ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

Z4M Trackday checklist....

Looking to do my first Trackday In the car this spring. What should I take?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

First ever, or first in the MZ4 Coupe?

First ever...Bring an open mind and a willingness to learn. Leave work, personal life, and most importantly, EGO, behind.

First in the MZ4 Coupe? Spare brake pads, tool box with assorted metric sockets and wrenches, tire pressure gauge, torque wrench, small cooler with drinks, duffle bag for helmet and change of clothes. Oh and a friend with a support vehicle.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

vehicle check - all bolts are torqued to spec, suspension is not leaking and in good working order, brake pads at least 50% or more remaining, brake fluid <1 year old, coolant level check, tire pressures/treadwear/condition, battery/items are secured, no loose objects

Torque wrench
Lug bolt wrench
Jack
toolkit
air pump
pyrometer
power bleeder
extra set of brake pads
extra oil, brake fluid
windex
paper towels
extra set warm/dry clothes
umbrella, tarp
helmet, driving shoes, gloves
food & water, cash
portable chairs
suntan lotion, hat, sunglasses
tire pressure gauge
video/camera & batteries
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
First ever, or first in the MZ4 Coupe?

First ever...Bring an open mind and a willingness to learn. Leave work, personal life, and most importantly, EGO, behind.

First in the MZ4 Coupe? Spare brake pads, tool box with assorted metric sockets and wrenches, tire pressure gauge, torque wrench, small cooler with drinks, duffle bag for helmet and change of clothes. Oh and a friend with a support vehicle.
Hear hear to the ego stuff and open mind. Many of the women, wife included, did better than some of the guys in our DS (first track day group). I think a lot of it had to do with not having a lot of ego involved and with what seemed to be their focus on driving the lines and being smooth with inputs rather than "going fast". That netted them more speed over the course of the day than some of the "go fast now" guys in our group. I suspect it will net the most gains long-term as well.

Guess who chatted up the instructors the most about this or that problem they were having? The women. Guess who ended up in a spec Miata with one of the instructors for many laps of tips and strategy (braking/lines)? My wife. Guess who I'm probably going to be pointing by the next time out?

I'd also add to the list "be very well rested". There are a lot of new things to learn and it's very mentally challenging so get a lot of rest prior to your track day and get used to being up very early. I'd really advise staying near the track if it's any distance away. We left for the track at 4:30AM and didn't come back until after 5:00 PM. Not smart at all--very fatigued driving home. Next time we'll stay near the track and avoid the super early start (and extra driving).

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
vehicle check - all bolts are torqued to spec, suspension is not leaking and in good working order, brake pads at least 50% or more remaining, brake fluid <1 year old, coolant level check, tire pressures/treadwear/condition, battery/items are secured, no loose objects

Torque wrench
Lug bolt wrench
Jack
toolkit
air pump
pyrometer
power bleeder
extra set of brake pads
extra oil, brake fluid
windex
paper towels
extra set warm/dry clothes
umbrella, tarp
helmet, driving shoes, gloves
food & water, cash
portable chairs
suntan lotion, hat, sunglasses
tire pressure gauge
video/camera & batteries
Good list. Might be able to skip the pyrometer, spare pads and power bleeder if you change out to Motul and have fresh non-stock pads first time out? (From the threads I've read around here the stock pads are just not up to track work at all.) Some tracks provide compressed air as well--so it might be possible to skip that as well (check first). But I will be taking spare pads and a pyrometer the next time out! I want to watch those brake temps and make sure we can get home safely.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

First ever "real" track day (have done a few instructional drives, 60% performance)

Definitely will leave my ego in the fridge to let it cool down while I'm gone

Z4M just had Inspection 1 so fluids are good (checked on my own as well), pads need to be replaced before the trackday, just got fresh PS2's (how much wear should I expect?, won't be attempting any sliding but will probably drive DSC off after some practice runs, maybe 15-20 laps of El Toro airstrip or Willowsprings/Laguna Seca)

Will be going with 2-3 friends so there will be a support SUV and a few helpers.

I've read our brakes performance will start to dropoff when overheated after 4-6 laps, but I don't plan on pushing myself to those levels on the first trip out.

Thank you for the lists above, gotta get it all together now and see what I have/don't have.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSKE92 View Post
I've read our brakes performance will start to dropoff when overheated after 4-6 laps, but I don't plan on pushing myself to those levels on the first trip out.
I find it rare that beginners will find enough speed to overpower the brakes within their first 5 events. If you experience "fade" in your first event...You're doing something wrong.

It wouldn't hurt to have fresh or high temp brake fluid since the biggest problem you'll likely have, is not doing a proper cool-down lap on the brakes thus allowing them to cool the fluid between run sessions.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
runnerx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M roadster; 06 330i 6spd

bring a chalk or shoe polish

chalk/mark your tire sidewall so you know when to add more pressure to prevent rollover.

2006 BMW 330i 6spd manual - gone
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--bIgrh8ES_s/TxSUCvOmDUI/AAAAAAAAPh0/OOjwrRZtta0/s912/z4mcomparo.jpg
Appreciate 0