E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Australia Classifieds Section > Fs: spacers (5mm,12mm,15mm)

11-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
nyo88a
Private
Rep
Drives: e60

Fs: spacers (5mm,12mm,15mm)

Hey guys i want to sell my spacers.. Anyone interested?
Kicks 5mm & 12mm with bolts (5mm= $70, 12mm = $120)
Rs technik 15mm with bolts ($150)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
nyo88a
Private
Rep

i need to sell these..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

You might find it tough to sell....... in case you are not aware, having spacers on your car is illegal and as such would void your insurance in the event of an accident.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
nyo88a
Private
Rep

here are the pics.. the silver one is 12mm & black 15mm.. both are hubcentric. the 15mm is still at the car, will removing this next week..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
nyo88a
Private
Rep

price drop
50mm = $60
12mm = $100
15mm = $120
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
nyo88a
Private
Rep

bumppp
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I was looking at getting some 5 or 10mm spacers so I might come check them out...

Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
nyo88a
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I was looking at getting some 5 or 10mm spacers so I might come check them out...

Where are you located?
i am located in sydney, but most of the time im in the city..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
You might find it tough to sell....... in case you are not aware, having spacers on your car is illegal and as such would void your insurance in the event of an accident.
well, I thought only certain types of spacers which can't be bolted on are illegal?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
nyo88a
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
well, I thought only certain types of spacers which can't be bolted on are illegal?
well i use spacers for my car.. no issue with cops..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #11
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

illegal or not everyone uses them, just like speeding and talking on the phone while driving.

I'm typically a bit wary of second hand items such as spacers cause it's a rather dangerous thing to fail on you - there may be internal fractures compromising it's strength

I'll still come have a look though and may be test fit them.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyo88a View Post
well i use spacers for my car.. no issue with cops..
It's not an issue with the cops unless the wheels stick out from the body work as they wouldn't notice you have spacers on. The issue is your insurance company WILL drop you like a hot potato in the event of an accident claim. If your car gets towed to a holding yard and you cannot get to it, then you are screwed.

Yes some people run spacers but that doesn't mean they are legal. Just like talking on a mobile phone and driving with the thing to your ear. Not legal and very stupid IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
It's not an issue with the cops unless the wheels stick out from the body work as they wouldn't notice you have spacers on. The issue is your insurance company WILL drop you like a hot potato in the event of an accident claim. If your car gets towed to a holding yard and you cannot get to it, then you are screwed.

Yes some people run spacers but that doesn't mean they are legal. Just like talking on a mobile phone and driving with the thing to your ear. Not legal and very stupid IMO.
Nothing is stopping you from requesting the car to be towed to your own address etc.

I know if i had an accident where i had illegal things on my car i'd get it towed to my home address and remove said illegal parts. Only then would I contact the insurance company. Tell them i was unsure where to get the wreck towed and didn't want to be liable for storage fees so i got it towed to my own residence. If anything the insurance company would be happy. They pay out a bucket load of money to towies for storage.

Obviously this can't be done if your in hospital. But either way the assessors aren't going to go check your car out until you lodge the claim which is when your out of hospital and can contact the towing company yourself to arrange to remove the spacers or whatever it may be.

Obviously it's not entirely legal but at the end of the day unless your wheels have fallen off because you didn't get proper spacers and or bolts then it would have made no difference to the accident.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Yes ... you can certainly have the car towed to your residence in some situations. If the police are in attendance to the accident, and they have a suspicion of a defect or need to further inspect the vehicle for possible cause to the accident they will order the tow truck driver to have the vehicle towed to the holding yard and you or the insurance company will not have unsupervised access untill the police have cleared it. My son had a single vehicle accident in a one year old car and the police did this. Only modifications were wheels and a body kit but they suspected other mods. The car was cleared within 48 hours but even getting house and work keys of the keyring involved getting police approval within that time.

At the end of the day its a risk to run spacers even if you are the best and safest driver in the world, you cannot predict what's going to happen around you. Run them or not - it's an individual chioce.

Last edited by VGR00; 12-28-2010 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Yes ... you can certainly have the car towed to your residence in some situations. If the police are in attendance to the accident, and they have a suspicion of a defect or need to further inspect the vehicle for possible cause to the accident they will order the tow truck driver to have the vehicle towed to the holding yard and you or the insurance company will not have unsupervised access untill the police have cleared it. My son had a single vehicle accident in a one year old car and the police did this. Only modifications were wheels and a body kit but they suspected other mods. The car was cleared within 48 hours but even getting house and work keys of the keyring involved getting police approval within that time.

At the end of the day its a risk to run spacers even if you are the best and safest driver in the world, you cannot predict what's going to happen around you. Run them or not - it's an individual chioce.

Valid point, I didn't think about that scenario. I really don't see the point behind spacers.. Why not get the correct offset in the first place?

Having said that there are certain ways you can get around these sort of mods with insurance companies. Most insurance companies record all of their calls and as a result its a simple case of ringing around until you get someone who doesn't know that much about cars (far easier than it sounds). You disclose the wheel spacers, they either A. Put a comment on your file which allows you to be insured and because its recorded means the company is obliged to pay the claim. B. Say ok and don't do anything but same result as A. C. Refer it to the underwriters who basically decide if they will insure you or not. I work for an insurance company and know most of the underwriters, they know SFA about cars. D. The person knows they are illegal and tells you they can't insure you. Once again from my experience i was one of the only people working in a sales department of over 100 people who actually knew what they were and the legalities behind them.

Please note its not negligence from the insurance company. It's simply prioritising. At the end of the day, despite what people say, insurance companies are not out there to refuse every single claim. Yes if someone has something illegal which contributed to the accident then they will refuse the claim but lets face it, an extremely small percentage of people run spacers and generally speaking they have no contribution to the accident.
Appreciate 0