Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Different tire tread depth

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
kc9192000
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Couple

Different tire tread depth

I bought a CPO 2007 328i Couple with sport package back in July. Loved the car!! Over the past weekend I got a screw in the rear left tire. I have all four on RFT. Luckily I have the tire and wheel protection, which covers road hazard. But to my surprise, the dealer only change the damaged tire. I thought they would change at least the two rear tires, just so the rear tires match and have the same tread depth. So now I have one brand new tire with three old tires that have little bit less than 50% of tread depth left.
I asked a mechanic that I knew for long time, he said it shouldn't be a problem, unless the ABS light comes on, or I noticed drastic pull on one side. So far neither had occurred.
Does anyone have any experience on this issue before?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Yeah, I just got a gashed right front tire. Amazingly, I made it all the way to work (about 20 miles) just thinking it was low when the "Flat Tire!" warning hit my iDrive screen. Once at work, I checked the pressure and it was zero. Then I saw the gash in the inner sidewall. Kinda sold me on keeping RFTs. Anyway, I got a new one but the left one has about 30% or less left. There is an ever-so-slight pull now to the left and since it's close to end-of-life, I plan to replace it before I get too many miles on the new one. Since yours is on the rear and you don't feel a pull, I'd not worry about it, but it does mess up your replacement schedule.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

I would say if you have the means to go ahead and replace the other tire on the axle. If not you'll always have one that is off from the others. Unless you suck it up and buy four when the other three are worn.
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
Appreciate 0