Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Swapping Runflats In/Out

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Swoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord EXR

Swapping Runflats In/Out

The BMW dealership I talked to said that when you take runflat tires off a rim, the tire can become damaged and it's really hard on the tire.

I think they want me to buy a full winter RFT package from them though, rather than going elsewhere, since they know not many tire shops around here carry RFTs.

If I swap the RFTs off my E90 (325i sport package '06) for winter tires, are they basically unusable afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh
The BMW dealership I talked to said that when you take runflat tires off a rim, the tire can become damaged and it's really hard on the tire.

I think they want me to buy a full winter RFT package from them though, rather than going elsewhere, since they know not many tire shops around here carry RFTs.

If I swap the RFTs off my E90 (325i sport package '06) for winter tires, are they basically unusable afterwards?
I think you need to go to another dealer, it sounds like they have Freddie Krueger changing tires back there!
I myself would buy cheap rims and winter tires instead of changing every season. There is a greater chance of hitting a pothole or curb that is covered in snow and that could mess up your good rims.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
good point.
but im using my stock wheels. f it. if they get bent it was written in the cards.

and deff. stay away from that place. they're jay jerking people!

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

You can do it, but it's an excellent idea to get new rims for your snows and avoid the mounting hassles and expense -- you will recoup some of the cost when you sell your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
You can do it, but it's an excellent idea to get new rims for your snows and avoid the mounting hassles and expense -- you will recoup some of the cost when you sell your car.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
++++2

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Plus, its no big deal to switch over your own wheels this way - at your own convenience. Just need a jack ($60), a torque wrench ($30) and some space. Due to a pucture, I swapped my full set twice int he past three weeks. Much better than having to make an appointment, wait around, pay for the swap, etc, etc. Also, virtually any garage (e.g. local, convenient) will do this for you for a few bucks. No need to take it to your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana
Plus, its no big deal to switch over your own wheels this way - at your own convenience. Just need a jack ($60), a torque wrench ($30) and some space. Due to a pucture, I swapped my full set twice int he past three weeks. Much better than having to make an appointment, wait around, pay for the swap, etc, etc. Also, virtually any garage (e.g. local, convenient) will do this for you for a few bucks. No need to take it to your dealer.
Indeed. Also if the OP were to rip off the tires every season and re-mount the other set onto the rim, the labour cost alone is at least $30 per RFT, plus taxes.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #9
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

being as it is very hard to mount rf tires, you really should not swap them in and out. The sidewall can become punctured, and then your SOL with your tires.

As others have said, just pay a little extra for a winter set, and you can sell them when you sell your car...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
arbitrage
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Everything I've read says the mounting and re-mounting of RFs is tricky (ie only a shop that regularly deals with RFs should do it) and it is risky especially if you do it twice a year for the say 5yrs. Much easier and better to just get some winter rims!
Appreciate 0