E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Another car theft

03-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Another car theft

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/trio-with-...316-1bwf2.html
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

crazy
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e92

Genuine questions, I pasted up on a 2nd hand E46 M3 a 3 years ago at the height of the ATM robberies where ppl were stealing/jacking WRX's and M3s. WOuld you guys buy a good car still knowing these risk exist (risk of getting hit in the head by a baseball bat, or robbed gun point > other risk)??
      03-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

The M3 coupe should be safer than the sedan. It seems to be mainly 4 door sedans that are getting jacked. Even the Maserati was a 4 door - Quattroporte.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
Genuine questions, I pasted up on a 2nd hand E46 M3 a 3 years ago at the height of the ATM robberies where ppl were stealing/jacking WRX's and M3s. WOuld you guys buy a good car still knowing these risk exist (risk of getting hit in the head by a baseball bat, or robbed gun point > other risk)??
Personally I think the risk is more with the area that you live/drive/park in and not the car you drive. Obviously if you are driving an absolute sh!tta then there is less chance of it being jacked but it seems the question you are posing is more in relation to the model of the vehicle and not how much it's worth.

I doubt car jackers are the kind of people who research cars, their 0-100 times and exactly what they look like. If your that concerned that the badge will result in your car being jacked, simply remove the badge, it should help.

On another note, the chance of you getting jacked is fkn slim, obviously certain cars are targeted more than others (i doubt an m3 fits into this cater gory) but your also more likely to crash in a car which has more power. I don't see the jacking risk to be any more than the increased risk of driving a vehicle with that sort of power.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
I doubt car jackers are the kind of people who research cars, their 0-100 times and exactly what they look like. If your that concerned that the badge will result in your car being jacked, simply remove the badge, it should help.

I don't see the jacking risk to be any more than the increased risk of driving a vehicle with that sort of power.
2x C63's? and an Evo, I think they knew what they were looking for.

Should I now worry about having the top down? Perhaps I better go back to an MG for open top driving.
Appreciate 0