E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Towing xi

02-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
schorney
335 xi
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 xi Black Sapphire

Garage List
2007 335 xi  [0.00]
Towing xi

My wife was recently in an accident with our 335xi. The towing company towed it to the insurance lot. I know the xi must be put on a flat deck, so I am wondering if I should make a fuss about it with the insurance company or let it go.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
the_doctor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 335xi 6MT

As long as all 4 wheels are off the ground when they're towing it then it's ok. (i.e. dolleys are ok)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
schorney
335 xi
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 335 xi  [0.00]
No they just lifted the front wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi/2002 ws6

well its your fault for letting it get towed that way then. i dont let any of my cars get towed from just the front...always get a flatbed
      02-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Yea the only way to tow an xi on 2 wheels is to disconnect the transfer case.

I'm sorry to say this but jerflash is right. It's not the towing companies fault.

I would DEFINITELY have your drive train inspected by a certified BMW tech before driving it any more. Have them look at your transfer case. That is what can lock up when you tow it on 2 wheels.

How far was it towed?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

You should be fine as long
As it was towed far and obviously the car was in neutral. Just have it checked out at the dealership and keep your ears open for any unusual noises. Should be ok though
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I don't see how they could tow it without noticing a problem. Are you positive the rear wheels were not on a dolley? Also I don't agree it is your fault. Towing companies tow lots of cars and it is their responsibility as the towing provider to know if a car is AWD. With so many cars being AWD these days, they should definitely be aware.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
schorney
335 xi
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 335 xi  [0.00]
I am only going by what the tow truck driver told me. My wife was taken away from the accident scene before the car was towed. I went to the towing compound to pick up her personal belongings a few hours later and asked the tow truck driver how he got the car to the compound. He said he hoisted the front end and towed it on the rear wheels. The distance from the accident site to the compound is 3 kilometers.
I don't know why anyone would suggest it is my fault since I wasn't even there.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #9
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schorney View Post
He said he hoisted the front end and towed it on the rear wheels.
You're screwed..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

I hope your wife is OK. It can be no one's fault but theirs. Let them know tomorrow what you were told and that you will be having it inspected for damage. You may inform them that if there is damage to the transfer case they will be liable and hearing from your (or your insurance company's) attorney.

people>idiots>animals>rodents>vermin>tow truck drivers>???
      02-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSailor View Post
people>idiots>animals>rodents>vermin>tow truck drivers>???
I LOL-ed haha
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
I hope your wife is OK. It can be no one's fault but theirs.

Totally disagree.

Omission is not a good enough excuse. It's in the owners manual that XIs need a flatbed for towing.

If you're going to blame the ignorance of the tow truck driver, you have to blame the ignorance of the driver too. Because the tow truck driver is just that... a tow truck driver. They're not a mechanic, enthusiast, heck - who knows if they even have a 4th grade education. Same goes for the owner though.

The owner probably won't suffer much damage, if at all, as long as the car wasn't towed too far. But to free the owner of any shred of responsibility, I feel is silly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Totally disagree.

Omission is not a good enough excuse. It's in the owners manual that XIs need a flatbed for towing.

If you're going to blame the ignorance of the tow truck driver, you have to blame the ignorance of the driver too. Because the tow truck driver is just that... a tow truck driver. They're not a mechanic, enthusiast, heck - who knows if they even have a 4th grade education. Same goes for the owner though.

The owner probably won't suffer much damage, if at all, as long as the car wasn't towed too far. But to free the owner of any shred of responsibility, I feel is silly.

Not to pick a fight but in this case who's fault is it then? His wife was unable to tell them, she left the scene by ambulance. When they come pick up your car and move it for profit, they assume the liability of doing the job without damaging the car further. Ignorance on their part is no excuse. The car says XI on the back. Maybe if it was de-badged they have recourse. They are professionals, it is their job to know how to tow each car they encounter properly.
      02-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Totally disagree.

Lets give you an analogy then...

What if I claimed to be a professional detailer and you come to me saying that you wanted your car washed, clayed, polished and waxed.

You come back the next day to find out that I used 40 grit sandpaper on the entire vehicle and the paint is now shot to sh#t. Now who is at fault here, me as the detailer or you as the customer for not specifically telling me what polisher to use, what wax and every step that needs to be taken in the proper detailing process.

Obviously, you expect the professional (whether it be me as the detailer or the tow truck driver) to know their trade and how to properly complete the task they're being PAID to do without destroying your property.

I'm usually open for debate but this shouldn't even be an argument, the tow truck company should be at fault if there is any damage due to improper towing.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #15
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Not to pick a fight but in this case who's fault is it then? His wife was unable to tell them, she left the scene by ambulance. When they come pick up your car and move it for profit, they assume the liability of doing the job without damaging the car further. Ignorance on their part is no excuse. The car says XI on the back. Maybe if it was de-badged they have recourse. They are professionals, it is their job to know how to tow each car they encounter properly.

Actually missed that post that she was taken away in an ambulance. That does change everything. Arguably then - since it's up to the police to call for the wrecker in those situations, they could be blamed as well.

I had assumed that the owner/driver was there - which if they were it's both their faults. Can't expect an injured lady to confirm that they're bringing a flatbed.

And Pits, there's no need for analogy, I missed the part about the driver being whisked away. No need to compare apples to oranges in nonsensical hypothetical situations.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #16
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Actually missed that post that she was taken away in an ambulance. That does change everything. Arguably then - since it's up to the police to call for the wrecker in those situations, they could be blamed as well.

I had assumed that the owner/driver was there - which if they were it's both their faults. Can't expect an injured lady to confirm that they're bringing a flatbed.

And Pits, there's no need for analogy, I missed the part about the driver being whisked away. No need to compare apples to oranges in nonsensical hypothetical situations.

Not really nonsensical and not really apples to oranges but it's ok, reading comprehension takes time...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars!

What the hell are you saying, the guy's wife was taken away from the scene!!! he is asking a technical question about his car, he didnt ask whos fault it is. Grow up and keep it on topic.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #18
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Thumbs down

If anybody but the tow company pays for it in the end, something stupid happened.

Pushovers...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
i would file a subsequent claim with the insurance company honestly...this way it's at least on record if/when your transfer case goes. Those babies aren't cheap to replace!
      02-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
Amdahl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi

There may not be any damage at all. I would make sure the method of towing was noted, as well as the position of transmission and brake.

It might be that when the car is in neutral or park, the front wheels are disengaged. Possibly this happens whenever the ignition is turned off as well, as it is actually a servo motor that controls the front engage. The warning to flat-bed the car may just be a precaution for situations when the servo motor may not have disengaged, or for the potential of the moving parts to induce an engagement when the servo is unpowered.

If the car was put in neutral and parking brake off for towing with a rear wheel drag (which sounds like what happened), then there might be no damage at all.

Wouldn't the tow driver notice if a car was 'dragging' like a wheel wasn't turning or had a brake on?

Last edited by Amdahl; 02-23-2011 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #21
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
How far did they tow it that way?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #22
nyc4runnin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

whats done is done, just have the insurance company pay for the additional damage from towing - if there is any....
Appreciate 0