Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > e90 sport wheel alignment

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
bimmernoob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

e90 sport wheel alignment

Hey guys,

I have a e90 (330i) with sport package and still have the OEM 18" rims. My rear tires are gone, and needs replacement, and though I still have a bit of life left in my fronts, I have decided to ditch all my RFT and get the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. However, immediately after getting the tires I plan to also get them aligned. My question is, what is the proper alignment spec for my car? Since there is a difference between the sport and non-sport, it just seems that it would be likely that the shop would get it wrong if they don't pay attention, so I want to make sure that it's done properly by having some numbers that I can cross reference.

While we are at it, any thoughts on my choice of tires? I have read through quite a bit of posts, and the PS2 seems to be a popular choice. And are there any difference between the Pilot Sport and the Pilot Sport PS2?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
DCOTOSAN
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E93

Always a good idea to get a proper alignment after spending some glue on a good set of tires.

You can have get a non-aggressive alignment that will allow the tires to last longer, or you can get a more aggressive alignment that will make the car handle better, but could reduce tire life by 50%.

I trust only one guy in SoCal. Darin at West End Alignment in Gardena. He took care of my P-cars, and there are no gorillas in his shop as he does all the work himself.

BTW, you cannot go wrong with either Michelin, but I would go for the PS2. Newer design.

Good luck.
      12-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
DTMrack.com
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernoob View Post
Hey guys,

I have a e90 (330i) with sport package and still have the OEM 18" rims. My rear tires are gone, and needs replacement, and though I still have a bit of life left in my fronts, I have decided to ditch all my RFT and get the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. However, immediately after getting the tires I plan to also get them aligned. My question is, what is the proper alignment spec for my car? Since there is a difference between the sport and non-sport, it just seems that it would be likely that the shop would get it wrong if they don't pay attention, so I want to make sure that it's done properly by having some numbers that I can cross reference.

While we are at it, any thoughts on my choice of tires? I have read through quite a bit of posts, and the PS2 seems to be a popular choice. And are there any difference between the Pilot Sport and the Pilot Sport PS2?

Thanks!

Getting an alignement after purchasing new tires is the smartest investment you can make in these matters. Personally, I would not get the alignment done anywhere but at BMW.

The alignment on BMWs is done correctly using some expensive machinery and their methodology deals with weight and counterweight added to different parts of your vehicle. There is NO SHOP that I have heard of that will do this alignment properly.

This is the only thing we spare no expense on when doing it and just get it done at the dealer.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
bimmernoob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMrack.com View Post
Getting an alignement after purchasing new tires is the smartest investment you can make in these matters. Personally, I would not get the alignment done anywhere but at BMW.

The alignment on BMWs is done correctly using some expensive machinery and their methodology deals with weight and counterweight added to different parts of your vehicle. There is NO SHOP that I have heard of that will do this alignment properly.

This is the only thing we spare no expense on when doing it and just get it done at the dealer.

Hope this helps!
How much do dealer usually charge for alignment?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Don't get the PS2s... look at my other thread... Continental ExtremeContact DW is better in every way, according to TireRack testing...

Just figured all this out today so I thought I'd share and save you $240 per set! (I'm on a bit of a rant against the PS2s coz I have been stupid to buy them for years for want of a proper alternative.)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

An alignment at BMW is expensive. My local dealer had a coupon for $200 so who knows how much the regular price is.

If you are an aggressive canyon driver I would say put some negative camber in the front so you don't burn the outside of your tires. I would guess -.5 - -1. depending on how much canyons you do, if you do a lot of them put more. Toe should always be 0.
Appreciate 0