E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Key locked in car

03-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Red face Key locked in car

Hey guys

Thought I share my experience... my wife and I locked the keys for the 330d in the car this afternoon with our little one already strap in the baby seat already. For some reason, something must have push the locked button on the fob when she pop the keys back in the nappy bag... (dame comfort access... my wife relies on it too much nowday and never carries the key in her pocket anymore).

It was all panic as I tried to call RACQ and BMW roadside assist to get someone to us ASAP as there was no window open and it was mid afternoon. Luck it was not a very hot day and the car was in the shade so car did not warm up too much.

Anyway, RACQ was the first one I called and they later told me that there is no way they can open the car without smashing the window but they will get someone out in the next 10-15 minutes. Next I called BMW roadside assist and they too told me that they will send someone but there is not guarentee that they can open the doors either. Luckly, as we are staying with our in-laws these few month since we are building a new house, we got the father in-law to race down with the 2nd key with in 30 min.

A big thank to RACQ, as they were the first one to get to us. RACQ pull trucks out of their job as I call in as an emergency call out. 2 truck arrive first follow by a third and they were able to wedge the driver door open slightly to allow air into the cabine. They said the only way they can open the door is if the key is with in reach of their twisers. They tried to pull the inside door handle twice to get door open but as the computer has already register car is in LOCK mode, it did not open like usual. RACQ also called the fire rescue just to monitor the situation just in case there is a need to smash windows to get our little one out and they were the next on site. It was a very dramtic sight....

My father in law were the 3rd to arrive follow by BMW assist. I dont think BMW assist could open the doors either coz the lady over the phone doesn't seem very confident that they can open the door straight away.

I usually keep the plastic spare keys in my wallet for my E53 X5 but BMW stop giving the customer plastic key for the E90.

Does anyone know if I can a spare plastic key from BMW?
Has anyone locked their keys in their BMW before? What happen, and what did u do to get back in?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I didn't think it was possible to lock the keys in the car with comfort access

I've left the keys in the car tonnes of times; all that would happen is the car refuses to lock

maybe its an idrive setting preference?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

I didn't think you could do that with comfort access as the car recognised where the key was. However I do know that you can lock you key in the boot on a comfort access car.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e92

Sounds like you overreacted given the 2nd keys were 30mins away, if you were that concerned you shoulve smashed the windows right away.
      03-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purifyer View Post
I didn't think it was possible to lock the keys in the car with comfort access

I've left the keys in the car tonnes of times; all that would happen is the car refuses to lock

maybe its an idrive setting preference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
I didn't think you could do that with comfort access as the car recognised where the key was. However I do know that you can lock you key in the boot on a comfort access car.
hum.... strange.... My wife opened the doors first to let me put our little one in. I think something must have push the lock button on fob while we were loading thing on the car. So door locked when I still had my rear door open while loading and then I close door when I was done putting things in only to realise door was already locked.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Wow, glad it all turned out ok for you and your family... It sure would have been a worrying time knowing your baby was locked in the car and you couldnt get to them.

How was the baby during all this? Were they calm or crying? It would have been a hell of a lot worse if the little one was crying and distressed I imagine.

Great to see the RACQ responded so quickly and had the brains to call the Fire guys just in case things got nasty.

I've got no idea about the plastic key question, but I'd be ringing my dealer asap in the morning to ask them directly.

Cheers..

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #7
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
Sounds like you overreacted given the 2nd keys were 30mins away, if you were that concerned you shoulve smashed the windows right away.
Well... I originally called RACQ just to see if they can open the doors. I explain the situation and they say that it is procedure to send fire & rescue therefore I did not ask them to send fire-rescue. They even asked if I wanted an Ambulance which I decline as I know I can probably just smash window myself if needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #8
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD View Post
Wow, glad it all turned out ok for you and your family... It sure would have been a worrying time knowing your baby was locked in the car and you couldnt get to them.

How was the baby during all this? Were they calm or crying? It would have been a hell of a lot worse if the little one was crying and distressed I imagine.

Great to see the RACQ responded so quickly and had the brains to call the Fire guys just in case things got nasty.

I've got no idea about the plastic key question, but I'd be ringing my dealer asap in the morning to ask them directly.

Cheers..
Thx mate

Kid was ok at the start as mum tried desperately to entertain her She started crying when RACQ and other ppl came. At one point there were probably around 9 ppl surrounding the car so I guess she sense something wasn’t right.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

wow what a drama!

I wouldn't call it an overreaction - more of a precaution!

I thought BMW could remotely open the car somehow... maybe I made that up.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #10
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
wow what a drama!

I wouldn't call it an overreaction - more of a precaution!

I thought BMW could remotely open the car somehow... maybe I made that up.
I think I saw that in a movie once too. I know in Die Hard 4.0, BMW assist can remotely turn on the ignition. Maybe they can open the door in the state...

That would be cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #11
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep

So does anyone know if we can actually get a plastic key from BMW if we want to?

Might give them a call tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:08 AM   #12
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e92

Got it.
      03-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quite an overwhelming experience I imagine. I do believe it's impossible to lock the doors with the key inside with comfort access, I've tried it with my dad's X6.

The key fob has an actual key attached to the underside, so I guess they could just give you a copy of that at the dealership.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 540i, E90 320d,F15 30d

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
we had a similar situation with our 9mths old daughter once, you should consider yourself lucky! at least you managed to get the spare key on time, we couldn't afford to wait but to smash the passenger window, it was all worth it as her safety was our first priority.

lesson learnt - never let your kids fiddling with the car key!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Glad all went well. Had a similar nightmare literally when my car locked me out with the key in the ignition. Unfortunately I didn't have the spares quickly accesible and even when got to them had to open the car manually since the battery got flat somehow.
Here's the fun I experienced
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435438
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 03-07-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #16
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Quite an overwhelming experience I imagine. I do believe it's impossible to lock the doors with the key inside with comfort access, I've tried it with my dad's X6.

The key fob has an actual key attached to the underside, so I guess they could just give you a copy of that at the dealership.
Cool, I forgot about the key in the fob. I will ask if BMW can provide a spare for my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja333 View Post
we had a similar situation with our 9mths old daughter once, you should consider yourself lucky! at least you managed to get the spare key on time, we couldn't afford to wait but to smash the passenger window, it was all worth it as her safety was our first priority.

lesson learnt - never let your kids fiddling with the car key!!
Oh Crap. Smashing glass was the first thing I thought about when we realise how stupid we were.... How much to replace the glass?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #18
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

a window glass replacement will cost heaps since besides replacing the window you would have damaged your trim or the padding inside the door which would need replacement not to forget you could end up scratching your paintwork too. Think should be 1000+, atleast that's what my insurance got charged when had a breakin attempt, not to forget my insurance premium went up by 500 too besides the 550 excess I got charged since couldn't identify the preperator, so the insurance company made good it's loss from me. But if you had no choice that would have been the sensible thing to do with the baby stuck inside, lucky your spare key was within reach and your father in law was quick, guess he deserves a treat.
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 03-07-2011 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
J325i
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

wow, glad that you got it solved quickly. I once left the key in the boot, but wasn't able to close the boot at all.

However, what you said about locking the car, then close the door is probably true. Better remember it for myself
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
mully
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Executive Innovations

I have a 320D with comport access. My wife put her hand bag in the boot with her keys inside, I normally take my keys out of my backpack and put them in my pocket but this time I left them in the packpack, put it in the boot and closed it (both sets of keys are now inside).

I then went round to open the drivers door - it didn't open! Realising I'd left the keys in the boot I went back and was very supprised to find it was locked.

I have done this heaps of times in the past and the boot has always popped open when keys were left inside. This time both keys were in the boot so not sure if that is why it failed to open.

We rang BMW Roadside Assist and they were able to pick the lock, it took about 10 minutes but there was no damage to the car .

I told the guy from roadside assist that this is not supposed to happen, he said that I would be supprised how often it does. So the lesson here is don't rely on it!.

Thought I'd share my experience.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #21
SharifE
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

Glad to see little was well.

For the price BMW will charge u to get another key made for u. It's probably cheaper to break a window.

Also it's probably cheaper to break rear quarter window if yr stuck again.
      03-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharifE View Post
Glad to see little was well.

For the price BMW will charge u to get another key made for u. It's probably cheaper to break a window.

Also it's probably cheaper to break rear quarter window if yr stuck again.
I hope it never happend again. On the topic of getting a spare key (wallet key/valet key), dealership told me that it will cost $245.50 to get a spare key only made up. U will need driver licence and ownership paper. A full key with remote fob will cost around $785.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully View Post
I have a 320D with comport access. My wife put her hand bag in the boot with her keys inside, I normally take my keys out of my backpack and put them in my pocket but this time I left them in the packpack, put it in the boot and closed it (both sets of keys are now inside).

I then went round to open the drivers door - it didn't open! Realising I'd left the keys in the boot I went back and was very supprised to find it was locked.

I have done this heaps of times in the past and the boot has always popped open when keys were left inside. This time both keys were in the boot so not sure if that is why it failed to open.

We rang BMW Roadside Assist and they were able to pick the lock, it took about 10 minutes but there was no damage to the car .

I told the guy from roadside assist that this is not supposed to happen, he said that I would be supprised how often it does. So the lesson here is don't rely on it!.

Thought I'd share my experience.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by J325i View Post
wow, glad that you got it solved quickly. I once left the key in the boot, but wasn't able to close the boot at all.

However, what you said about locking the car, then close the door is probably true. Better remember it for myself
Wait a minute... So technically, we cant be locked out of our cars with comfort access???
Appreciate 0