Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > I just joined the Bad RFT club HELP! ?'s

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-22-2006, 04:34 AM   #1
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I just joined the Bad RFT club HELP! ?'s

OK so yesterday I was driving along minding my own business and then my "low tire pressure" warning came up for my rear right tire.So since it didn't say flat just low I thought it was getting low due to cold weather so I pull into the gas station to check it and it was completly empty so I thought maybe it was punctured somehow so I drive another block to the neighborhood tire shop and they dismount the wheel and reinflate it and try to see any leaks or punctures after about a half hour they couldn't find anything wrong with the tire I witnessed it myself.So I have them mount it didn't think anything of it and kept goin home next day I wake up and the warning is back on again so I check the tire pressure it was dead empty again.So this time I'm pissed cause I'm pressed for time but I remember my client is acutally a wheel manufactuer so I can have his guys look at it since I don't have a spare thanks to BMW I drive about 20 miles to his shop and they take it off and re-inflate but this time a huge buldge is on the sidewall that wasn't there before. So they say it's not safe I need a new one but since the car has only 2800 miles on it I call the dealer and explained what happend and of course the answer was pretty much"Screw u we don't cover tires period" Now normally if this is some kind of puncture I can see that not being covered but since it wasn't punctured at all just losing air somehow I said think it was defective and the tire guy agreed so since I was forced to buy a tire I bought the cheapest one available to me and drove the bad RFT back to the dealer for inspection.So now since no one was there to look at it supposedly they said comeback tommorow and that not to get my hopes up because they don't cover tires yada yada. So I think to my self that although it's not the dealers fault or BMW's fault they should still replace it free of charge and pay for the new tire since they didn't want to tow it and I have no spare.So I'm sure they're gonna argue the matter but on the other hand I gave them a post dated check for the down payment and the car is only about 2 weeks old so If they don't handle it the rightway they are gonna screw themselves good.The service guy pretty much said if it was from a pot hole theres no chance of them covering it and I asked how can they tell he said by seeing if it was cracked on the inside so I said "ok but if It was losing air before hand and the buldge came after the fact it should still be replaced no matter what cause they can't really determine that now since the wheel has been driven long enough. So if they wanna battle I bring one remember I have to of these cars so if need be I'll give it back temporarily so hopefully managment makes a good business decision and handles the matter fairly.I'll keep you all updated.

-J
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Good luck but you likely haven't got a leg to stand on legally. The fact that the first shop couldn't find a leak doesn't mean anything since there clearly was a leak. What is worrying is that you said you bought the cheapest tire to put on to replace the flat. Surely this is matched with the other tire on the axle? If not, its going to screw your cars driving and traction dynamics. Since BMW does offer tire insurance, you could buy that now and see if they'll roll the cost of a replacement RFT into the insurance (or part of) but punctures are your problem (I also had a puncture within the first two weeks on a winter run flat) unless you can convince the tire manufacturer the initial tire was faulty (a long shot given the circumstances because you've no leverage over the tire maker).

I'd think it is rather extreme to threaten to hand back the car over such an issue. The inconvenience cost just isn't worth it and its possible the garage will consider you a defaulter if you cancel the check and they could sue you for the depreciation. They *may* decide to be nice and write-off a replacement, but your best bet is to try to compromise and see if they'll meet you half way.
Appreciate 0