ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
xJxDx0926
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Lowering the Rear of Z4M

The following post is from someone who doesn't know shit about Suspensions. Please keep that in mind

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently purchased a set of H&R Lowering springs for my Z4M. I called a few places for install and I have been getting quotes ranging from 500-800. I don't know too much about springs but I know that it shouldn't cost that much money. So I brought the car to my friends because he has a wall mounted spring compressor and a lift. We dropped the front in less than 2 hours but was unable to do the back due to lack of time and because he said he couldn't do the back because he didn't have another type of spring compressor.

One of the shops I asked for a quote told me they had to take a trunk panel out to do the rears. Is that true?

So my question is, What exactly needs to be done to remove the Rear stock springs and put the new springs in. I'm not doing this myself don't worry but If its not to complicated I'm just going to have one of my others friends do it on his lift.

I lack knowledge in this particular area of cars so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-JD

Last edited by xJxDx0926; 06-27-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Heres how I did mine. IM guessing you meant h&r springs. Jack up rear of car,remove wheels. Support rear hub with another jack or stand. Unbolt lower shock mount.Lower hub as far as it will go. If you get someone to apply a little pressure to the hub downward you should able to turn the spring and pull it out. Install is the reverse. Just one bolt on each side to remove so it's not bad. A novice can do it in 30 minutes. The compressor is usually needed for the front. Here is a good diy......
http://www.billswebspace.com/BMWZ4MK...llationDIY.htm

About 3/4 the way down it shows spring replacement even though it's for coilovers it;s pretty similar for rear springs. I assume your just replacing springs and not shocks. No interior mods if your just replacing springs.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

thanks for posting that link mousitch. I'm going to put my H&R springs in hopefully next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBull View Post
thanks for posting that link mousitch. I'm going to put my H&R springs in hopefully next weekend.
No problem. On my fronts I removed my whole front strut assembly from the car and had a tire shop swap springs. Then I put it back in. No problems other than some really tough red loctite on the two hub bolts which I replaced with blue loctite for easier dis assembly when (IF) I sell.. Needed a pretty aggressive alignment which was totally different then stock. Its posted in this forum somewhere. Your gonna want to do that after the springs settle a bit. You'll love the drop, it transforms how you look at the car.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
No problem. On my fronts I removed my whole front strut assembly from the car and had a tire shop swap springs. Then I put it back in. No problems other than some really tough red loctite on the two hub bolts which I replaced with blue loctite for easier dis assembly when (IF) I sell.. Needed a pretty aggressive alignment which was totally different then stock. Its posted in this forum somewhere. Your gonna want to do that after the springs settle a bit. You'll love the drop, it transforms how you look at the car.
Thanks. I put my wheel studs (red loctite) in today along with my 12 mm spacers. Now all it needs is that drop.

I may borrow a spring compressor to do my front spring.

What did you need to break those bolts loose? Big breaker bar...air impact?

Would like to have details on your alignment too if you don't mind. I'll send you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
xJxDx0926
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Heres how I did mine. IM guessing you meant h&r springs.
yea sorry lol I have had P40's on my mind all week lol. Thanks for the help I'm gonna put them in tonight
      06-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJxDx0926 View Post
yea sorry lol I have had P40's on my mind all week lol. Thanks for the help I'm gonna put them in tonight
Added to the comments above.

Make sure the parking brake is OFF.
It makes it a little easier to push the arm down to pull the spring out.

I've done many spring installs before and the Z4M rears are about as easy as it gets.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Another detail: you may want to "even out" the slope of the car after the drop, since the rears drop more than the fronts - purely personal taste here. When I ran the H&Rs the nose of the car looked to high relative to the rear. I evened it out with the inexpensive 5mm bmw spring perch pads which go under the springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Spedracer81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I just installed a set of these on my car, the fronts hasn't dropped yet, did I put the spring backwards? there was plastic coating on one end I put that on top..is that wrong? My back dropped nicely I wanted to get another 3/4 out of the front..

I've put around 400miles on them already
Attached Images

Appreciate 0