style rims with Hankook summers....Love them! I have a set of winters on now... 18-inch square setup, with Continental winters. No runflats.... and I can roll in the snow and sleet without nary a care in the world.

My choice...love 'em...separate sets extend the life of the tires, too.

My $.02
Thanks for your kind words we can definably help you out with your situation!
Appreciate 0