E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Just bought 2006 330xi, tire question

02-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
HoJoPo
Former 1989 325iX owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Just bought 2006 330xi, tire question

I just purchased a used/CPO 2006 330xi with 48k miles on it (12 months and 52,000 miles left on the CPO warranty and maintenance contract ), and the car has nearly new Kumho ECSTA summer-tread runflats on the stock style 158 wheels.

These would be great if I was driving in the summer time or never needed to go in the snow, but I have family in Montana and will be driving up there from time to time. The Honda dealer insists they didn't put new tires on it, that it was traded in that way.

What all season tire would you guys recommend for the stock 17" wheels?

I've considered getting another set of wheels and some Blizzaks or good all-season tires, but maybe it would just be best to get some all-seasons for the stock tires and sell / trade the tires that are on it.

Also, the battery was dead when I went to test drive the car, but it started fine and seems to be OK now. How quickly will the battery go dead in a 330xi if it's not being driven?

From the AAA road side assistance sticker on the battery, it's been replaced at least once so far in the life of the car.

Other than that, I'm VERY happy with my new bimmer. Much nicer than my 1989 325iX (my last BMW, which I've been missing for a few years....)

The car is Electric Red with tan leather interior, premium, sport and cold weather packages, with navigation and satellite radio.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
i really really like my continental dws all-seasons. they do ok in the snow, i still run a dedicated set of snow/winter setup because sometimes i have to be out in the mess before the plow guys get to work.

a bunch of us with 2006s are going through dead batteries now. my brother replaced his last year, i am going to have to replace mine this year. an independent bmw shop quoted me $235+tax, which is much better than the $400 the dealer wants. they won't cover it under warranty because of my driving profile (lots of short trips). wonder if they registered the battery when it was changed?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
HoJoPo
Former 1989 325iX owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
i really really like my continental dws all-seasons. they do ok in the snow, i still run a dedicated set of snow/winter setup because sometimes i have to be out in the mess before the plow guys get to work.

a bunch of us with 2006s are going through dead batteries now. my brother replaced his last year, i am going to have to replace mine this year. an independent bmw shop quoted me $235+tax, which is much better than the $400 the dealer wants. they won't cover it under warranty because of my driving profile (lots of short trips). wonder if they registered the battery when it was changed?
Thanks for the info on the battery. You know, I suppose it's possible that the battery wasn't replaced, just taken to AAA and tested. If I have problems again, I'll have to see if there's a date code somewhere on it. BMW (Surroz in Visalia) has already said they don't cover the battery since it's into the CPO/Extended Maintenance period. Fortunately the Honda dealer I purchased the car from is going to cover it for 3 months / 3000 miles.

I'll have to check out those tires, I've heard good things about contis. Weren't the stock tires likely Continental all-seasons? Maybe the ContiProContact SSRs?

The current tires are next to new Kumho Ecsta SPT XRPs, and seem to REALLY handle and stick to the road well. Maybe I should look for another set of wheels...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Yes, my car came with SSR runflats stock. lasted maybe 15k miles. In my 20 years of driving I have had two flat tires, so I figured I didn't need the new runflats and bought some 18" M3 replicas and the continental DWS.

For my snow tires, I bought wheels and tires from TireRack. Most of the wheels made by Rial on their site fit without the need of centering rings and some will use the stock lugnuts. I also believe they can all fit BMW center caps as well.

For my snow setup, I bought 16" Rial Salernos when they were on sale for $60 each. Bought some centercaps from ebay and I was set. For your 330xi, you can't use 16" wheels, you have to use 17" or up.
Appreciate 0