E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Specific complaints made to your SA for turbo replacement for WG rattle

07-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Specific complaints made to your SA for turbo replacement for WG rattle

After reading a bunch of these fairly recent threads about turbo replacements, I wanted to get some straight answers from everyone experiencing the wastegate rattle who actually were able to get new turbos. I hate to beat a dead horse, but thought starting a separate thread with exactly how complaints are being said, and if there are ALSO codes present to back it up, would be beneficial. It appears the earlier build N54s, 2007 are getting turbos replaced more frequently, and I have an '07 with 46k miles...

What is it that everyone is taking the car in for and complaining of to get new turbos? From what I have gathered, the SAs (including mine) are telling customers that a slight WG rattle is "normal," especially after reading SIB 11 33 07.

I had my car in for service and complained of the rattle (along with underboost codes that were related), but after 4 days of "diagnosing" I only got a software update. After putting my procede back in, the rattle is back.

So my ultimate question: What are the right things to say to get the dealer to put new turbos in? Or better yet, to those that have had the issue, how did you frame the problem? Did you have codes as well?

Thanks

[edit/added: To procede users, I did set my WG position value to 50 and the rattle has subsided dramatically, but I still feel this is just masking the problem]
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
ren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

I took my car in twice for the rattle. The first time they told me that what I have was normal, even though they could hear it.

The second time I took it in they kept the car for a few days and told me the same thing. On the day I was going to pick it up they called me and said they will replace the wastegate actuators. After they replaced them the rattle got even worse and I got a new set of turbos.

You need a lot of patience and luck to get it done. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by erensf View Post
I took my car in twice for the rattle. The first time they told me that what I have was normal, even though they could hear it.

The second time I took it in they kept the car for a few days and told me the same thing. On the day I was going to pick it up they called me and said they will replace the wastegate actuators. After they replaced them the rattle got even worse and I got a new set of turbos.

You need a lot of patience and luck to get it done. Good luck
My tech actually measured the tolerances on the wastegate and sent those to BMW, stating they are out of spec. BMW instantly approved new turbos installed. All I complained about was the rattling wastegate, nothing else.... Mine were also replaced right at 47k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
css6
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I was in a similar situation as the OP. '07 with 45k miles. I took mine to the nearest dealer for the WG rattle and was told that it was normal and that they would not correct it. I then learned about the SB and called another dealer who is about an hour away and they immediately said to bring it in and they would correct it. All I said was that I have the WG rattle occurring. They replaced the actuators (my software was already updated). The rattle is gone and I for one do not notice any increased lag. I would have a hard time seeing how you could get new turbos without going through the actuator replacement first.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

They had my car for a month trying g to fix this. They did a software upgrade which didn't work. They replaced all vac lines and that didn't work. They then proceded to replace the wg actuators and failed due to the newest ones not fitting on my 09 turbos. Then BMW told them to tighten the wg arm and that fixed the problem for now. It will fail again so ill let you k ow what the next bullshit bandaid fix they come up with.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
kennejp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I took it in the first time for my service and told them my wastegates had been making noises and asked them to look at it. They replaced the actuator arms on the wastegates and then they said I had the current tune. After about a day it was back and so I called and told them that the ticking was worse and now could here it while driving through parking lots at low speeds. Also if I rev it and let it go at around 3k rpms you could hit the wastegate tick. Now after a week and a half they just called saying its ready with the new turbos. They had to take the turbos off and measure the shaft play and hold the wastegate down and see how much of a gap there is. Supposedly there is supposed to be less then a millimeter and mine had 4+ millimeters. I have heard a rattling noise that I know is normal but if you actually can hear the tick of the wastegate when letting off the gas then that is not normal and should be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Everling
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3

I bought my car CPO and one week later i noticed rattling noises when i stop and started the car. I didnt know it was due to wastegates since i actually didnt hear anything when letting off the gas. I took it and complained of noise during starts and stops. They called me the next day saying it was due to the wastegate and they need more time. Called again a few days later and said they are gonna software update. They tried that and rattle was still there so they replaced the turbos. My car is a 2007 with about 48k miles when it was replaced. They held the car for about 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Good thread Henry, lots of useful info.

If these rebuilt stock turbos that can sustain more power weren't so ridiculously (and unfairly) priced it would make perfect sense for those with WG rattle to buy a pair and hand them to the Tech along with a nice tip once/if the Turbo swap is approved. You could then keep the new BMW snails as brand new spares.

Upgraded snails at a fair price installed for free by the dealer?

-Walter
      07-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

My dealership is awesome...I told them what was going on (classic WG rattle) and they went through the diagnostic steps in the SIB and replaced the turbos. Wouldn't expect anything less from them though, they've been great.
      07-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.

I had my wastegate actuators replaced, a few k later the car was throwing underboost codes and when they removed the turbs they found play / replaced them.

I've heard of some people hosing their turbs by introducing contaminant on CAI install. :.)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
X1 Trojan
Go Dodgers?
Rep
Drives: '13 BSM X1 xdrive35i Msport

noob question: is this the sound that sounds like the exhaust rattling against itself or some other metal? Happens when I start it up and sometimes at low speeds I hear it.
      07-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
kennejp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well update-I picked up my car yesterday with brand new turbos and still making all the same noises. I am over it now and am just gonna put everything back on and turn up the music. Atleast I know they are new and nothing should be going wrong with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
Aridk
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Whats the rule on warenty in the US?
My car is an 07 and overhere we have 2 years Bmwfactory wanenty.
my actuators were repleaced with 16000 miles now it sees 30t and the wg rattle is back but now I´m out of warenty.
I have complained that it´s a problem that was there before and it not solved yet
They offered me new turbos, but I have to pay the labour 1500$
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

4 year 50,000 miles here in the US
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridk View Post
Whats the rule on warenty in the US?
My car is an 07 and overhere we have 2 years Bmwfactory wanenty.
my actuators were repleaced with 16000 miles now it sees 30t and the wg rattle is back but now I´m out of warenty.
I have complained that it´s a problem that was there before and it not solved yet
They offered me new turbos, but I have to pay the labour 1500$
let em know the economy is tough, is there any way to split the labor cost? cuz you really want to get it done but cash is tight....

see what they say .. all they can say is no !! its worth a try ...

unless you went in the dealer with money hanging out of your pockets
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #16
Aridk
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
let em know the economy is tough, is there any way to split the labor cost? cuz you really want to get it done but cash is tight....

see what they say .. all they can say is no !! its worth a try ...

unless you went in the dealer with money hanging out of your pockets
Great idea, worth a try Thx
And the only time I´ve cash hanging out of my pockets is when it coes to go faster mods
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #17
X1 Trojan
Go Dodgers?
Rep
Drives: '13 BSM X1 xdrive35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 Trojan View Post
noob question: is this the sound that sounds like the exhaust rattling against itself or some other metal? Happens when I start it up and sometimes at low speeds I hear it.
???