E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > thinking about the 335i - Q's

11-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
denverlicious
Rep
Drives: 05 evo

thinking about the 335i - Q's

Well i currently have an evo pretty much done everything i can without upgrading the turbo. I just want to know if the 335i is going to be roughly the same upgrade path? ive never had experience with a twin turbo setup but i'd assume its fairly similar to a single turbo. anyways just a couple Q's that are pretty basic for turbo'ed cars.

-what is the stock exhaust size ex: 2.75" 3"?
-Is the BOV recirculating or VTA?
-is the stock suspension decent and are there coilovers out yet?
-Will the intercooler need to be upgraded?
-what PSI is the stock turbo running at?

as i said pretty basic. just want to know what im getting myself into.

thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
denverlicious
Rep

oh yea,

what rpm does the turbo kick in?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverlicious
Well i currently have an evo pretty much done everything i can without upgrading the turbo. I just want to know if the 335i is going to be roughly the same upgrade path? ive never had experience with a twin turbo setup but i'd assume its fairly similar to a single turbo. anyways just a couple Q's that are pretty basic for turbo'ed cars.

thanks guys!

I'll try to answer your question's........but you'll get most of them answered by reading shiv's threads.

Stock exhaust is 2.25
Stock turbo is running at 3-5 psi from 1000-4500 rpm and them 8.5 above 5k (i think)
Shiv has a modified piggyback (xede) with 2.5 catback putting down 333 RWP and 360 RWT. I think he upped the psi to 8-9 throughout the rpm range and up to 10-11 above 5500 rpm (?) Shiv says at the power levels he's running the stock intercooler is fine.

I don't know anything about suspension but I do know the e92 is running track times identical to current M3 (or with split seconds) so it must be pretty good.

I don't even know how bov's work so I'm sure someone else will go over that.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverlicious

thanks guys!
You're in the same boat as I am, man. I have an evo with stage 1 except for cams. It's a great car, I just wish I can drive it in peace.

I'm thinking of going the euro route as well, and the 335i has proof to be a car that is somewhat cheap yet still has the power to back it up. (By cheap I mean it costs a lot less than other cars that will do the same numbers).

I drove a 335i coupe and I was sold. The turbos spool incredibly fast.

If I get the car, I would just leave it pretty much stock. Lower it on coilover (yes, they are out...I know KW and Eibach makes them) and put them on nice wheels.

The stock bov is recirculating, but unlike the Evo, it is a MAP system, not MAF. This is why our cars suck at running VTA.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 04:32 AM   #5
adriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: soon to be

I just wanted to clarify that the exhaust is a complete dual 2.25 all the way back. IMO when an upgraded intercooler, and DPs come out there will be an 400whp, and 440 rwt somewhere between 12-14lbs. The big problem for upgrading the turbos is they are made out of a new material and are the only ones so far, they are also a one piece connected to the exhaust mani. Of course as soon as shiv fills it up with some decent 100+ octane hes probably already got those numbers or better.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

BOV is recirculating from what i have read
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
emos325
Streifenden Komet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 525i was a 325is

Garage List
it's a recirculator.
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow; F- That just go to driving school and you can do both.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
denverlicious
Rep

thanks guys! you hit the question right on the mark. Ill be looking for my 335i sometime in december, so im hoping to get some things ready for when i get it.

Anyone know what exhaust systems are out for the car so far other than the fab ones? cause i know there is going to be numberous vendors getting on this car, guess it's just taking some time.
Appreciate 0