E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2011 Harman Kardon observations and questions

01-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
ww007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 335i

Garage List
2011 Harman Kardon observations and questions

Hi everyone,

Just got a new 2011 e93 335i w/ the Harman Kardon system. In general, it sounds fantastic. However, a couple of things:

1. For those of you with this system, try this: play your favorite high quality music (CD preferably) with the ignition on. Then turn off the ignition while still playing the music. Wait a few minutes (or even just a few seconds may be enough). Does the music quality suddenly drop after the ignition is off, sounding very muffled? I've found this happens with any sound source (including the HD radio). My gf noticed it too after I pointed it out to her. I first noticed this when I was trying to adjust the EQ with the ignition off (had to boost the treble and higher frequencies due to the muffled quality); after I got the sound just right and started driving, it sounded like crap (mids and highs were too harsh). At the default settings, it sounds about right with the ignition on, but with the ignition off, it sounds muffled. Why???

2. This system supposedly comes with subwoofers underneath both front seats. However, although the bass sounds good, I don't feel any rumbling underneath the driver's seat, even with bass heavy music and my hand underneath the seat trying to feel for it. Did someone forget to wire my subs?

Thanks for your replies.

--WW
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
ajeffrey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is sapphire black

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
Based on my experience with the HK system in my 2011 335is something is wrong with yours. I have no difference in sound quality w/ignition off and subs def rumble....

2011 335is Sapphire Black/Black
6sp MT 269-style 19" rims
Convenience/Cold Weather/Premium/HK Sound/iPod
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Its not earthquake bass

If you want that you have to add a amp and ginormous sub woofer.
go to this sub board to get your audio questions answered

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Also if you fade the sound to the front it should increase the bass some
you also have equalizer settings you can play with

I am assuming you got the HK formerly called the L7 upgrade
you paid extra for it right?

Are you sure you got the HK
Also you may want to turn the speed sensitive volume control to minimum
I don't like this feature in any car.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161120

Last edited by ctuna; 01-11-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I have had logic 7 in a 2007 and HK in 2011. Neither have the problems you describe.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
ww007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks to everyone who replied. Yes, I definitely got the upgraded stereo system (previously known as the Logic 7 system) as it says "Harman Kardon" on the front tweeters and specifically says I paid $875 extra for this audio package on the car's invoice.

ctuna, I'll definitely check out those EQ settings when I get a chance.

I went back and listened to some music with the ignition off and it sounded normal this time... maybe my batteries were low before and the muffledness was was some sort of battery save feature? Or I might have just been hearing things haha.

I also checked the front seat subs again and I finally did feel some rumbling underneath the seat with my hands, but only when I cranked up the bass and volume. At that point though, it might just have been the vibrations from the door woofers transferred through. Don't get me wrong, the bass is still rather strong and tight but I feel the door woofers are doing all the work. For you folks who do feel the rumblings under the seats, is it really obvious (as in, you can feel it with just your arse?) and do you have to crank up the volume and bass to feel it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

I took my stock BMW Professional, added a Focal subwoofer, tweeters, and 4" door speakers....and wham...what an awesome stereo!

BMW REALLY falls down on the stock stereo that came in my car it was worse than what comes stock in a Toyota. I was tempted to go the HK route...but I was not sure if it was like Audi and Bose...just pay for the name...and louder sound, but not better sound.

Focal and a 3 series....yummy!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

I'm not sure what system you have, but I have the "BMW Individual Sound w/dirac" which was the best system available here for model year '11. It does for sure sound better with the ignition on and does not turn up as loud with it off. I assume but cannot say for sure that this is a power saving thing to keep it from draining the battery too quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
ww007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
I'm not sure what system you have, but I have the "BMW Individual Sound w/dirac" which was the best system available here for model year '11. It does for sure sound better with the ignition on and does not turn up as loud with it off. I assume but cannot say for sure that this is a power saving thing to keep it from draining the battery too quickly.
Maybe I'm not just hearing things after all lol. I haven't heard of that system; must be a Canadian thing or something earlier in the production year. Does yours have the Harman Kardon label on the from tweeters? Does it have subs under the front seats and if so, can you feel them making a significant difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
Jgcdude1
the bees knees!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

Garage List
2003 E46 325Ci  [0.00]
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
2011 E93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeffrey View Post
Based on my experience with the HK system in my 2011 335is something is wrong with yours. I have no difference in sound quality w/ignition off and subs def rumble....
1 something be going on there. Mine sounds fine, power on or off.

GL
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
renaultf1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328xiT 6MT

Agree with the others that something must be wrong with yours...I have HK in my 2011 e91 and don't have the issues you describe.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww007 View Post
Maybe I'm not just hearing things after all lol. I haven't heard of that system; must be a Canadian thing or something earlier in the production year. Does yours have the Harman Kardon label on the from tweeters? Does it have subs under the front seats and if so, can you feel them making a significant difference?
No HK label. It is an upgrade from the Logic 7 I had in my 2007 328. 16 speakers, including the subs under the seats. I think it's 825 watts total.

Come to think of it, I don't remember my 07 stereo even working when the ignition was not in "radio ready" mode. And I think it turned itself off after 15 or 20 minutes, which was annoying when I wanted to listen to it while detailing, but again was to protect the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
ww007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well I took my car back to the dealer. The service people said the speakers were working normally. I also checked out another 3 series with the HK system and it pretty much sounded and felt the same; I could barely feel the subs unless everything was cranked up. They said the subs underneath the front seats are actually pretty small and that you're not really supposed to feel them shaking underneath. After checking out another car, I'm inclined to believe them. I guess they somehow contribute to the bass (which is pretty good actually) without actually "shaking" things up.

Also, I haven't run into the muffled sound after turning off the ignition anymore. May have just been a battery save feature, who knows

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to these kinds of things...

Now back to actually enjoying the music!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww007 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just got a new 2011 e93 335i w/ the Harman Kardon system. In general, it sounds fantastic. However, a couple of things:

1. For those of you with this system, try this: play your favorite high quality music (CD preferably) with the ignition on. Then turn off the ignition while still playing the music. Wait a few minutes (or even just a few seconds may be enough). Does the music quality suddenly drop after the ignition is off, sounding very muffled? I've found this happens with any sound source (including the HD radio). My gf noticed it too after I pointed it out to her. I first noticed this when I was trying to adjust the EQ with the ignition off (had to boost the treble and higher frequencies due to the muffled quality); after I got the sound just right and started driving, it sounded like crap (mids and highs were too harsh). At the default settings, it sounds about right with the ignition on, but with the ignition off, it sounds muffled. Why???
I would suggest setting up your 7-band EQ and the bass and treble adjustments to your taste and also the S-volume (speed dependent volume) setting to at least level 4 while the car is stationary. That could help to eliminate that muffled sound that you are hearing while the car is not moving and keep it going while the car is accelerating.

I noticed the same thing in my Individual Audio system, and the culprit is somehow the S-volume adjustment as it raises the volume and attenuates the highs while boosting the bass (speed dependent EQ) as speed increases. By raising the S-vol level the highs are not attenuated and the muffled sound is gone regardless of the speed.

The Harman Kardon also has speed dependent EQ.

Quote:
2. This system supposedly comes with subwoofers underneath both front seats. However, although the bass sounds good, I don't feel any rumbling underneath the driver's seat, even with bass heavy music and my hand underneath the seat trying to feel for it. Did someone forget to wire my subs?

Thanks for your replies.

--WW
S-Vol can also helps you with this. If not then you will need to add a separate amp with some 150W max per channel to the underseat woofers, that helps a lot in the bass/midbass region.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
ww007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Technic, thanks for the tips. I have the speed sensitive volume to the default middle level, whatever that is. I'll try cranking it up and seeing if it makes a difference.

As far adjusting the 7-band EQ, treble, and bass, I like to leave everything at default settings because I feel a good stereo system should sound good without that sort of adjustment. Plus in lesser systems, adjustments can create distortion. I'll have to play around with the settings some more. ctuna posted a link to a nice thread regarding the EQ settings, but I'm not sure if they apply to the newer HK system too.

Maybe I'll replace the subs at some point. Overall I think the HK sound system is very good and goes for a more balanced approach rather than just car shaking bass, which is actually fine by me. I guess I'm just spoiled by the ginormous 12" Hsu sub that I have in my relatively tiny apartment
Appreciate 0