Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Who sells Rial wheels besides Tire Rack?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
whosagrubb
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '15 F36 435i / '07 E90 328i

Garage List
Who sells Rial wheels besides Tire Rack?

I just picked up a set of 17X8 Rial Salerno wheels with 225/45 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires off of someone locally, but one of the wheels has a decent bend in the front lip. I figured I could just replace the bad wheels, but when I called Tire Rack and they dont seem to carry the Rial Salerno in a 17X8 with a 30mm offset anymore, and I can't seem to find anyone else online that caries Rial. Does anyone know who else I can check with?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

How bad is the bend? My wheel guy has been able to get rid of some nasty ones with his magic, for less than 50 bucks, and that was on powdercoated rims.

Might not be necessary to replace the rim.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
whosagrubb
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Honestly, it's minor enough that I didn't notice it when I first picked the wheels up. I had considered getting it fixed, but the few places I spoke to started to suggest that since Rial aren't overly expensive wheels it might be cheaper to just buy a new one. Can a bend like this be fixed that easily?

Last edited by whosagrubb; 11-30-2010 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Atsnow
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, 2010 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by -andrew- View Post
Honestly, it's minor enough that I didn't notice it when I first picked the wheels up. I had considered getting it fixed, but the few places I spoke to started to suggest that since Rial aren't overly expensive wheels it might be cheaper to just buy a new one. Can a bend like this be fixed that easily?
That's a $75 job at most places
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
I wouldn't bother fixing it. If they start heating that sh.t up it's gonna ruin the wheel. And knocking it out is goinna take a lot of effort for which they'll charge (I doubt though anyone will wanna know it out!!).

I'm in similar dilema with my summer set and I decided to ditch them and get a lightweight quality wheel, BBS or Forgestars or similar.
      11-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
whosagrubb
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuo View Post
How bad is the bend? My wheel guy has been able to get rid of some nasty ones with his magic, for less than 50 bucks, and that was on powdercoated rims.

Might not be necessary to replace the rim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb
That's a $75 job at most places

I'm not having the same kind of luck - the quotes I'm getting are $125 or more, plus the consensus is that there will be cosmetic damage to the wheel from the heat/hydraulics that will need to be repaired once they're done.

Anyone have a recomendation of a good wheel guy in NY/NJ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
It looks like a 3/16" deflection to me. Did you hit a curb and is the deflection (bend) only on the outside of the wheel or also inside?

I would guess that when it happened a fair amount of stress was transferred into the wheel that some day will be released (going over bumps and uneven road surfaces). Think of it as bending a paper clip (each bend representing several bumps 10, 100 know one knows how many). Eventually the paper clip will snap. So will your wheel the more bumps you go over the more stresses will be transferred into your wheel. Then one day you will have a crack and it will result in a flat.

If it was my wheel I would replace it not get it fixed. You will spend your money and in the end will not be sure nor will you be happy.

PS. I always let BMW handle my wheels they know and have been trained how to handle the soft alloy wheels (an exception was last summer in the US where a BMW dealer had no tire machine and uses a local tire shop to handle this work - the tire shop bend my wheel, they used too much force to remove a RFT). If BMW screws up my wheels then they have to replace it.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
whosagrubb
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
It looks like a 3/16" deflection to me. Did you hit a curb and is the deflection (bend) only on the outside of the wheel or also inside?
I'm assuming it was a pothole. The bend is only on the outside, but there's no damage to the finish to indicate it was a curb..

I just spoke to Tire Rack again, and while Rial doesn't sell the 17X8 with a 30mm offset anymore, they have them with a 29mm offset. That said, I'm leaning more towards replacing rather than repair assuming there isn't a major issue with running one wheel with a 1mm difference in offset?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Viral
Major
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -andrew- View Post
I'm not having the same kind of luck - the quotes I'm getting are $125 or more, plus the consensus is that there will be cosmetic damage to the wheel from the heat/hydraulics that will need to be repaired once they're done.

Anyone have a recomendation of a good wheel guy in NY/NJ?
Andrew............call my friend Sal at 201-666-3500. He got my wheel fixed for me (I had a similar damage) and he charged me $100. Mention my name!!
Appreciate 0