E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Zaino - Not impressed & Questions

09-20-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
Big Foot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Zaino - Not impressed & Questions

I performed the following: (Car has 6,000 km)
Wash with Dawn
Dry with Microfibre - no waterspots or swirls
Apply Z2/ZFX - 1.8 oz with 7 drops ZFX
Wait approx 20 min then wipe off with microfibre
Apply Z6 with microfibre
Repeat above
I got a good shine, but I don't think any better than with high quality wax.
I didn't Clay Bar as there was no water spots, dirt etc
Also, I found it hard to see where Z2 was applied to. I used all 1.8 oz in two applications and did it ouside in part sunlight
Question?
Can I repeat the above without washing with Dawn in a week or so?
Also, do you apply Z6 after all washes?
Thanks
      09-21-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

Q: Can I repeat the above without washing with Dawn in a week or so?
A: Yes - don't use Dawn for normal washes. Wash w/ Dawn only when you want to strip the surface of wax or polish. But if you gotta wait a week or so, do wash first with a non-stripping car wash. Try the Zaino car wash.

Q:Also, do you apply Z6 after all washes?
A: I do, yes.

The Zaino shine is not necessarily better or shinier than a high quality wax such as Zymol. But it is close AND it lasts much longer. Do one or two more coats to your Zaino and you should be good until Christmas.

get off the phone and drive
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
Big Foot
Private
Rep

Big help both on this board and Bimmerfest Board.
Thanks
This weekend I will wash with California Car Shampoo and apply 2 more coats of Z2/ZFX
Only this time, I will do it in the garage and hopefully it will be easier to see where I've applied the Zaino.
That will probably be it until the spring, too cold here in the winter, but I always hand wash with car shampoo.
      09-22-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Is the little bottle they include 2 oz? If so, 1.8 oz should go farther than 2 coats. It is very difficult to not put too much on, but you should not really see the product on the surface much either. If you see it like a haze relative to regular wax, you've got way too much. Shouldn't hurt anything (although mine MAY have caused the scratching) but you are wasting product.
It's the same with the Z6. For that I normally make one spray on an applicator pad per door/quarter panel/half the hood. After about 3 or 4 coats of Z2, I think you migh begin to see a quality difference in the shine. That's about where I did.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

How about a coat of Z5 before the Z2? Should help with some swirls and minor imperfections. I find the Z2 really is the finishing touch with a couple applications. You will also be suprised with how long it lasts.
      09-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Big Foot
Private
Rep

I applied 1 more coat of Zaino Z2 mixed with ZFX and Z6 for a total of 3 coats.
Do you have to mix ZFX with the Z2 on subsiquent applications?
I am hoping to apply 1 coat of Z2 and Z6 after each wash with Mothers Gold Car Shampoo over the next month for probably 3 more coats and I don't think I have enough ZFX for each application.
I am still having troupbe applying the Zaino thin ennough to get more than 1 application from 1 oz.
Also, how hard do you rub when applying the Z2?
I must admit, water sure beads up on the Zaino polished surface!!
      09-25-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

Don't overuse the ZFX, only a couple drops. You don't have to use the ZFX, but you will choose to because it accelerates dry time (dramatically). I fill the little bottle about 3/4 full with the Z2 and use 5 drops of ZFX. You shouldn't need too much of it, that's why the bottle is so small.
I wouldn't apply the Z2 after every wash, seems like a bit of overkill. Just wash and Z6 should be good.
No, you don't have to rub hard at all, just apply to the surface.
      09-26-2005, 12:53 AM   #8
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

I found 1/2 of the little bottle w/ Z2 +4 drops ZFX will do the whole car. As UncleWede sez, you do not need to see the Zaino when applied (or look at a low angle across the surface) to get adequate coverage. I pretty much wipe it on rather than rub. Front to back on the horizontal surfaces, top to bottom on the verticals.

get off the phone and drive
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2005, 08:47 AM   #9
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I used Z2 straight out the bottle after the first two coats of Z2/ZFX. The directions say its OK, ust need to use ZFX every 10th time, or if you intend to do more than one coat in a day. I can't say as I needed much more time without than with. If you put it on thin enough, "drying time" isn't an issue. By the time I got back arond to where I started, it was ready to come off.
Z6 or Z8 after every wash is your best best to maintain, but give her a few more coats over the next couple of washes and watch her glow!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Your using way to much product. I can do my 330i with .5 ounces or a 1/4 of the mixing bottles supplied. You have to put it on light, that paint will almost look hazy, or dirty from a distance.

Has the car ever been clayed?? If not i would do this for many reasons.

You have any z-5 or z-8??

Personally I think Zaino looks better 2 days later then when you first put it on. It has a completely different look then most waxes/systems. It might possibly not be for you. Plus the durability is the best part of Zaino, and the upkeep on the car afterwards is super easy.

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Don't expect a big difference on a a new car / new paint. This holds true for any wax. As said above, Zaino's strength is durability. And now with Z2 Pro and Z8 together, Zaino can also compete with the best carnuba in terms of looks.

1.8 ounces is not really over use for a beginner. The ZFX bottles are 4 ounces. I usually use 1/4 of the bottle (= 1 ounce) and I'm able to get three coats including one on the glass and rims. I find this to be perfect. Just my experience though.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
I just did a quick Zaino job yesterday on my e90 and it came out great. I had some swirl marks from when the dealer decided to wash the car, Z2 took it right out. Of course then some asshole in my parking garage decided to put finger prints all over my car last night. People are real assholes where I live.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #13
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Ughhhh! Video tape in the garage?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #14
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Ughhhh! Video tape in the garage?
unfortunately we don't. before when i had a TSX someone dragged a piece of furniture down the side of my car.

needless to say, I've been looking to move for a while. i'm just not sure where to or if i want to keep renting or buy a house.

the fingerprints thing pisses me off, but luckily i can just wipe them off. i didn't have time this am so i will have to give it a quick buff tonight. if it happens again i'll have to get creative and catch whoever is doing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
lumberman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

at least they didn't key your car~
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
mrtbmw
Rep
Drives: Awaiting = 07 328xi

I am going to Zaino tonight for the 1st time...so I will wash with Dawn, Z18, possibly Z-7 after clay, then Z2 w/ZFX followed by Z6.

My question is this, before adding the 1st layer of Z2 w/ZFX...should I prep the surface with Z6? I know it says that the 2nd layer of Z2 w/ZFX will go on easier then the 1st because of the Z6...so wondering if you should just Z6 right away. I think I know the answer (it being "NO") for you want the Z2 w/ZFX to bond directly to the clear coat...but just wondering since they are all Z products.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Hey guys, I've used Zaino for a few years now and I've got a question on some of the new products.

I'm doing ED next week and I'm not quite neurotic enough to do the whole Zaino process over there not to mention I'm sure the TSA would find multiple small bottles of liquid that smells like an accelerant very interesting. I'm thinking since it's new paint and should be about as clean as it ever will be getting some Zaino CS and putting that on just to have some protection while there. Has anybody used ZCS yet? Do you like it?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
For carry on bags through the passenger screening checkpoint, the rule states you are allowed no more than 3.4 ounces of a liquid, aerosol or gel in any one bottle however you can have as many of those bottles as can fit into a 1 quart sized clear plastic (ziplock type) bag. The TSA does not have these restrictions for checked luggage and you can bring some Zaino in your bag that you might be checking in with the airline, if that is the case.

I love ZCS and think that is a good idea for ED. I'd wipe it down with Z6 at delivery and then apply the ZCS. Might help protect it a little better for the voyage home too.
      08-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #19
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Even with ED, doesn't the vehicle go to PDC before you get it in the States? They clean it up for you (yeah, I KNOw you're excited about that) and make sure it didn't get scratched on teh voyage over.
I'd be asking the dealer about the delivery process, do they re-coat teh vehicle for transit, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #20
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Re-coat with what, cosmoline? Either way I think I'm going to get some ZCS for the trip.

I was kidding about the TSA. I mostly just don't want to spend a few hours of my vacation polishing my car in a hotel garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #21
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Applying Zaino is very difficult for Zaino beginners. Since it is a synthetic polymer, you do not "see" it as it spreads onto your paint surface, especially if applying in the shade. If used right, there will very little to no haze.

If you look at Zaino as you are applying it in sunlight and in certian angles, you will see how it spreads, but in the wrong angle or in the shade it looks like you are doing nothing to the car at all, but TRUST ME, you are. It's a visual thing.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 12:12 AM   #22
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsebrklyn View Post
Your using way to much product. I can do my 330i with .5 ounces or a 1/4 of the mixing bottles supplied. You have to put it on light, that paint will almost look hazy, or dirty from a distance.
+1

I am tired from doing my E90 today. I got two coats out of 1 oz. of Z2 Pro (half the mixing bottle with 4 drops ZFX), and I tend to use too much of it. That's 1/4 of the bottle per coat. My car looks f-ing awesome, if I say so myself.

It is hard to see where you apply it, but you can see it. I have a black car, so it's not all that hard to see it. Spread it thin or you're just wasting it. Spray Z-6 on the applicator to wet it a bit at first. Makes it easier to spread it more evenly.

Taking it off after it has hazed is the biggest PITA about Zaino, IMO. Does anyone use a rotary buffer to remove it? I think that might save me some time and sore arms.

Also - you don't have to use Z-6 after each wash. I certainly don't. I just use it as QD to clean the occasional bird poop or whatever between washings, and of course I used it today when doing the Z2 layers.