2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Thoughts on: Seat Package, top-view camera, active cruise ctrl, smartphone integrat..

01-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Argelius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi (on order)

Thoughts on: Seat Package, top-view camera, active cruise ctrl, smartphone integrat..

Hello All,

After going on a very satisfying test drive of a 2011 535xi, I'm about ready to make the plunge and buy one. It will certainly be the most adult (and expensive!) car I've owned to date. My must haves include Premium 1 and 2, Convenience, Driver Assistance, Head's Up, and black interior.

A couple of questions for anyone who cares to chime in:

[1] Opinion on the "Active Ventilated Seat Package": one of the option packages I'm vacillating on. I definitely want heated front seats (but you can get those with Premium 2). I have to check out the multi-contour seats and "active" options, but thinking that since I don't do much long distance driving (other than my daily 50 mile round trip daily commutes). Thoughts?

[2] Side and top-view camera. I'm definitely inclined to wanting this, since it's a gadget and I must have all gadgets.

[3] Active cruise control: wouldn't use it that much, but sort of want it. Anyone have it?

[4] Smart phone Integration: the salesguy was saying this is not useful (especially with the ComBox) since in order to use it you have to buy the iPhone adapter which means you have to take your phone out of its case to use it. (Evidently the regular USB cable does NOT actually charge the phone, despite the charging icon displaying on the phone, however).

[5] Mojave versus Dark Graphite are my exterior color preferences

[6] Interior will be black and I'm leaning toward the light wood, rather than the dark.

[7] The "6NR" Option which supposedly allows for enhanced iPhone integration isn't out until 3/11 (although nobody seems to know if this is something that will be retroactively upgradable via a software update to cars made before this). I'm pretty sure this is something I MUST have...

One car currently on a boat was identified (with Graphite and the dark wood) that has everything except the top view camera .Ultimately, to get the exact combination I want, I realize this will be a special order. Does this mean you get a crappier deal than buying an existing car?

So, for anyone who cares to offer opinions on all of this, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
I have a 535xi. The things I don't have are: 1) Adaptive Cruise control, 2) Night Vision, 3) Vented Seat Pkg, 4) Cold Pkg, & 5) Top & Side Cams. I think I should have gotten the cams (I have it in the rear). I love the car Sophisto Grey, Black Dakota. The options I didn't order "I" didn't really need & I don't miss them. Good luck on choosing your options.......Great car!

P.S. I ordered the telephone thing just in case. I don't use it but i figured for the extra change($150 I think) I might need it one day.....LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
Simmo24
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
Hello All,

After going on a very satisfying test drive of a 2011 535xi, I'm about ready to make the plunge and buy one. It will certainly be the most adult (and expensive!) car I've owned to date. My must haves include Premium 1 and 2, Convenience, Driver Assistance, Head's Up, and black interior.

[1] Opinion on the "Active Ventilated Seat Package": one of the option packages I'm vacillating on. I definitely want heated front seats (but you can get those with Premium 2). I have to check out the multi-contour seats and "active" options, but thinking that since I don't do much long distance driving (other than my daily 50 mile round trip daily commutes). Thoughts?

[2] Side and top-view camera. I'm definitely inclined to wanting this, since it's a gadget and I must have all gadgets.

[3] Active cruise control: wouldn't use it that much, but sort of want it. Anyone have it?

[4] Smart phone Integration: the salesguy was saying this is not useful (especially with the ComBox) since in order to use it you have to buy the iPhone adapter which means you have to take your phone out of its case to use it. (Evidently the regular USB cable does NOT actually charge the phone, despite the charging icon displaying on the phone, however).

[6] Interior will be black and I'm leaning toward the light wood, rather than the dark.

[7] The "6NR" Option which supposedly allows for enhanced iPhone integration isn't out until 3/11 (although nobody seems to know if this is something that will be retroactively upgradable via a software update to cars made before this). I'm pretty sure this is something I MUST have...

One car currently on a boat was identified (with Graphite and the dark wood) that has everything except the top view camera .Ultimately, to get the exact combination I want, I realize this will be a special order. Does this mean you get a crappier deal than buying an existing car?

So, for anyone who cares to offer opinions on all of this, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.
I have 530D.

Pictures here :-

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417242

Heated seats are a must have.
Surround view :- reversing camera and birds eye view are great. I don't really use the side view cameras.
Have my Iphone plugged into centre console for charging and use bluetooth handsfree for calls.
I download all my music to the hard drive.
Mine is Imperial Blue Xirallic with Venetian beige, style 237 wheels.

Enjoy your car whatever you get, they are awesome.

BMW 640i Titanium Silver, Vermillion Red Nappa Leather, 19" V-spoke style 366 alloy wheels, Comfort seats. Front Contrast stitching, DAB digital radio, Instrument panel with leather finish
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
cerbera
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i xdrive M Sport

Had ventilated seats on my old E60; waste of time, didn't get them on the F10 - just made loed whirring noises and didn't do much to cool you. On top of that, the perforated leather holes were a magent for anything messy my son could spill .

Surround view cameras - great, a must have.

Active cruise with stop and go - I like it a lot, makes driving on motorways in heavy traffic much less stressful, pretty good on major roads, no use on smaller , bending roads.

My IPOD charges fine with the standard USB cable.

I chose the graphite wood, which I think looks good, but that's down to personal taste.

I'm really not sure about the 6NR option - I'm advised by BMW UK that it will be a firmware upgrade to a car with a combox, but do I really want to be able to access twitter and facebook through the car? For that matter, do I want to be able to unlock the car with my iPhone ( which doesn't need 6NR )

Other options I would definitely look at are HUD and Adaptive Drive

Last edited by cerbera; 01-11-2011 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

My 2 cents:

1. Heated seats are a must have. Ventilated is nice, but I wouldn't pay extra just for the ventilation feature. Multi-contour seats however are very nice and if it is an option for multi-contour with ventilation, then I would definitely consider it. I am not familiar with the US options list, the cars in Canada are configured differently, less individual options, mostly packages.

2. Side/Top-view cameras, a cool gadget, but I never use it, however I do use the back-up camera all the time. I find the back-up camera more useful than the top-view. Definitely get the back-up camera. If the other cameras come along with the back-up camera then get them all, but if you have a choice, the back-up is the most useful.

3. Active Cruise Control - I can't get it in Canada on the 535 (option on the 550 only), but if I could I would have. I have driven a 750i a few times on long trips with this and it is truly awesome, especially together with the HUD. You will never want normal cruise control again after one long trip with this option. I say if you can afford it, get it.

4. Smartphone integration - I'm not sure what this is. Is it the part in the armrest that you snap your phone into? Be aware that it will take up almost the entire storage area of the armrest. My car does not have it, but I do have the COMBOX feature (I think that's what it is) that allows me to check e-mails on the i-drive screen and it is a cool feature, standard in Canada, not an option.

5. No comment on colour except that Dark Graphite will probably be a lot more common.

6. Wood colour - again a personal choice, light wood will hide surface scratches better which are unavoidable over time, but for me the dark wood is nicer to look at.

7. 6NR - not sure what it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340

Mojave is called Havana over the pond and I have it on my F11 520 with Oyster/Black interior. I love it but looking around I think I could be the only one who does.Go on. be different!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks.
My two cents.

1) I got the active ventilated seats package and so far am glad I did. From my brief use of the ventilated feature before the Fall hit, it seemed to make the seats comfortable (black interior) quicker than my old car, which just had normal seats. The Comfort seats adjust in a million ways and with the articulated back, can really be dialed in for your body.

2) Decided not to get this so have no opinion to give. Back up camera is a nice feature though and have used it on numerous occasions in parking.

3) Active Cruise is another option I decided not to get. Mainly for the fact that I don't take that many long trips where I would use it. I can say though that the regular cruise system is hands down the best i have ever seen. The scroll wheel on the left hand side of the steering wheel make this an absolute joy to use and you can really tweak your speed as you go along. I would imagine that having the radar would be all that much better.

4) I also decided against the Smartphone integration. From all I have read it really does not give you anything other than charging. Some say better reception as it hooks up to the roof antanne, but I have had no issues with my Blackberry. In fact, I keep it most time in the trunk and it works great, both as a phone and now since I got the Torch (9800), can look at my e-mails as well.

5) I got a white exterior and didn't look at any others, cannot comment.

6) I got a white exterior, black interior, and the Light Wood option. I absolutely love the light wood and in my mind, really sets the interior off. The reason I got it was that with a balck interior, the regular wood does not seem to be that visible. The light wood however really pops, and makes the overall space seem bigger.

7) Although there has been a lot of discussion on the topic, I am still of the belief (my opinion) that 6NR will just be a programming upgrade. It will be a big one, but one that can be done and will be for all ComBox equipped vehicles. Combox was a long time coming and was in devlepment for years. It makes no sense that there would be additional hardware for 6NR, instead is the software that has been in development that Combox can accept and use. I dont think it has anything to do with getting the Smartphone integration option either. Since everything runs via Bluetooth, it should not matter if one has that option on their car.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT

Quote:
[1] Opinion on the "Active Ventilated Seat Package"
I am a big fan, but it depends a lot on your local climate, your own body temp, etc. The effect can be subtle, but if you live somewhere that it gets hot a lot, if you're ordering black leather and tend to park outside a lot, if you personally tend to run hot/sweat easily, then you'll appreciate the feature more. Agreed that you run the risk of dirt/liquid accumulation in the pores if you've got kids or pets (I wish there were a way to specify non-porus leather in the back seats).

Quote:
[2] Side and top-view camera.
I ordered this on my 550i, but mostly because I live on a busy street with limited visibility down the road, and pulling out of my driveway is often dicey. I doubt I'll use it for any other purpose, but in my case that's a daily occurrence, so a must-have.

Quote:
[3] Active cruise control
I think this depends on your driving habits. In three years of owning my current 650i, I've used (standard) cruise control exactly once, on a drive from SF to Palm Springs. Would ACC have been nice on that trip? Yes. But worth $2200 (or whatever)? Nope. I did not order it on my 550i.

Quote:
[4] Smart phone Integration
I opted against this, for several reasons: first, I never take my iPhone out of my pocket, and doing so would be a pain (not to mention the number of times I'd inevitably forget it in the car). Second, it chews up a lot of space in the center console. Third, there still isn't an iPhone4 adaptor, and my guess is that by the time there is one available, I'll have moved on to an iPhone5.

You can still pair your phone with your car via bluetooth, make hands-free calls, access the address book via iDrive, etc., without the smart phone integration package. (BTW my experience is that the iPod/USB cable in the Premium Sound Package DOES charge whatever is connected to it. I've had an old iPod plugged into it for 3 years and have never once removed it from the car, except to add music every few months. If the cable isn't charging it, I must have a magic iPod that lasts months and months on a single charge... which I obviously don't.)

Quote:
If you're at all concerned about resale value, you should go with Dark Graphite. Mojave does look nice, but it can be perceived as brown by some people, which is a turnoff for those buyers.

Quote:
[7] The "6NR" Option which supposedly allows for enhanced iPhone integration isn't out until 3/11
My gut tells me that the iPhone app requires specific hardware (perhaps a newer Bluetooth chip?) that can't be retroactively added via a software update. Otherwise they wouldn't be so specific about the 6NR option in the iTunes app description. I'm not convinced this new app does much of anything that's actually useful, FWIW. In Europe there is a different iPhone app available that allows you to control basic car functions (honking the horn, flashing the lights, unlocking doors, maybe starting the engine?) and as far as I can tell it does not require any special hardware... it's been out for some time so I tend to think it will work retroactively when it is eventually released here.

Quote:
Not in my case. Custom-ordering a car freed me up to go to any dealer, and to take my business from one dealer to another in order to get a better offer. Finding "the perfect car" at a particular dealer does give you instant gratification, but then you're basically at their mercy unless you're willing to settle for something less-than-perfect elsewhere. Dealers should have more incentive to bargain on a custom-ordered car given that they don't have to pay to keep the car in inventory until a buyer is found. You just have to be patient for 60 days while your custom-ordered car is built and shipped (perhaps less, if BMW ships your car to the east coast... not sure which port Chicago-bound cars go through).
Appreciate 0