BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

Mporium BMW

05-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
chaos888
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Meisterschaft/GT Haus Feedback

Short Story - Bought a Meisterschaft GTS from GT Haus, wasn't 100% satisfied with it, GT Haus took it back and gave me a full refund.

Long Story - I wasn't happy with the stock exhaust on my e90 M3. Inside, it sounded boring and generic. Outside, it sounded okay but I wanted something more aggressive and sporty.

I spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos and the Meisterschaft sounded the best to me. I didn't want a "sport" exhaust because they all sounded pretty much stock to me. The Eisenmann Race sounded pretty good too, very close to the Meisterschaft, but it was also more expensive. From what I could find out, both had drone which I wasn't happy about. Most said it was "livable" though.

I called GT Haus and based on what I was looking for, the GTS was the one I ordered. I wanted the GT2 sound but didn't want a super loud exhaust. I questioned the salesman about the drone and he claimed it did have drone but it was "the good kind" (there's no such thing). I was able to get a great deal on the GTS so I decided to go for it. The salesman was confident I'd have great feedback for the unit.

A week later it arrived and I had it installed. When I first started driving it was LOUD! Too loud. I would've preferred it to be halfway between stock volume and the GTS. Later it got quieter and the volume was actually acceptable to me.

The real problem was the drone. Under certain conditions, the drone was very loud - deafeningly loud. Under load going uphill mainly - which is just about everywhere where I live. On the freeway it was impossible to have a conversation with passengers when cruising at 80 in 7th gear if the road was inclined even a little. Going 70 or 90 and all of a sudden it was okay. There were even situations on the freeway when you could barely hear the exhaust. But once the road started going up the drone kicked in badly.

I've only ever had one other aftermarket exhaust before, a long time ago. I never bought another until the GTS because the drone was too annoying and it was less than a quarter of the volume of the GTS's drone!

The initial installation happened on the weekend and I called them right away on the Monday. I wasn't calling looking for a refund, I just wanted to give them my feedback since they were so confident it would be positive. I was resigned to the fact that I would have to sell it. Well after telling them what I thought, they offered to take it back and give me a refund. It was a pleasant surprise.

I actually had the exhaust on for about a week because I couldn't get an appointment immediately to get the GTS taken off. GT Haus was cool with it. Once I got it off, I packaged it up good. They had it picked up from my house, hassle-free, they got it back and I got a full refund.

Towards the end, I knew I was going to miss it a little. From the outside the GTS sounds SO GOOD!!! If it wasn't for the drone, I would've kept it. Maybe if I lived in a flatter region or had 6MT I might not have known how bad the drone could be?

Bottom line - The GTS sounds every bit as good as it does in the numerous YouTube videos (if you're into it's sound) but it drones.

GT Haus rocked the house with great customer service - from beginning to end.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Tamiya

Good to know about your experience. I wonder, isn't the GTS supposed to be on the quieter side compared to the GT or GT2? I guess you are getting a lot of drone because you have DCT? I have GT on my 6mt, the drone is very minimal if at all.
      05-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
volinder
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw wannabe

Thanks for sharing your experience.
2013 M5 6 speed
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
chaos888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorrig View Post
Good to know about your experience. I wonder, isn't the GTS supposed to be on the quieter side compared to the GT or GT2? I guess you are getting a lot of drone because you have DCT? I have GT on my 6mt, the drone is very minimal if at all.
GTS is supposed to be a little quieter than the GT. Maybe the difference in gearing is causing it so it's perfectly in the drone sweet spot. Doesn't seem likely though since I was getting drone when the engine was under enough load.

My theory after reading all the research done by the guys that modified their stock exhausts, specifically info from Dinan about their exhaust, is because the GTS is a straight through design with a Y for the duel tips it drones. If the GTS had a single tip per side like the Dinan, it probably wouldn't have droned as badly, if at all. I'm just guessing since I've never heard Dinan's exhaust in person.

The GT and GT2 are more like the stock design with 90 degree bends that reduces drone (simplification - you'll have to read the Dinan doc).

Maybe I would've been okay with a GT. Who knows? I'd be afraid to do get a GT without hearing it in person first.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't mind letting you hear mine but I'm in So.Cal.
      05-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

The GTS is quieter than the GT, though it drones a lot more because of the dual canister design of the mufflers.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
chaos888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorrig View Post
I don't mind letting you hear mine but I'm in So.Cal.
Too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
The GTS is quieter than the GT, though it drones a lot more because of the dual canister design of the mufflers.
Learned a lot from this experience. How bad is the drone on the GT?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos888 View Post
Too bad.

Learned a lot from this experience. How bad is the drone on the GT?
It's honestly not bad at all. I'll be turning 30 at the end of the year, so I'm not exactly at the younger end of the M3 owner's age group, but I'm not at the older end either. Younger guys can't tell what drone is because the 5 inch fart can muffler on their Civics and Integras sounded mint and the drone doesn't get to them, but I definitely know what it is and hate drone. The GT doesn't drone at all, except for the sweet spot at about 3000rpm in 6th gear while cruising down the freeway. But even then, it's not bad at all. Very tolerable. You will notice it a bit, though, and using your bluetooth is totally doable with the little amount of drone. However, when the windows go down it's all over. You can hear how loud that puppy is and let me tell you, it sounds amazing!!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's honestly not bad at all. I'll be turning 30 at the end of the year, so I'm not exactly at the younger end of the M3 owner's age group, but I'm not at the older end either. Younger guys can't tell what drone is because the 5 inch fart can muffler on their Civics and Integras sounded mint and the drone doesn't get to them, but I definitely know what it is and hate drone. The GT doesn't drone at all, except for the sweet spot at about 3000rpm in 6th gear while cruising down the freeway. But even then, it's not bad at all. Very tolerable. You will notice it a bit, though, and using your bluetooth is totally doable with the little amount of drone. However, when the windows go down it's all over. You can hear how loud that puppy is and let me tell you, it sounds amazing!!
+1. I'm also in the same age bracket as MMMorish.

I have my 3 month old baby in the backseat and she loves it. Falls right to sleep as soon as I take off.
      05-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
chaos888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Do you notice the drone getting louder when going up hill on the freeway? I spend quite a bit of time on the freeway during my commute and the drone on the GTS was right there in the sweet spot where I cruise.

I would set off car alarms in my parking garage at work just starting up the car. It was pretty funny.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Do you notice the drone getting louder when going up hill on the freeway? I spend quite a bit of time on the freeway during my commute and the drone on the GTS was right there in the sweet spot where I cruise.

I would set off car alarms in my parking garage at work just starting up the car. It was pretty funny.
Don't kid yourself, setting off car alarms I good thing! Any exhaust will drone a bit more going up hill, but it's not bad at all. Mind you, we don't have many hills here in Toronto.

I'd I were you, I'd try to meet up with someone local that has a GT and go for a ride. That's the only way you'll know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
chaos888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Don't kid yourself, setting off car alarms I good thing! Any exhaust will drone a bit more going up hill, but it's not bad at all. Mind you, we don't have many hills here in Toronto.

I'd I were you, I'd try to meet up with someone local that has a GT and go for a ride. That's the only way you'll know for sure.
DVP is more than hilly enough to get bad drone with the GTS. Toronto has it's hilly areas. If you had the GTS you would know the drone. Glad you don't.

I'm asking around. Hopefully I'll get to hear it in person. Until then I'm pretty happy with my modded OEM.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 05:00 AM   #13
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
DVP is more than hilly enough to get bad drone with the GTS. Toronto has it's hilly areas. If you had the GTS you would know the drone. Glad you don't.

I'm asking around. Hopefully I'll get to hear it in person. Until then I'm pretty happy with my modded OEM.
You must have visited Toronto before. Yeah, the DVP has it's hills, but I live in Vaughan (city just north of Toronto) and work about 10 mins from home, so I don't get many hills on my average daily commute.

Yeah, I remember Billy at Vivid telling me the same thing about the GTS, that it droned. Kind of sucks because on the YouTube clips it sounds really nice. I encourage you to hear the GT, you'll like it. Driving in to work this morning I actually remembered this thread and kept the car at 3000rpm on the highway and the drone is such a low volume humm that most people wouldn't ever notice it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

Hmmm.. well, have you considered getting the GTC system?

Its a valve controlled exhaust system. When the valve is closed, it sounds pretty close like stock and if its wide open, well yea, it drones.... I drove it all the way to vegas like that.. yea.. it was pretty bad.. but you can close the valve and it sounds fine!

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
chaos888
Private
Rep

Quote:
You must have visited Toronto before.
Born and raised actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_LIN View Post
Hmmm.. well, have you considered getting the GTC system?

Its a valve controlled exhaust system. When the valve is closed, it sounds pretty close like stock and if its wide open, well yea, it drones.... I drove it all the way to vegas like that.. yea.. it was pretty bad.. but you can close the valve and it sounds fine!

Ed Lin
Yeah, I asked about it after returning the GTS. So does it drone with the valves closed or does it sound stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #16
CDT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 Convertible

Would love to hear the outcome of this! Meisterschaft has the valve controlled? I thought it was just Kreissig...? Sorry to jump in on the thread, but my GTS drones as well. If I just drove it around town, it wouldn't be half bad, but cruising at 70mph+ it's annoying.

Anyone want to trade...trade + cash for something like Akrapovic or Eisenmann Sport...suggestions? I only have about a 100 miles on my GTS.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/H2/SL350/Panamera 4/

its just like Gruppe-M titanium exhaust, i used to have that for my e46 and sold it after a while couldnt take the drone and that much loud, even cop stopped me and he was like even airplane is not that loud and not even able conversation inside the car and had to sell it.. its almost the same story with titanium exhaust..

| e93 M-DCT ESS VT2-625 | Akra Slip-on | Challenge Race Catless x-pipe | Challenge front lip | Challenge Diffuser | Carbon front grilles | defi gauges control unit | Macht Schnell gauge panel | E93 M3 trunk Spoiler | IND Carbon Fiber Side Markers |
Appreciate 0