BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Grauss
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Flintmobile

Seeking Some Advice

Hey guys, I'm 17, 6'4", and 170lbs (roughly). For the past 3 years I've worked out during the school year while taking whey protein (the crappy GMC generic brand because I was uninformed at the time). I had gotten my weight to around 187 when I went through a bout with cancer and I dropped down to 160 because I was unable to workout for 3 months after the surgeries. Over the past 6 months I've gotten my weight back up (to 170) but I'm still way below where I want to be.

Okay, so on to the questions. I will have up to 2 hours a day, 5 days a week to workout in a college weightroom (think LA fitness level and quality). I would like to gain quite a bit of lean body mass. Basically, I'd like to go from 170 to between 185 and 190.

What workout routines would you recommend?
What supplements (both pre and post workout) would you recommend?
What nutrition staples do you think I should be focusing on?
Any special notes, things to watch out for, further advice, etc.?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

College wieghtrooms are actually kinda nice...at least mine are. Where are you going to school?

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Grauss
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Flintmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
College wieghtrooms are actually kinda nice...at least mine are. Where are you going to school?
At the moment I'm actually a senior in high school doing a dual enrollment program so it's actually a community college (with a brand new weight room) but come next summer I'll be at UGA.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

There will be different opinions and different ways of going about this, but basically it's about eating a clean diet and consuming more calories than you would normally. Do cardio, but not excessive amounts. Plyometrics, circuit, anaerobic, general weight lifting, and lots of core. You need a lot of rest, protein, and hard work. Don't let your body get used to the same lifts and routine, make it difficult every day. You might even want to incorporate flexibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
New Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Workouts are workouts, find somethings you like and perfect them, it doesnt take anything special to reach your goals. Gaining weight means taking in more calories, however try to eat lean( other than genetics, the way you eat will decide the way you look). I only take GNC unflavored protein powder, i just dont belive in all the those other supplements. All natural as much as possible is the only one to go in my book. I can back up everything ive said with the results ive had with my body, and those ive had the pleasure of working with.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
punksterz626
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Alpine White M3

i would recommend 16 calories per pound, but for you maybe even 20 calories bc you're only 17years of age and your body metabolism should be high. Your protein should be from food consist of chicken breast, lean beef, etc. And your carbs should be from whole wheat, brown rice, yam, potatoes etc. Basically all your healthy stuff. PPL dont eat enough nuts! Its good for you.

I would recommend you do alot of body weight workout i.e. dips, deadlifts, pullups...im working out for years and realize the most important thing is your core muscle. U clean that up and you'll see results like you wont believe.

check out these sites for more info

www.crossfit.com
www.bodybuilding.com

Good luck and most important have fun working out! It shouldnt be a chore.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by punksterz626 View Post
i would recommend 16 calories per pound, but for you maybe even 20 calories bc you're only 17years of age and your body metabolism should be high. Your protein should be from food consist of chicken breast, lean beef, etc. And your carbs should be from whole wheat, brown rice, yam, potatoes etc. Basically all your healthy stuff. PPL dont eat enough nuts! Its good for you.

I would recommend you do alot of body weight workout i.e. dips, deadlifts, pullups...im working out for years and realize the most important thing is your core muscle. U clean that up and you'll see results like you wont believe.

www.crossfit.com
www.bodybuilding.com

If you want to get big, many people use the 5x5 system.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

First of all, im glad you are doing fine now!!!
Read here http://www.body-building-resource.com/bb90.shtml what to eat
      09-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Congrats on the recovery!

As for your questions:
- What workout routines would you recommend?
Rippetoe's Starting Strength

- What supplements (both pre and post workout) would you recommend?
Protein, but really you just gotta eat, and eat lots.

- What nutrition staples do you think I should be focusing on?
Eat eat eat

Any special notes, things to watch out for, further advice, etc.?
Eat + Rest, make sure you get enough of both and train hard.

http://startingstrength.com/
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
i remember reading in a few different magazines a while back that you should consume 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh to add size?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
will2010
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 Touring 3.0TD

X5 E53 3.0D

Hi mates, does anyone know how to actiate the cold box under the driver middle armrest? is there a button to control or even switch on, as the cold box had a vent but no air coming out... thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by punksterz626 View Post

www.crossfit.com
www.bodybuilding.com

What the poster above said is pretty much what I'd have said.

To it, however, I'd add that you should focus less on any particular weight number and focus more on (1) how you feel (strong, energetic, flexible), (2) your ability to do the physical things you need to do (assuming your interest is to enable something in particular), and (3) how you look, that is, do you look fit and sexy.

I say this because it sounds, based on what you describe as your pre-op height/weight, you may naturally have an ectomorphic body type, and if that's the case, putting on size/weight specifically will be considerably more challenging than for either of the other two general body types. On the other hand, if over time your endurance and strength are increasing and you feel good and the folks you want to "get freaky wit' " are showing you enough attention, you should not worry about being over/under any specific weight.

Though I'm not quite as tall as you, I am of the ectomorphic type. My lifting routine (I do it 5 days a week with a trainer) is the "body parts" approach, which basically amounts to intensively working out one or two body parts + core each day for about an hour (give or take). Seven days a week, I run/jog 3 miles, and on two of those days I run/jog 6 miles.

Diet certainly plays a large role. My regular diet consists of pretty much the same thing every day, except for the two monthly "excesses" I allow myself.

Daily morning pre-workout meal (45-60 minutes prior to working out):
Oatmeal, dried fruit (2-4 oz of any one of the following: cherries, raisins, blueberries, currants), brown sugar. On "leg day," I will also have 4 oz of microwaved salmon. (Season with S&P and fresh lemon slice/juice and microwave at 50% power for 2 -3 minutes (longer if the portion is larger. The best time varies by microwave, but once you find the right duration, you'll be amazed. This technique works for any fresh fish, but is best with salmon, halibut, haddock, catfish and swordfish.) Watered down protein shake to drink. I water it down mainly to make it more watery and thus more drinkable than "eatable," as would be so for a thick shake.
Protein shake - I prefer MetRx Double Chocolate. Sometimes I use 1/2 water and 1/2 Chocolate Silk soy milk to make it, and this is most often what I do on the two heavy aerobics days.

Daily post workout food and meal:

Immediately at the end -- even before showering -- of every workout, I eat a piece of fruit. After I've showered, I do one of the following:
  • Chipotle burrito bowl: black beans, no rice, double chicken, lots of corn salsa, lots of tomato salsa, (when I say "lots," I mean it...like three of those huge spoons full of each), (season by squirting fresh lemon juice over it if desired) nothing else. Water to drink.
  • Microwaved fish
  • Protein shake. I prefer the MetRx Double Chocolate flavor. Water, crushed ice and a blender are all you need to do this.

Daily snacks (every couple of hours or so) - no more than 4-6 oz per snack: There's some variety here, but the thing I focus on most is having a small amount to eat every few hours. Partly because I'm always hungry and partly because I don't want my body to think there's a famine and start storing the calories I'm giving it as fat. There are many choices in this area, and as long as the portion size is kept small and the food itself clean and healthy, it doesn't much matter what I choose.
  • fresh fruit
  • PB&J sandwich
  • cliff bar
  • nitrotech double chocolate sports bar
  • fresh nuts
  • ear of corn
  • baby spinach salad

2nd Large meal of the day:
Usually I just eat microwaved fish or chicken breast, mainly because it allows me to have gourmet style meals that don't need lots of preparation and I don't like washing dishes and cleaning up the in the kitchen. Occasionally I'll microwave shrimp, but that takes some skills (more than I feel like explaining here) and generally calls for using some butter or olive oil.

I rarely eat beef or pork. Not because I can't/shouldn't, but because I like my food to taste really, really good. So I don't often cook beef or pork because:
  • the leanest beef is also the toughest beef, so they take more cooking skill, need to be slow cooked to get the best flavor, and require me to cook in an oven/grill which is just something else to clean afterward. That said, a nice 6-8 oz filet does work its way into my "excess" days from time to time.
  • pork dries out very easily when cooked if, prior to cooking, it has not soaked in a brine for a few days. Again, it also requires cooking in an over/grill to get the best flavor and again, that's something to clean.

After the large meal, I just continue the snacks until I go to sleep.

Things I never eat:
  • White Rice
  • White Potatoes
  • White Bread
  • White Sugar

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 09-03-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by will2010 View Post
Hi mates, does anyone know how to actiate the cold box under the driver middle armrest? is there a button to control or even switch on, as the cold box had a vent but no air coming out... thanks

what the ...fuck...are you new to the internet?
Appreciate 0