E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > ipod intergration oem Y-cable

03-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
ChrisJadesFireF82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F82 M4

ipod intergration oem Y-cable

so i realized why i dont get playlist n all my songs...bc im missing the oem y cable connection for the ipod to be fully intergrated...now my car was a cpo and they didnt give me the cable but told me about how the ipod intergration is in the car n blah blah...when i called my dealership they said it might be 80 im waiting till tom to call my salesman....has anyone who had a cpo experienced this...did you get the cable for free? or have to pay the 80 or w.e...or does anyone know where to get the cable for cheap...i bid on ebay for 15 bucks but i wont be winning it for that little lol...just info would help n i hope others who had the problem of no playlist n what not realize this is why
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Since you got your car CPO, they should give you the missing cable (IMO)...but there are a number of posts here where just like you the cable was missing and the dealer demanded the $70 or $80 bucks or so to buy the new one you should have been given.

If the eBay one works, great. But personally I'd be reluctant to spend more money on the OEM cable, mostly because I find that "full integration" on a non-idrive/non-nav car to be sort of crappy. In my 2008, all I get with the cable is the name of the song displayed on the headunit and the ability to skip tracks via the steering wheel button. (only the first 20 or so characters of the song title/tracklist displays anyway and there's no way to scroll horizontally to see the rest).

What I don't get is the ability to control the iPod/Phone from the iPod/Phone itself and the "integration" of playlists is dodgy at best. Scrolling through lists still requires pushing buttons and turning dials on the headunit. Some owners have reported that there's a limit to the total number of playlists and/or the number of songs in a list. Mine has started to scramble audiobooks and podcasts into the music shuffle...and shuffling (randomizing) keeps turning off each time I reconnect the iPhone with the car. Oh, and audiobooks quit out and won't restart whenever a phone call comes in. And (can you tell that I think this system is pretty flakey? ) it's impossible to start music playing after connecting the iPhone to the car IF I don't start the iPod application first.

I'm sure that some of this is due to incompatibilities between my 2008 and iOS 4.2, but overall "integration" with the car is more problematic than using one of the AUX options (cable or bluetooth) to play music and get full control of the iPod/Phone from its native interface. You can still control volume of the AUX from the steering wheel.

Check out some of the aux input devices discussed in the forums here. Griffin makes a nice one that also charges the iPod/Phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

You should have got the cable with your CPO car. I bought a CPO and while the sales person was going over the car with me he showed me the console and saw the missing cable. He said the owner probably removed the cable upon lease return and then made sure that I got one. Talk to them. Good luck!
      04-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
lungmulia
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI Ti Ag

Need help, Y interface cable.

Hi guys,

Somebody had an experience with Ipod cable Interface?
Got this cable this morning from and test it........it's not working

I bought it from :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
The seller claim the cable should be working without any problem.

I follow all the instruction at the seller ebay's page.
(connect the cable first when the car switch off, etc....etc).
The result is as per below picture.
AUX Front seems OK (thicked), but the USB is not connected.
tried many times but still same.

Just wondering if I need to reset the car computer? How?
Or, I need to do some configuration before / after the connection (for both ipod & idrive)?

FYI, ipod is ipod touch (32g, 4th gen) car : 320i 10 E90.

some advice would be greatly appreciate!

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
ERVJOHNS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi MSport

On a 2011 with Navigation a standard iPod usb cable should work - you don't need the y cable. Also you are plugging into the armrest and not the glovebox right?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERVJOHNS View Post
On a 2011 with Navigation a standard iPod usb cable should work - you don't need the y cable. Also you are plugging into the armrest and not the glovebox right?
He's got an '08. He needs the Y for it to display and play.

OP, your dealer should give you the Y since it was missing. When I traded in my '07, I told them the "Y" was crackling and they gave my friend who bought my old car a brand new "Y" when she picked it up.
      04-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
lungmulia
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
He's got an '08. He needs the Y for it to display and play.

OP, your dealer should give you the Y since it was missing. When I traded in my '07, I told them the "Y" was crackling and they gave my friend who bought my old car a brand new "Y" when she picked it up.
Thanks Wrickem,

Found the problem last night.
Seems that my 4th gen ipod touch have 4.3.1 OS which not communicate very well with my idrive.
When I connected with my friend's ipod (3rd gen) which having 4.0 OS, the car can read everything and work perfectly.
Did someone have this problem before?

I'll call my BMW dealer today to upgrade the software. Hoping they not charge me some $$.
The car still under warranty anyway.

Can i upgrade the software by myself? - by downloading the software from somewhere?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
ct335i
BMW 4 LIFE
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3xDrive

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm noticing echoing issues after upgrading to ios 4.3.1. Never had a problem when I was on 4.1. Anybody else?
      04-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
lungmulia
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct335i View Post
I'm noticing echoing issues after upgrading to ios 4.3.1. Never had a problem when I was on 4.1. Anybody else?
Hi ct335i,

Another headache!

My ipad 2 has ios 4.3.1 and can connect and operate perfectly with idrive.
Don't know what happen with my Ipod touch.
Maybe I should reset my ipod touch, reinstall and see how it goes.
(will not downgrade to ios 4.1 since 4.3.1 is working perfectly)

Will do it tonight and give you guys the update !

Cheers.

Update :
Call BMW dealer and they inform me there is no software upgrade for ipod.
The software update is only for Sat Nav.
Reset & reinstall the ipod and try to connect....guess what??
the ipod can connect and working perfectly.

Last edited by lungmulia; 04-09-2011 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
ct335i
BMW 4 LIFE
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3xDrive

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungmulia View Post
Hi ct335i,

Another headache!

My ipad 2 has ios 4.3.1 and can connect and operate perfectly with idrive.
Don't know what happen with my Ipod touch.
Maybe I should reset my ipod touch, reinstall and see how it goes.
(will not downgrade to ios 4.1 since 4.3.1 is working perfectly)

Will do it tonight and give you guys the update !

Cheers.

Update :
Call BMW dealer and they inform me there is no software upgrade for ipod.
The software update is only for Sat Nav.
Reset & reinstall the ipod and try to connect....guess what??
the ipod can connect and working perfectly.
Thanks lungmulia for your reply.

I have no connecting issues with 4.3.1 to car Bluetooth system. I just find the call volume high during the call and it tends to echo quite a bit. In the past I was able to adjust the volume off my Iphone but looks like that feature got removed on IOS 4.0 + .

I had reset my network setting and re-paired my phone.. will test it later today.thanx
      04-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
gotchya24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

i have an 07 335i but i dont have any plugs other than the aux cable...any options to get the ipod to connect? ideally i wanna see the folders on the stereo screen..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchya24 View Post
i have an 07 335i but i dont have any plugs other than the aux cable...any options to get the ipod to connect? ideally i wanna see the folders on the stereo screen..
Same here...wish there was a way..
'06 325i Black // iDrive // Cold Weather Pkg // Terra Dakota Leather // Lux 5.1 AE LED // Comfort Access // Premium Pkg // Ray's Sebring 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 w/ 245.35.19 - Mich. PS2 & 275.30.19 - Conti. SportContact2 // Front Bumper Splitters // MSD Air Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10 Q5

Garage List
I bought an ebay unit and hooked up my ipod nano and while it works, the sound quality is like an AM radio station. I have volume control on the steering wheel/unit but no track control and the songs do not display on the unit?? I have an 06 325i with the base system. Any ideas??
Appreciate 0