E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Paint correction question

11-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Paint correction question

Cliff notes version follows because the full length story is much too sad.

During oil change, dealership puts a ding (down to primer) in my driver's door (2009 335ix - Monaco blue.) When I point it out to them they agree to fix it.

They return it to me with a blob of paint on it. I tell them that dog won't hunt so they say "we'll fix it next HPFP replacement.

They fix it a little better but in the process neglect to tell me that they dented the bumper - something they agree to fix as well.

I pick it up yesterday. They swapped the bumper and seemed to have done an OK job.

While the door looks much better and the repair isn't blatantly obvious, there is about a three inch circle on the door (pretty well blended so it isn't like a circle) where the orange peel doesn't match the rest of the orange peel.

Any way to fix this or should I just forget it?

I'm not very happy with the dealership right now. I'm sure it'll take a full detail to get the overspray off. The windows are filthly leaving me to believe that the car was in the shop when they worked on other cars. The car was also sitting around with the hood open (they had it a full month) as the motor is very dusty too.

Am I justified in being annoyed? Any easy way of fixing this without resorting for a full door respray?

They also reapplied the clearbra over the freshly resprayed bumper - can one do that without any issues down the road?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
GotBoost?
Banned
Rep
Drives: fast

i have the same color and what seems to work best is PO85RD on a green pad to get rid of most swirls/marks

goodluck
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

WTF, how can a dealership get things THAT wrong??? LOL

paint blend isnt as simple as a polish in most cases, especially when OP doesnt match. I wouldnt let the dealership handle it anymore. Talk to the SA and make them pay an outside detailer to fix the car for you
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
WTF, how can a dealership get things THAT wrong??? LOL

paint blend isnt as simple as a polish in most cases, especially when OP doesnt match. I wouldnt let the dealership handle it anymore. Talk to the SA and make them pay an outside detailer to fix the car for you
My thoughts exactly. I'm talking to the GM next week about diminished value and the rest.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

which dealership? I would like to stay far away from it.
Appreciate 0