E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Sampling cars for the day: This sounds interesting

12-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Sampling cars for the day: This sounds interesting

Quote:
Andrew Prantsyolos of Sports Car Rentals Australia says his operation has just added a brand-new Lamborghini Gallardo LP550 and an equally new Porsche Boxster S to its fleet that also includes an Audi R8, Aston Martin Vantage, Ferrari F430, Porsche GT3, BMW M3 and Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG (among many others).

Aside from just renting an exotic car and blasting off into the distance, many operators (and Sports Car Rentals is among them) offer a one-day drive experience. The idea is that you and at least five mates hire a fleet of half-a-dozen cars for the day and follow a lead car down some twisting roads. There are driver change points along the route so you get to sample a wide range of vehicles and some outfits throw in morning tea, lunch and even fuel as part of the deal.
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/r...209-18qi5.html
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I've always wanted to do something like this! But the costs are still really prohibitive plus being under 25 I'm not allowed to rent anything anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

"Prices range from $650 to $1200 a person for the day"

"There's an insurance excess (in most cases) of $5000... it's usually for a scraped front bumper (some of the cars are quite low) or kerb rash on the alloy rims"

"The Ferrari F430 will set you back $1700 for 24 hours, while the Lamborghini LP550 is $2000"

Does this still sound interesting??
      12-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

My mate once contacted them... here's what they said:
Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Platinum Drive Day experience.

Minimum age for all Drive and Track day experiences is now 25 and must be a full unrestricted drivers license.

To give you a little more info about the day:

Depending on how many drivers booked in will determine how many cars are taken out on the day. This is generally a minimum of 5. Cars include: Ferrari 360, Ferrari California, Aston Martin, Lamborghini Galado, Nissan GTR Skyline and Maserati

We do in fact have 2 Platinum drive day's:

1) Weekend Driver and Passenger deal.

2) Midweek Drivers special.

Drivers do begin driving from our initial point of contact at Rozelle and rotate along the way so that each driver gets to experience each car. This is divided evenly by the total amount of kilometres being 200 from start to finish.

Depending whether you choose to do our midweek drive at only $895 per driver, this does require some passenger time as drivers alternate more frequently with more stops along the way, compared to $995 for our Weekend drive day where you being the only driver means fewer stops, and are also able to bring along a passenger to share the experience at an additional $395.

These prices include your initial briefing before we head out By your hosts David Potter and myself. Snacks along the way at each stop and a 3 course meal at the Harbourview restaurant on our arrival at Wollongong.
There's a bond needed though. Something crazy like over $10,000.

Oh and...
Quote:
This is how it works. You drive...they sit next to you. If they think your a good driver and sensible and have some sort of idea on how to handle a car they will let you be a little heavy footed. If your just a hoon looking to thrash be sure to get told to fuck off and go home.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzttt.

With that attitude, (who writes 'fuck' in an email to customers?) I have zero confidence in them. I also vaguely remember reading about people who have had a lot of trouble getting their deposit back, although I do not know which company is involved.

Plus it is way overpriced.

I
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzttt.

With that attitude, (who writes 'fuck' in an email to customers?) I have zero confidence in them. I also vaguely remember reading about people who have had a lot of trouble getting their deposit back, although I do not know which company is involved.

Plus it is way overpriced.

I
Oh woops, sorry, should have mentioned that the last quote is from a mate of one the part time drivers of that company. It was not sent by the company.

Still, it's a once in a lifetime event for most people, which is why they're still in business imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I reckon you could just move to Europe for a year to get all your fast car needs out of your system.

Buy a 2 year old Aston Martin for about the price of a new 320 in Oz and blast off down the autobahn.
Appreciate 0