E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Hi Shiv, any updates on this?

12-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Hi Shiv, any updates on this?

From 7:00 AM yesterday

aw shucks... quit it I'm going to be dyno tuning another Steptronic today and will try out some of the new ideas being tossed around. William-- I may give you a call to talk more about what you mentioned the other day regarding holding a gear.

-shiv

I know we are spoiled but I am very curious about the second Steptronic equipped car you tuned yesterday? Did it actually happen and if some how'd it go. Would love to hear the numbers and details,

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1
From 7:00 AM yesterday

aw shucks... quit it I'm going to be dyno tuning another Steptronic today and will try out some of the new ideas being tossed around. William-- I may give you a call to talk more about what you mentioned the other day regarding holding a gear.

-shiv

I know we are spoiled but I am very curious about the second Steptronic equipped car you tuned yesterday? Did it actually happen and if some how'd it go. Would love to hear the numbers and details,

Thanks
Howdy,
We did the installation and every turned out as expected. However, we didn't dyno test the car since we still haven't found a good way to keep the Step from downshifting. I'm looking into that at the moment. If there is no way, we'll just go back to doing what we did in Texas (4000rpm to 7000rpm pull). Fine for tuning and power verification, but kinda lame since we can't demonstrate what the bottom half of the powerband looks like. But then again, with a Step, users aren't going to find a condition where they are WOT at under 4000rpm. So I guess it's not all bad. The customer, who wants to remain nameless, provided me a review to post up. I'll do that when I get back to the office later today. Like Mr. X and Mr. Y from Canada, he wanted to remain nameless

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Howdy,
But then again, with a Step, users aren't going to find a condition where they are WOT at under 4000rpm. So I guess it's not all bad.
-shiv
Um, I do this every day on the highway... I drive in manual mode a lot.
I am at WOT at under 4000rpm more than I am WOT at above 4000rpm...

Not sure what you were trying to say here...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r
Um, I do this every day on the highway... I drive in manual mode a lot.
I am at WOT at under 4000rpm more than I am WOT at above 4000rpm...

Not sure what you were trying to say here...
If you go full throttle at, say 3000rpm, doesn't the Step downshift by itself? In my experience, it will. The paddles seem to work as a way of 'suggesting' a gear. It doesn't offer full absolute control. This is why you don't need to shift down to 1st everytime you come to a stop as the Step does this for you automatically.

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
If you go full throttle at, say 3000rpm, doesn't the Step downshift by itself? In my experience, it will. The paddles seem to work as a way of 'suggesting' a gear. It doesn't offer full absolute control. This is why you don't need to shift down to 1st everytime you come to a stop as the Step does this for you automatically.

-shiv
Short answer... No. over 20 mph you have full control of which gear to be in, you can do a full 1300 to 7000 rpm runout in 4th gear (just dont push the kickdown!)

Long answer... It will downshift while in manual mode only under 3 conditions...
1. Under 20mph it will not go above 3rd.
2. Under 10mph it will not go above 2nd.
3. While pushing the kickdown, it will shift into the lowest possible gear.

Remember this post?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38707

Also, make sure you have the lever in DS mode, and then do your first manual shift with the lever, then the car will be in manual mode for shifting with paddles or the stick until you move the lever back over to the right.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r
Short answer... No. over 20 mph you have full control of which gear to be in, you can do a full 1300 to 7000 rpm runout in 4th gear (just dont push the kickdown!)

Long answer... It will downshift while in manual mode only under 3 conditions...
1. Under 20mph it will not go above 3rd.
2. Under 10mph it will not go above 2nd.
3. While pushing the kickdown, it will shift into the lowest possible gear.

Remember this post?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38707

Also, make sure you have the lever in DS mode, and then do your first manual shift with the lever, then the car will be in manual mode for shifting with paddles or the stick until you move the lever back over to the right.
Ah ok.. so it does behave differently when the front wheels aren't spinning (like on a dyno). Thanks for the info...

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok.. so it does behave differently when the front wheels aren't spinning (like on a dyno). Thanks for the info...

Shiv
My guess is that the TCS and ABS faults throw the transmission into a different shift program...

I would like to see what happens if you try the following... I came up with this after speaking with a local dyno shop

-Pull the 335i onto the dyno.
-Completly disable DTC/DSC (hold for 4sec)
-move lever to DS
-upshift once into 2nd gear with the stick (all while not moving, it will hold in 2nd)
-roll up to 25mph
-shift the car into 4th with the stick, stay at 25mph
-start your dyno run at WOT (DO NOT HIT THE KICKDOWN!, lightly press pedal til it stops)

theoretically, the car should not throw the abs fault until after run is over, if you did it fast enough...

They also said you should not get a DSC warning if you disabled it first

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Was that 91 Oct Steptronic anonymous review up yet? Maybe it went to another thread. Just checking
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1
Was that 91 Oct Steptronic anonymous review up yet? Maybe it went to another thread. Just checking
Here it is:

Quote:
Please excuse my slander but holly SH*T!! this car is really fast!! I'm not going to tell you about how (or if) I just whooped on an IS350 or the brand new Corvette I just pummelled on the freeway (non C6 or 7or whatever they call it now) b/c street racing is "no bueno". I'm just going to write a quick review of what took place today to share for all the readers who care:

(I'm only going to run the spell checker once before i send this off, so sorry if I missed anything)

8am - Shiv kindly gives me wake up call (I took the day off work), tells me to meet him @ 10am

10am - Bring car to the dyno, check out some of the shop cars (turbo'd lotus Elise, e36/fiberglass body race car, etc.). Btw Shiv's 335i sounds real nice w/the exhaust. Oh yea, I talk to Shiv about our goals today.

11am - I leave Shiv to play with my new $50k toy, I have faith in his abilities since he was the one who first tuned my wrx back in 2002 w/the infamous "Unichip" (fortunately we have come a long way since then)

2pm - Receive phone call from Shiv, apparently he's road tuning the car for any final adjustments. I hear lots of engine noise, and my palms get sweaty. Tells me to meet him at the shop. I drop everything immediately and get my ass over to the shop...

2:15pm - Jump out of the car, calmly stroll into the shop...Shiv tosses me my key, tells me to take it for a spin around the block. As I calmly RUN to my car, Shiv yells "Turn off the DTC!!!"

2:20pm - I find a nice open road around the corner......

2:20:15pm - Complete shock, I had no idea what I was getting into....FAST...FASTER........FASTERRRer?! then I remember what Shiv said about the DTC. I forgot to turn it off....

2:21pm - turn car around then stop, look for this "DTC" button, turn if off, wipe the drool off my chin, grip the steering wheel, paddle shift 1st gear......hit gas.......I believe the guy from TX said it best " Who replaced my 335i with a Rocketship?" Seriously, I peeled out through 1st and half of 2nd while watching all the traction control lights blinking at me for dear life, the car probably thought I was flying off a cliff....

2:30pm - Return to the shop, Shiv shows me where the equipment is located under the hood, tells me to come back for real dyno numbers once he figures out how to keep the auto from downshifting on the dyno, and to install the finalized map switcher for inside the car.

Seriously, I can only imagine what the Texas Guy's cars felt like since they've got good ole'93 octane and that one fella had a freakishly strong engine. Shiv said the Texas car (freakishly strong car) made more power with the stage 0 than his personal car w/a stage 1. YES I'm jealous of those guys, BUT at least I can say my 335i is faster than 99% of the other 335i Cali cars (for the time being). Unfortunately, we have no real numbers to work with here. As you may know, there is a problem when you put the Auto/Step on the dyno, once Shiv can figure out a way to work around this then we'll get some exact numbers till then I can just lie and say it has around 315hp(seriously I don't know) but I can surely say its much faster than my stage 4 wrx which pushes aprox. 272whp/268wtq on 91oct. (still good for a high 12 qrt/m).

btw, this car is a REAL monster on the freeway, I had to turn my Speed limiter off b/c it continuously beeped at me. I have it set @ 80mph, my car pulls from 65mph to 85-90mph almost instantly....it ridiculous. Its an awesome product, seriously best bang for your buck. I still know there is some extra left on the table...I'm thinking exhaust + re-tune sometime 1st qrt 2007.

Thanks again Shiv.
This review was for the Step we did earlier this week. The user review of the Step we did today can be found here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...55&postcount=7

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2006, 12:46 AM   #10
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]