E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Military Sales Delivery

09-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Military Sales Delivery

I bought through BMW Military Sales program (from Pentagon Car Sales in Kaiserslautern) and am expecting delivery of my car in January. I was originally told by PCS that I'd be taking delivery at the Port of Charleston. I was told by someone else who bought their car through them that he had taken delivery at a dealership, with all the accompanying prep done for him. When I asked PCS about this, they said that dealer delivery only applied to people who bought from remote locations (like Bahrain), but it also cost them about $2K more for this. Has anyone out there bought their car in person from one of the PCS showrooms and then taken delivery at a U.S. port and, if so, what was the process and how was the experience?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
m!yuk!
Rep
Drives: 330i,sp,pp,nav

I ordered my 330i from Bob Helms at PCS. I am deployed to the Middle East though. I did pay a $2,000 delivery charge. I will be delivered to a dealer in Savannah, GA. I was also curious to know if that included dealer prep. A friend who ordered a SAAB from PCS years ago said he had to pay an additional $200 for them pulling off the protective film, washing, etc.

Question? Is there any difference in the interior of the BMW's ordered in the US and the ones ordered through Military Sales? My friend said his SAAB had some interior differences from others he'd seen bought in the states?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
E36_325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 325i + '06 M3

M!yuk!:
The standard delivery charge is $2150. That includes freight, marine insurance, import duty, dealership handling and prep fees. You will not have to pay any other fees once you take delivery other then paying for the balance of the vehicle by cash or financing.

The interior (and all specs for that matter) are exactly the same as if you would order from a dealership. There are no difference in the car when you buy through military sales.

To answer Tater's question:
If you have orders to a base in Europe, then you qualify for the less expensive delivery option of receiving your car at the port. I think you only pay like 700 or something like that. Those of us who are working in remote sites such as Iraq and kuwait must take the 2150 option to have it shipped to a dealer in the US.
      09-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36_325i
M!yuk!:
If you have orders to a base in Europe, then you qualify for the less expensive delivery option of receiving your car at the port. I think you only pay like 700 or something like that. Those of us who are working in remote sites such as Iraq and kuwait must take the 2150 option to have it shipped to a dealer in the US.
Exactly my situation. I'm paying the $700 shipping, plus $220 for PCS to pick it up in Munich and deliver it to the shipyard. PCS told me that I'm going to pick it up at the port in the U.S., and that it will be prepped (I won't have to do anything to it but put the tags on). I cover my own marine insurance, and I believe I'm going to have to pony up the 2.5% import tax in order to take delivery at the port.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #5
E36_325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 325i + '06 M3

Yep, you will get taxed at the port. Dont forget the state taxes too. Unless you live in a state that will waive the taxes if your in the military. I think Texas does this..
      09-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
mtnyeti12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

How much were you paying for the car through military sales? Also what is the process?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36_325i
Yep, you will get taxed at the port. Dont forget the state taxes too. Unless you live in a state that will waive the taxes if your in the military. I think Texas does this..
One of the benefits of being in the military is having the ability to easily tag your car in your choice of any number of states (semi-legally). I personally have seven states to choose from, but I think South Carolina is the best bet, with tax exemptions for military and no requirement for a front license plate. Wish I could get around that import tax though.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
JBOO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

That seems like an awful lot you guys are paying to get your cars delivered to the US. Seems like doing the European delivery would be as good if not better choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyeti12
How much were you paying for the car through military sales? Also what is the process?
Base for 330i is $32,300, vice $36,600 base in U.S. Options cost the same. Around $2,100 for shipping and import tax makes it a net savings for military of about $2,200 off MSRP. Active duty military and DOD civilians (I think) are eligible if they are on written orders for at least 24 hours outside the U.S. I believe diplomats also have a similar program. There are more details on BMW's website.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOO
That seems like an awful lot you guys are paying to get your cars delivered to the US. Seems like doing the European delivery would be as good if not better choice.
Agreed, and that's what I would've done if it weren't for airfare, hotel, and spending money. Add to that the fact that my wife would demand to tag along, and I would've ended up paying a hefty premium, if not to BMW, then to the German economy in general.

I did get a 1-hour test drive on the Autobahn, and I would still almost consider doing ED anyway, except that there's no way I'd be able to restrict myself to the break-in requirements.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 07:24 PM   #11
shack
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2002 325xiT

Garage List
2006 325xiT  [0.00]
2002 325xiT  [0.00]
I've got a very well equipped (step, CWP, PDC, shades, xenon, sat radio) mil/dip E91 325xiT being delivered for under $35K. It's a pretty unbeatable deal if you are eligible.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2005, 05:37 AM   #12
m!yuk!
Rep
Drives: 330i,sp,pp,nav

I ordered 330I, PP, SP, NAV, and just added CA for a $41. Gotta have it all!!

Question: For those deployed and having car delivered state side, will the dealer have a problem keeping the car for you until you get there? My estimated delivery is December 15, around the time I should be returning, but as most of you know, there could be a month or more variable between your estimated and actual redeployment date. I havent called the dealership myself yet.

Last edited by m!yuk!; 09-28-2005 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: corrected price
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2005, 07:42 PM   #13
AskNiko
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i + 4Runner

Garage List
06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater
I bought through BMW Military Sales program (from Pentagon Car Sales in Kaiserslautern) Has anyone out there bought their car in person from one of the PCS showrooms and then taken delivery at a U.S. port and, if so, what was the process and how was the experience?
For military sales, you have three options.
1. Take delivery overseas and register the car overseas at your duty location. At the end of your tour, ship the car using your "one car" entitlement or use Space A. With space A, you have to drop off the car at a designated port and pay a crane fee. Your transportation office can direct you to the nearest Space A location.

2. Take delivery in Europe, register the car and use it overseas. When you want to ship the car back to the U.S., let BMW ship it for around $700. You can drop off the car in several locations in Europe but you can only pick up at designated ports in the East Coast or West Coast (no dealerships). You can also pick up the car in Munich and drive it straight to the drop off point. The advantage of this is that you don't have to pay the 3% import tax.

3. Take Stateside Delivery option that costs around $2200. This includes transportation to your dealer of choice, vehicle prep, and the 3% import tax.

Several friends did option 2. One picked up in New Jersey and another picked up Los Angeles. It worked well for them.

I did option 3 because Pentagon Car Sales (PCS) messed up my order and delayed my production date by 2 months. Next time I will do ED and stay away from PCS.

Keep in mind that when you do option 1 or 2, you have to fax BMW NA the invoice so you can get warranty work done on your car.

Hope this helps.
Niko

|U.S. Spec. 325i | 6 Spd. Manual | Titanium Silver | Black Leatherette | Aluminum Trim | Sports Package | Xenons | Sat. Prep. |
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 01:36 AM   #14
RedLeader
Rep
Drives: E90, 6SP, Titanium

I was just about to pull the trigger with Pentagon Sales but my local dealer actually matched their price. I'm a Reservist serving overseas currently on my second year long tour over here. My local dealer is giving me $3,000 off my E90. Pentagon Sales gives you $4,000 off the MSRP. But you have to pay 2.5% Federal Import Tax on the total. $700 is the delivery to a local dealer of your choice. Bottom line is same price from my local dealer that I respect and purchased my 98 M3 from a while back.
Appreciate 0