E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Aussie 335 owners who want to ProCEDE

03-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Aussie 335 owners who want to ProCEDE

Are there any Australian 335 owners (E90, E92 or E93) who have a serious interest in installing the ProCEDE unit in their cars?

Has anyone been able to get a reply from Shiv re: software maps for 95 or 98 octane fuel (the USA has poorer quality 91 and 93 octane as the most commonly available fuels). I've tried to contact him a few times but no reply.
      03-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
NickG
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT M/Blue, Jade Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
Are there any Australian 335 owners (E90, E92 or E93) who have a serious interest in installing the ProCEDE unit in their cars?

Has anyone been able to get a reply from Shiv re: software maps for 95 or 98 octane fuel (the USA has poorer quality 91 and 93 octane as the most commonly available fuels). I've tried to contact him a few times but no reply.
Doc : I've had a gentle ( and I hope not entirely negative) "spar" with you in the "age" thread, and don't want to appear like I'm being "anti" again for the heck of it. But why on Earth would you consider tricking your Aus based bimmer up with a gadget from a foreign supplier that won't even communicate with you pre-purchase?? What level of after sales support can you realistically expect in these circumstances? By all accounts Shiv sounds like a cool guy, but that hardly makes him US Exporter of the Year does it?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
      03-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Doc : I've had a gentle ( and I hope not entirely negative) "spar" with you in the "age" thread, and don't want to appear like I'm being "anti" again for the heck of it. But why on Earth would you consider tricking your Aus based bimmer up with a gadget from a foreign supplier that won't even communicate with you pre-purchase?? What level of after sales support can you realistically expect in these circumstances? By all accounts Shiv sounds like a cool guy, but that hardly makes him US Exporter of the Year does it?
Totally valid points.

I'd be curious about it, but wouldn't be the trail blazer and the first on the scene with it. I think you'll find with what they do with another computer running in conjunction with the stock DME you could achieve the same thing here locally with a PowerMod.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
recruiter
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue(manual)

Thumbs down

I would think more important than power in the 335i (especially) is getting the power to the ground without breaking traction.
In the wet its impossible to use the power availiable so at this stage extra power is not on my list.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter View Post
I would think more important than power in the 335i (especially) is getting the power to the ground without breaking traction.
In the wet its impossible to use the power availiable so at this stage extra power is not on my list.
So get the Drexler diff. Bavariacars can source one for you if you require a LSD.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
NickG
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT M/Blue, Jade Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter View Post

LOL I totally agree. 335i on bumpy diificult roads can be quite a handful!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
Dubois
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport//TitaniuM

First post guys so take it easy.......

C'mon, you can't tell me all you naysayers aren't at least a little tempted by the ProCEDE. $1600AUD for ALL that extra power**.

You guys just spent a veritable shiteload on your vehicle so for an extra 1.2% expenditure the potential grin factor if only on straight, smooth and dry roads is worth every penny.

DocB, I am with you all the way (though six months away until I take delivery of my car)!

**Disclamer: I am very conservative and would only put this thing in once I was confident of the ease and saftey ofthe device in terms of warranty and long term health of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #9
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
welcome dubois happy posting!
      03-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #10
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

only time will tell on the long term effects the procede will have on the turbos
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 02:39 AM   #11
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
i am sure teh effects are worth it... but no one likes to be a guinea pig...
      03-02-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I'm new as well and had read a little about this "procede" unit. From what I gather, this is a similar unit to Chiptorque's Excede units. Personally, I'd talk to ChipTorque as I know they have an upgraded version of Excede on the way. Designed and manufactured in Australia with local support.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 05:45 AM   #13
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
I test drove a 335i the other week, and boy it was quick! But i've got issues.... the car is just too much of a sleeper, i want something that looks mean like the e46 M sport, hence i amended my order for the 335i cabrio and put it back 12months to get a shot at the e93 m3 carbio, from the pics/photoshops i've seen the M3 is going to have the presence which alludes the 335i....
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 06:59 AM   #14
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubois View Post
First post guys so take it easy.......

C'mon, you can't tell me all you naysayers aren't at least a little tempted by the ProCEDE. $1600AUD for ALL that extra power**.

You guys just spent a veritable shiteload on your vehicle so for an extra 1.2% expenditure the potential grin factor if only on straight, smooth and dry roads is worth every penny.

DocB, I am with you all the way (though six months away until I take delivery of my car)!

**Disclamer: I am very conservative and would only put this thing in once I was confident of the ease and saftey ofthe device in terms of warranty and long term health of the car.
Yeah, but to spend that much money and jump in and start playing with the engine? No thanks, I'll wait until any issues with the donk come to light and get sorted. I like my warranty You can bet an aftermarket unit running with the stock DME = voided warranty.

Welcome too by the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.G View Post
only time will tell on the long term effects the procede will have on the turbos
Why? What kind of impact would you think it would have on the turbos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
I test drove a 335i the other week, and boy it was quick! But i've got issues.... the car is just too much of a sleeper, i want something that looks mean like the e46 M sport, hence i amended my order for the 335i cabrio and put it back 12months to get a shot at the e93 m3 carbio, from the pics/photoshops i've seen the M3 is going to have the presence which alludes the 335i....
Only problem I can see is it'll probably cost what you could get a 997 for. The Coupe is getting a 5-10% price hike. A fully loaded Coupe was $160k on road before, the Cab even more.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #15
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
True...well it's nearly 997range but not quite... You can't get into a decent 997 for less than 220k and thats before moving up the range, and your around the 240k mark for a carrera s carbio so, if the m3 carbio tops out under 175k i think it'll be good value (well not value for money, but you know what i mean). But yeah you have to weigh them both up as they are both top cars.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #16
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

(Sigh...)

Where shall I start?

First, it's nice that so many people replied and have (some strong) opinions about the ProCEDE. Just one thing, if anyone is going to make commenta about the device itself, I suggest you go and read about how it actually works before critcizing me or the ProCEDE. There are some great threads on it.

But just a couple of points. It does not change the ECU in ANY way nor does it require you to change any of the engine internals. In the same way as the native ECU detects the octane fuel you put in your tank (98, 95 or , heavens forbid, 93 octane) and changes the engine mapping to maximize the car's economy/performance for that particular kind of fuel, so too does the ProCEDE only it does it better (BMW purposely DE-TUNED the 335 to make a bigger performance gap between it and the much more expensive upcoming M3).

The ProCEDE is not an ECU reflash like some aftermarket performance products (and these DO void your warranty because BMW will instantly see that the ECU settings are non factory). It is a piggyback system which "fools" the car (and BMW) into thinking that everything is within normal parameters, provides a great increase in performance (torque and power and driveability- more about that later), but still retains the native car safety failsafes (so you can't blow the engine up for what ever reason).

And it only takes 15 mins to install/remove and with no sign that it has been installed.

Regarding the lack of reply/ service for shiv. I am disappointed a little but we in little old Australia have to be a bit realistic here. He is so busy trying to provide good service to his US customers, why would he waste too much time with a product which [I]might[I] have a demand of maybe a dozen units. I know I wouldn't. Stay with the money. We may have to wait for shiv to provide a unit for European markets which have similar fuel to us.

Re: traction.
For those of us who haven't noticed, we have a drought and wet road driving is not much of an issue. A limited slip diff would be nice but that is a major differentiator for the M3, so we can't have one (yet...). Bumpy road traction is an issue though...

Re: power
It's not so much raw power I'm after. I'm more of a torque hound. The 335 is great for this BUT (and anyone who has a 335 should be able to attest to this) there is definitely an issue with throttle response i.e., especially in the lower rev range. From the other ProCEDE threads, this issue is effectively eliminated and has throttle response characteristics more like the NA 330 engine.

Re: Guinea pig.
I'm reading the threads from existing EXCEDE (the beta testing unit) and ProCEDE owners and so far no big issues. Realistically, I wouldn't have a unit for many months (the mapping for our fuel hasn't even been done) so many probs will show their ugly heads before then.

PS NickG : I love to "spar" if the topic is good. I don't get personal, I just love that people have passion for their cars (But not the kind of passion that puts massive 20' shiny alloys over drum brakes, massive subwoofers to fill the boot and a back door full of "performance" stickers ).

BMW //MPOWER: I like my car being a sleeper....

Now- are there any other 335 owners who want one???
(Thanks Dubois)
      03-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #17
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Only problem I can see is it'll probably cost what you could get a 997 for. The Coupe is getting a 5-10% price hike. A fully loaded Coupe was $160k on road before, the Cab even more.
No disrespect but I don't want a porsche (It seems that a lot of porsche drivers are wankers- probably not all but a lot). And I can't fit my golf clubs in a 997.

I've always liked sleeper cars- but I wouldn't mind an M3....
      03-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
I'm new as well and had read a little about this "procede" unit. From what I gather, this is a similar unit to Chiptorque's Excede units. Personally, I'd talk to ChipTorque as I know they have an upgraded version of Excede on the way. Designed and manufactured in Australia with local support.
Don't know much about this. Is it an ECU reflash?
      03-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #19
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It seems that a lot of porsche drivers are wankers
just like alot of bmw drivers are so far up themselves their ass is coming out their mouth

it's the same with any car... you get the good people, and the not so good...
      03-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #20
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
just like alot of bmw drivers are so far up themselves their ass is coming out their mouth

it's the same with any car... you get the good people, and the not so good...
Yeah, but I'm not a porsche driver so I can say what I like about 'em
      03-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #21
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
No disrespect but I don't want a porsche (It seems that a lot of porsche drivers are wankers- probably not all but a lot). And I can't fit my golf clubs in a 997.

I've always liked sleeper cars- but I wouldn't mind an M3....
Doesn't worry me mate, I'm in the same boat. If I'd have wanted a Porka I'd have one. They have no rear seat, you can't classify it that as a rear seat

I'm not knocking on the ProCEDE. I know exactly how it works, and what it does. It runs on conjunction with the BMW DME. People have being doing the same thing locally with highly modified BMW's for over half a decade. It's just that I don't want to void my warranty. If someone like yourself is happy to remove it before servicing and reinstall it, provided it requires no wiring into the loom then go for it! It sounds like an awesome bit of kit and FI cars are easy to get hp out of.

As I mentioned before though regarding aftersales service and warranty on the unit. You can get the same result here locally without having to deal with an overseas vendor. And I'd like to have it tuned locally for local fuel and conditions, but thats just me.

Good discussion.

EDIT: Just noticed you comment on US rated fuel. There 93 Octane is the same as our 98 RON from memory. Might even be 100. It's without doubt 98 equlivant.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #22
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Don't know much about this. Is it an ECU reflash?
The origional "Excede" is designed and manufactured by Chiptorque on the Gold Coast. This is what the US guys were origionaly using before. A lot of Scobies owners swear by them. Worth a call to the guys. I deal with the engineers and they are great people who know their stuff.

I personally don't like playing with my ECU but if what you are after is beter drivability, performance and local support..... Chiptorque deserve some consideration.
Appreciate 0