E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > BMS Powerbox for 325i, any feedback?

02-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350 F Sport

BMS Powerbox for 325i, any feedback?

Hi guys, I am thinking of purchasing a BMS Powerbox from the US. These are supposed to fit all N52 2.5L engines.

Does anyone have one installed? If yes, have you noticed any real gains in HP or throttle responsiveness?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

All the BMS PBX does is amplify the voltage from the fly by wire throttle and modify the paramaters of air/fuel so the engine runs rich.

If you're interested in a real tune, we're trying to organise a group buy at the moment, should give you ~7kw or so for a very modest ~$500 but it'll improve responsiveness
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=483444&page=4
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
MrBBQwer
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E93 325i, is350 F

I am Interested

But can you tell me how it works ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks bmroxm5, but I'm not really interested in that type of tuning.

BMS powebox has been tried and tested - I am primarily interested in killing off the lag in responsiveness. Happy with current power from my 325i and not planning in doing anything more radical than maybe fitting a Remus exhaust (long term project).

This is my mini project for the next couple of years. After that I will be looking at upgrading up to 535i.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwaddiction View Post
Hi guys, I am thinking of purchasing a BMS Powerbox from the US. These are supposed to fit all N52 2.5L engines.

Does anyone have one installed? If yes, have you noticed any real gains in HP or throttle responsiveness?
From guys I know that have it on their 125i's, they reported a definite increase in responsiveness on Map 3 (100% throttle correction and max 'tuning'). They did some 0-100kph and consistently achieved an improvement of 0.5s over many runs.

Hp gains are probably negligible

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Doesn't the 125i use a 3.0 Litre engine similar to what is used in the US spec 328i?

Anyway I am certain that it is a different engine from the 2.5 litre engine fitted to Australian delivered 325i E90 and E92. Normally I'd have doubts about using a plug-in upgrade designed for a different engine with lower octane US fuels.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBBQwer View Post
I am Interested

But can you tell me how it works ?
How which one works?

BMS PBX - fools your engine into thinking that it needs more fuel so the engine runs 'rich'. In addition, because our cars use a fly by wire throttle, the PBX will amplify this voltage. Which means when your accelerator is halfway down, the voltage is double (when set to 100% gain) meaning the car will accelerate as if it were at wide open throttle. The disadvantage of this is that between halfway and all the way down to the floor, there is no difference in acceleration.
It basically compresses the range of your accelerator pedal into half the travel, meaning each little press results in more acceleration.
The disadvantage to your car running rich is that over time, the engine will autocorrect itself and you won't have any HP gains. Many people will have this feeling that their 'pbx stops working' after 6months or so.

The 'tune' is a real tune that will modify air/fuel ratios as well as timing on our engines so as to extract more power.
Quote:
Thanks bmroxm5, but I'm not really interested in that type of tuning.

BMS powebox has been tried and tested - I am primarily interested in killing off the lag in responsiveness. Happy with current power from my 325i and not planning in doing anything more radical than maybe fitting a Remus exhaust (long term project).

This is my mini project for the next couple of years. After that I will be looking at upgrading up to 535i.
BMS Pbx has been tried and tested and for the first few months many owners will rave about how good it makes their car feel. Look at some longer term reviews of the PBX and you may change your mind. This is what put me off it. That and the fact that it's pretty much only applicable to auto vehicles.

I assume you're adding a Remus exhaust for more power? For the money the gains have a worse $/kw ratio than a tune and if you want noise there are other options out there. What's the goal here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
From guys I know that have it on their 125i's, they reported a definite increase in responsiveness on Map 3 (100% throttle correction and max 'tuning'). They did some 0-100kph and consistently achieved an improvement of 0.5s over many runs.

Hp gains are probably negligible
Maybe 2-3kws at the wheels if that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Doesn't the 125i use a 3.0 Litre engine similar to what is used in the US spec 328i?

Anyway I am certain that it is a different engine from the 2.5 litre engine fitted to Australian delivered 325i E90 and E92. Normally I'd have doubts about using a plug-in upgrade designed for a different engine with lower octane US fuels.
Correct the 125i is a different engine to the 325i in Australia however OE Tuning has tunes for both and this 'Group Buy' applies to all NA Inline 6cylinders and we only need 5 total.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e92

Map 7 for me. More pull than stock for sure. Map 3 messes up with the transmission gear changes for some reason it's just not as smooth and it's shifting all over the shop in day to day driving.
      02-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

@Stu, is that group buy tune your organising for syd only?

also... what's the go on a 323 getting it?

Last edited by Spikey; 02-13-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
MrBBQwer
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep

@bmroxm5

About the real tune, how hard is the installation ? If its really easy, count me in for the group buy

I got 325i E93 2007 , I dunno about the engine
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Correct the 125i is a different engine to the 325i in Australia however OE Tuning has tunes for both and this 'Group Buy' applies to all NA Inline 6cylinders and we only need 5 total.
Ok that makes sense.. Questions:
1) Roughly how much power / torque gain can we expect when using a standard exhaust?
2) Will the tune allow the car to run on E10 fuel?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
@bmroxm5

About the real tune, how hard is the installation ? If its really easy, count me in for the group buy

I got 325i E93 2007 , I dunno about the engine
It's a reflash of your stock DME. If you take it to a workshop, you won't have to do anything.

Problem is, if your dealer decides to give you a software update then you'll have to get the flash again.

Quote:
Ok that makes sense.. Questions:
1) Roughly how much power / torque gain can we expect when using a standard exhaust?
2) Will the tune allow the car to run on E10 fuel?
+10 peak hp I believe. However, the biggest advantage is that it makes the engine produce and much more linear torque/power curve in the midrange.

You definitely cannot run on E10 fuel, I believe it specifies 98RON. I don't think you should be running E10 in your stock car anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
@Stu, is that group buy tune your organising for syd only?

also... what's the go on a 323 getting it?
323i's should be fine, since the tuning is available in Canada for the 323i

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Canadian 323 is different to our 323 though.. in fact I think their 323 is the same as our 325i... will double check on its suitability for Aus spec 323s. Would be a great result if the Aus spec 323s could be flashed to same power as 325s, because afterall they are both running N52B25 engines but the 323 has a lower state of tune.
Just like the 125i has the same N52B30 engine as the 130i/330i/530i with a lower state of tune.

@ MrBBQowner - install will be quite easy. We'll arrange a meet in Sydney and get everyone 'flashed'.

@ Spikey - I guess i'm acting as the unofficial liason for the E9Xs on this and the actual group buy on 1addicts. You're in Brissy correct? Am sure we can work something out.

@ John - I'm hoping for 7kw atw gain from just the tune. Bolt on mods will yield more gains, especially with a freer flowing exhaust. Speaking of exhaust I was talking to a guy who managed to massage 33 rwkw out of an E46 330ci by adding hi flow cat convertors, 2 x 2.25inch piping the whole way back and retaining the OEM muffler in conjunction with K&N drop ins and a tune. He believes the headers are quite efficient from factory anyway so didn't change those.
Unfortunately price he quoted me for all this was $5k+ so I will see if I can get this 'off the shelf tune' (as opposed to his custom one) and combine it with a freer flowing exhaust in the near future to see some decent (~20rwkw) gains.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
MrBBQwer
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep

@bmroxm5

count me in Buddy
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #15
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I just asked about the E10 because I am not sure if 98 is always available if I travel to very remote country locations. Maybe I could use an octane booster if that ever becomes an issue for me.

7kW seems like an acceptable increase for a software only upgrade. The headers in my E90 325i include the cats. They are the primary and only cats in the stock exhaust system. Apart from the headers, the only other restriction in the E90 exhaust is the resonator and the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Canadian 323 is different to our 323 though.. in fact I think their 323 is the same as our 325i... will double check on its suitability for Aus spec 323s. Would be a great result if the Aus spec 323s could be flashed to same power as 325s, because afterall they are both running N52B25 engines but the 323 has a lower state of tune.
Just like the 125i has the same N52B30 engine as the 130i/330i/530i with a lower state of tune.

@ Spikey - I guess i'm acting as the unofficial liason for the E9Xs on this and the actual group buy on 1addicts. You're in Brissy correct? Am sure we can work something out.
Stu, if you could find out for me/work something out it'd be great~!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #17
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
@bmroxm5

count me in Buddy
great! I'll put you on the list and we'll see what we can do.

Quote:
I just asked about the E10 because I am not sure if 98 is always available if I travel to very remote country locations. Maybe I could use an octane booster if that ever becomes an issue for me.

7kW seems like an acceptable increase for a software only upgrade. The headers in my E90 325i include the cats. They are the primary and only cats in the stock exhaust system. Apart from the headers, the only other restriction in the E90 exhaust is the resonator and the muffler.
I'll ask about the E10 or if the tune is available so the car can run on something besides 98.
I'm yet to have my car up on a hoist and have a good peek around but I'll take your word for it there are no secondary cats?
In that case to get decent gains we'd have to go catless headers followed by hi-flow cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Stu, if you could find out for me/work something out it'd be great~!!!
I'll double check the applicability to the 323i and keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #18
MrBBQwer
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:

In that case to get decent gains we'd have to go catless headers followed by hi-flow cats.
How much would this cost? If not to expensive, I wanna do it
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #19
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

OBX Headers with O2 sims are available pretty cheaply, less than $500US.. add $100 for postage and $300 for install and I reckon you're looking at under a grand for 10-15kw at the wheels.
The only problem is you will now be catless, therefore driving illegally, so I'd recommend adding a highflow cat at a cost of $200. For the environment and for peace of mind just in case you were to ever be found out running catless.
Maybe this can be the next group buy lol.

MrBBQwer whats your ultimate goal performance wise? and budget wise?

Personally I'm happy with a tune for a few more ponies for $500.. maybe a freer flowing exhaust system for a grand, but after that I'd much rather save for a 335i.
As an E93, you'll also unfortunately always have that ~200kg weight penalty over the coupes.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:

I had mine installed in November 2009. I have had over a year with it and contrary to what you have read above, IT WORKS!!!

It is fantastic when set to map 3. Engine responsiveness is really boosted somewhat and the car feels like it should have come out of the factory like that.

The PBX Powerbox is great value for money, especially with parity $. Remember, there isn't very much that one can do to improve a BMW NA I6 engine, so PBX has taken it to the best they can.

Easy to set to Map 0, being stock or set it to any of the other maps within seconds. It is not recognised by BMW's computers during service.

You can remove it if you want once you have finished with the car and sell it. Win win situation.

I love it. Andrew at Southern BM in Moorabbin, Melbourne installed mine.

Go for it
Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #21
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

David325 thanks for your response. I am glad to hear that it has improved the feel of the car. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Yours was installed at SouthernBM. Did it cost around $700?

I am looking at buying direct from US for approximately $300 and either installing it myself or getting a good auto eletrician to do it for me.

Has anyone installed the BMS Powerbox themselves?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #22
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

I'll answer on behalf of David here if he doesn't mind lol, he got his from Mike @ N54tuning and installed at SouthernBM.

It really is a great mod, especially for the auto vehicles.

For those just starting to look into it, don't confuse it with a 'tune' though which actually alters valve timing. PBX is great to eliminate throttle lag, but a tune is discussion for a different thread.
Appreciate 0