2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Sirius Satellite Radio

11-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Sirius Satellite Radio

Coming from the 2003 5 Series, my only (minor) complaint so far is the manner in which the general Audio controls work. Now 8 presets verses 18 before. Also the fact that the steering wheel has no up/down for moving to other presets quickly.............unless I am missing something with the rolling wheel.

Granted, with the New I-pod functionality and screen, there are clearly many advancements in technology from old. It's going to take some time to get used to it though.

The question I have is in regard to Sirius. The manual leads me to believe that we can "block" or "hide" channels if we wish. The fact that there are fewer presets is making me scroll through the whole list to find other occasional stations. Ideally, if I could hide....lets say the "health" channels, it would cut down the amount of channels that have to be scrolled through. I called Sirius, but they said that they cannot do this.

Has anyone had any luck with blocking channels through the I-Drive? The instructions are not real clear on this.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
jeffhoff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
There are a few options for you.

There's no "hide" functionality that I'm aware of, but you can filter by category (rock/sports/country etc). Alternatively there's an option to create a favorites list, and finally there's an option to "store to presets", I think this is a list of about 40 stations (AM/FM/Satellite), this is over and above the 8 button presets and is a category on the "radio" menu on the iDrive.

The rolling wheel will allow you to scroll through your and by pushing the wheel like you would a mouse click to select a track/station from the list.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Don't use the 8 buttons on the dash for preset, go through the I-Drive to the RADIO menu and then there is an option called PRESETS. Here you can program more than 20 preset stations, combination of FM, AM and SIRRIUS altogether. Then you just scroll through them using either the I-Drive controller, or the wheel on the right side of the steering wheel. You can then also link the presets set in I-Drive to the buttons on the dash if you want. I like to use the 8 dash buttons for phone numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Thanks,

I will experiment with the above. I thought the "Favorites" category only applied to songs, artists, teams, etc...but will look into that again. The Presets would be ideal, since I could use the 8 front buttons for other things like phone numbers, etc.

Once agian, not complaining...just trying to get my head around this new setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
jeffhoff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Once agian, not complaining...just trying to get my head around this new setup.
I learn new things every time I start playing around.
Appreciate 0