Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
beeker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 3-series

My Experience With And A Couple Of Questions About The X1

Hi Everyone

I was in the process of purchasing a brand new 2.0d X-Drive but then stumbled on a demonstrator with all the optional extra's for £8k less than what it would cost new. So I snapped the dealers hand off.

I have now picked up my car and I have to say I am very impressed with it. I was a little worried about going from my £90 to this but I'm glad I took the plunge.

It's in white and has the following extra's:
18" Y-Spoke Alloy Wheels - Style 322
Fine Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim
Panoramic Glass Sunroof
Sun Protection Glass
Electric Folding Exterior Mirrors
Front Sports Seats
Front Seat Heating
Park Distance Control - Front & Rear
Rain Sensor & Auto Headlight Activation
Xenon Headlights
USB/iPod Audio Interface
Professional Navigation System
BMW ConnectedDrive-Assist
BMW ConnectedDrive-Online
Voice Control
Bluetooth Telephone Preparation & Telematics
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound System

Just have a couple of questions if anyone can help me with:
1) Can I replace the standard door handles with ones that have the LED's in them that you get as part of the comfort package? Why the dealer never order that I don't really know seeing as they put everything else on it.

2) With the HDD based sat nav pro, do you get a DVD also with it?

3) When you order the USB/iPOD option. Do you get the iPOD cable with it as standard. My iPod Touch won't work with it and I've read that I need to order the cable from BMW to get it to function correctly. The cable costs £46 which I think is a tad bit steep.

I've had the car now for a couple of weeks and can say that indeed the engine is noisier than my 320d SE E90 when idle but I kind of expected that as I've had 1 series diesels in the past when my E90 has been in for a service and they have been noisey too. Motorway driving is fine.[B][U]

The 18" run flats are very hard and noisey. They only quieten down on newly laid road surfaces. This has always been a trade off when using run flats. I choose to keep them on though because I know if my wife and kids were in it on their own and got a puncture at least they can still get home ok.

One annoying thing though is on my 3 series when I held the lock button down the exterior merrors would fold in. This one does do it. I rang my BMW dealer who said that BMW decided not to include this function as it was deemed surplus to requirements. SHe said the new X5 doesn't doe it either. Well done BMW for the though process on that one.

Another thing I do miss is the rest option on the climate control. On my £90 you could press the rest function that the car's climate control would still operate for a set time which was great when popping into a shop for 10 mins and the car would stay warm. For some reason this has been replaced with the ALL button and all this does is make the passenger side temperature settings match the drivers side. Pointless.

Apart from that it's fantastic. I suppose the above aren't issues/moans, they are just change.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

Hey there,

congrats to your new car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker View Post
2) With the HDD based sat nav pro, do you get a DVD also with it?
No you don't get any DVDs. If you need to update your maps, you buy a 3DVD-Set from your dealer, or you can choose, that your dealer copies the new map-data via LAN onto your CIC-Navigation-Computer.

Quote:
3) When you order the USB/iPOD option. Do you get the iPOD cable with it as standard. My iPod Touch won't work with it and I've read that I need to order the cable from BMW to get it to function correctly. The cable costs £46 which I think is a tad bit steep.
The cable is *not* included.

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 04:27 AM   #3
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers Darky, that's cleared that one up for me.

Do you or anyone else know if you can get a non branded BMW iPod cable. As soon as BMW put their name to it, they seem to take the p and charge over the odds.

Thanks again, Tim
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

Hi,

Quote:
Do you or anyone else know if you can get a non branded BMW iPod cable. As soon as BMW put their name to it, they seem to take the p and charge over the odds.
The special BMW-cable ha a controller unit attached to the cable and occupies both, the USB and the Line-IN-Port your BMW. On the iPod end the cable got the normal dock-connector-thingy. So, you need to buy the BMW cable - there doesn't exist any 3rd-party-cable to my knowledge.

The iDrive Computer controls the iPod via USB , the audio gets out only analgue (DRM etc... well in short terms: apple suxx).

Some Bimmers (e.g. the current 3series built in March or later) and from Sept. 2010 onwards all bimmers with the USB-Audio-Interface get a new revison of the interface. You can then use every Dock2USB cable. The new revision of the CIC also feature some neat specials like showing cd-covers on the nav-screen... If parts of those feature will be available as a software update is undetermined till today.

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Hi ya

Thanks for the info. So fingers crossed we should be able to get a software update to enable some of the new features? The one thing that frustrates me is how BMW keep all this info so close to their chest.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Sat Nav Postcodes

Hi Darky

You might be able to answer this one for me. I was under the impression that the new HDD based Sat Nav Professional had full postcode entry.

I might be doing something wrong but it seem to just allow say LE3 3 and doesn't let me enter the full postcode in.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Tim
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
HORACE
England
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Hi Darky

You might be able to answer this one for me. I was under the impression that the new HDD based Sat Nav Professional had full postcode entry.

I might be doing something wrong but it seem to just allow say LE3 3 and doesn't let me enter the full postcode in.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Tim
That was going to be my question too. Local dealer says they are still not taking 7 digit postcodes. Jeez. My old Garmin had that 3 years ago or more. Apparently they have to pay for all the postcode data and not yet agreed to do so. France and Germany use 5 digit postcodes.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
HORACE
England
Rep

Quote:

One annoying thing though is on my 3 series when I held the lock button down the exterior merrors would fold in. This one does do it. I rang my BMW dealer who said that BMW decided not to include this function as it was deemed surplus to requirements. SHe said the new X5 doesn't doe it either. Well done BMW for the though process on that one.

Isn't there an option giving folding mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

I've got the option for folding mirriors on mine
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
HORACE
England
Rep

Quote:
I've got the option for folding mirriors on mine
Thanks. And do they fold when you lock the car -otherwise they are pretty pointless?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Borsta
-10 X1 23d on order!
Sweden
Rep
Drives: -07 118d -06 525iT -10 X1 23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORACE View Post
Thanks. And do they fold when you lock the car -otherwise they are pretty pointless?
No, they do not!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 03:50 AM   #12
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

No, they don't fold in when you lock the car. Very annoying. BMW in their wisdon decided that it wasn't a facility that we needed anymore. So the only way to fold them is by pressing the button before you get out.

I was talking to my local dealership and non of the new models from the new X5 onwards have had the facility removed too.

You might as well save your money and spend it on another rip off option.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
Dirk.xd
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23d

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
Some Bimmers (e.g. the current 3series built in March or later) and from Sept. 2010 onwards all bimmers with the USB-Audio-Interface get a new revison of the interface. You can then use every Dock2USB cable. The new revision of the CIC also feature some neat specials like showing cd-covers on the nav-screen... If parts of those feature will be available as a software update is undetermined till today.
Any news on the software update? Is it available?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
boxy
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 E87 R56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk.xd View Post
Any news on the software update? Is it available?

No, it is not available on the options you can changed, even from the ISTA/P.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Hi Everyone

I was in the process of purchasing a brand new 2.0d X-Drive but then stumbled on a demonstrator with all the optional extra's for £8k less than what it would cost new. So I snapped the dealers hand off.

Another thing I do miss is the rest option on the climate control. On my £90 you could press the rest function that the car's climate control would still operate for a set time which was great when popping into a shop for 10 mins and the car would stay warm. For some reason this has been replaced with the ALL button and all this does is make the passenger side temperature settings match the drivers side. Pointless.

Hi Beeker, I see a lot of your questions have been answered, maybe I can help with one more. My X1 does have the "rest function" on the heater/blower although I do not have the iDrive option. Mine is set through the radio interface and allows for immediate or a pre-set time for it to go on for up to 30 min. Its not well explained in my manual and if it was not for my dealer showing me on delivery I probably would have missed it. I actually use it a lot when like you say I pop into the shops late at night. Keeps the car nice and warm for when I get back. Interestingly I understand that on the continent you can also have an auxilliary heater fitted but its not an option in the UK.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #16
geotah
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Originally Posted by beeker
1) Can I replace the standard door handles with ones that have the LED's in them that you get as part of the comfort package? Why the dealer never order that I don't really know seeing as they put everything else on it.

Hi beeker

I myself asked for a retrofit of these leds in the door's handles and the answer was that such modification is costly unadvisable. (although if you ordered this option with the order of the car, is cheap enough)
Appreciate 0