ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Question Spring / Strut question

So I'm in the market for new wheels/tires, but would like to take up the gap at the top of them with a set of lowering springs. (Staying w/18's more than likely)

I know H&R, Dinan, Eibach etc etc make them. I'd like a bit of a drop, and a set that actually improve handling. From those that have them on, can you please chime in with your experiences so it can help me make a decision?

I've done a lot of searching, but haven't found the answers I'm looking for. "The Dinan's don't really lower the car that much and they're made by Eibach"
"H&R says that using springs with stock struts will damage them"

Anyone who's knows their stuff, please help! THX
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
blacksvt
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i coupe

I doubt they would damage the struts, possibly shorten the life of them. Im getting ready to install a set of h&rs tonight so ill report back. Lots of guys on here are running them though with great results.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Using shorter springs with stock struts will shorten the life of them... but I don't think it's that significant of a change. I've been running H&R springs on my car (otherwise stock suspension) for the past 9k miles or so. I've been very happy. Easy to do, definitely helps the wheel gap, and IMO improves the handling a bit.

Springs won't fully eliminate wheel gap with 18s on our car, but it definitely helps.
      09-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

I've been quite happy with the Eibach springs on my car. Lowering was not that much, less than one inch. They fit perfectly, the black color is exactly the same as the stock springs, and they seem to be well matched to the OEM shock valving.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

I ran the H&R springs for about 10mo with no issues. Ride was firmer, handling slightly better than stock. They did close up the wheel well gap. I did use the heavy duty 15mm spring pad from BMW to level the rear end out slightly because it looked too low in the back otherwise. If you have non-factory wheels/tires you may get rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
^^^ does that happen to everyone? I was wondering if I need to order the 15mm pads. You'd think the springs lower everything at the same rate. Is this specific to H&R only? (cause I'm looking for the drop they provide)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

^yes definitely. The rear will be too low otherwise. The spring "rates" are even but the height difference between OE and H&R front to rear isn't the same. Before settling comparing the two the H&R fronts were the same height as OE and the rears were 3/4" shorter. Even with the 15mm pads my rear is slightly lower.
Appreciate 0