2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bluetooth Streaming ??

04-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

Bluetooth Streaming ??

Hi Guys,

Can you help i cant seem to work out how to stream music via bluetooth,

Ive got this info from BMW but cant seem to do it still , any ideads ??

Bluetooth Audio Streaming.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming provides wireless access to personal music libraries. Audio files stored on a mobile phone or music player are streamed to the vehicle via Bluetooth.

Description:
The Bluetooth Audio Streaming function allows personal music libraries to be accessed wirelessly, using a mobile phone or music player integrated in the iDrive control system via Bluetooth. The music files can then be played back through the vehicle’s audio system. It is possible to access audio files and make a phone call simultaneously.

Models:
All models.

Required options:
BMW Navigation system Business or Professional, Business mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth interface, Bluetooth mobile phone preparation.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Hmmmm, I've had the car for almost 10 months now. I didn't realize I could do this!! Any information is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

The phone has to support the bluetooth streaming profile. If it does it should show some music notes next to your phone. It is also some other limitations:

- unless your phone has some other music directory blutooth profile you can only do next an previos song.
- Your phone would probably use so much power so you need to charge it so it would not be wireless anyway.

Much better to copy your music to a $20 usb stick and use your usb armrest for playing your own music library.

This functionality is more interesting if using internet radio on your phone and blutoth streaming to listen. Not sure if and what phones would support this. Anyone knows if this is possible? ( without the 6NR/Iphone option)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eripers View Post
The phone has to support the bluetooth streaming profile. If it does it should show some music notes next to your phone. It is also some other limitations:

- unless your phone has some other music directory blutooth profile you can only do next an previos song.
- Your phone would probably use so much power so you need to charge it so it would not be wireless anyway.

Much better to copy your music to a $20 usb stick and use your usb armrest for playing your own music library.

This functionality is more interesting if using internet radio on your phone and blutoth streaming to listen. Not sure if and what phones would support this. Anyone knows if this is possible? ( without the 6NR/Iphone option)

cHeers...

I have got iphone 3gs , does the iphone support the above functions, I only connect iphone, car via bluetooth or the offical usb bmw y cable, i dont have the iphone snap in adaptor....does that matter ?

Last edited by cliveywolves; 04-13-2011 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: text
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

I have an iphone4, I can stream music stored on the phone and pandora (or any other internet radio) via bluetooth. It also works on my nokia E63. I did not do anything special. I just connected the phones for BT audio and that's it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489030
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveywolves View Post
cHeers...

I have got iphone 3gs , does the iphone support the above functions, I only connect it do the car via bluetooth or the offical usb y cable, i dont have a
snap in adaptor....
I have an iphone 3gs as well and it plays my music collection over the cars bluetooth. My car is a Nov 2010 and has no nav or USB and it works fine. Just select bluetooth in the idrive sound source menu. I don't have a snap in adaptor either, infact the phone sometimes sits in pocket and I can change tracks using the steering wheel controls. cliveywolves, I see you are in Staffordshire, me too, are you local to Uttoxeter? Or by your name maybe near to Wolverhampton

Last edited by k44ENT; 04-13-2011 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61 View Post
I have an iphone 3gs as well and it plays my music collection over the cars bluetooth. My car is a Nov 2010 and has no nav or USB and it works fine. Just select bluetooth in the idrive sound source menu. I don't have a snap in adaptor either, infact the phone sometimes sits in pocket and I can change tracks using the steering wheel controls. clivewolves, I see you are in Staffordshire, me too, are you local to Uttoxeter? Or by your name maybe near to Wolverhampton

Cheers for that ill have look on way home from work in while..My car is a August 2010 (60 Plate) without the new combox fitted...

Yep sure am Armitage/Rugeley, I was in Uttoxeter on Sunday !
Wolverhampton... Wolves Fan for my sins......
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61 View Post
I have an iphone 3gs as well and it plays my music collection over the cars bluetooth. My car is a Nov 2010 and has no nav or USB and it works fine. Just select bluetooth in the idrive sound source menu. I don't have a snap in adaptor either, infact the phone sometimes sits in pocket and I can change tracks using the steering wheel controls. cliveywolves, I see you are in Staffordshire, me too, are you local to Uttoxeter? Or by your name maybe near to Wolverhampton

Hi ,

I looked but I cant see any option on the idrive settings for Bluetooth / Sound source menu ? Where about is the option or is it possible I might not have this option ?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

Quote:
Hi ,

I looked but I cant see any option on the idrive settings for Bluetooth / Sound source menu ? Where about is the option or is it possible I might not have this option ?
earlier builds don't have that option, I don't either...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
Hmmmm, I've had the car for almost 10 months now. I didn't realize I could do this!! Any information is appreciated!
i doubt you can, earlier builds can't same with mine
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Did it come with the combox builds in Sept? I have it and stream music over bt from my iphone 4.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
givenst3k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '11 535i Dp Sea Blue/Cinn Brwn

So is that what I need, an iPhone 4; I currently only have the iPhone 3GS.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #14
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by givenst3k View Post
Nope i think you need a F10 with the combox which cant be retro fitted and came on post september built F10's
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep

If you are asking what you need in order to be able to stream via BT. I am not sure. I just know I just know it works with my Iphone4 and Nokia E63 (and probably any other phone that can play music via BT). I do not have combo box option. I just have the Iphone adapter option. Which is not needed to stream over BT anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by givenst3k View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
If you are asking what you need in order to be able to stream via BT. I am not sure. I just know I just know it works with my Iphone4 and Nokia E63 (and probably any other phone that can play music via BT). I do not have combo box option. I just have the Iphone adapter option. Which is not needed to stream over BT anyway.

Hi ..

So were is the option/setting in your idrive menus to allow the Bluetooth Streaming.. I was told you needed combox to do this ??
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep

All I do when I pair via BT is to select both Phone and Audio options. There is a video that explains exactly this on the BMW site.

Quote:
Hi ..

So were is the option/setting in your idrive menus to allow the Bluetooth Streaming.. I was told you needed combox to do this ??
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
All I do when I pair via BT is to select both Phone and Audio options. There is a video that explains exactly this on the BMW site.
Hang on just noitced your signature, youve got a 2011 F10 ? That comes with combox fitted they starting fitting them in Sept 2010. ???

But ill try what you said later on way home...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep

My car does not have combox or combo box or whatever it's called. I just know I have the USB adapter/plugin to pluging any USB device, not just the iphone, and the Aux in the arm rest. None of these are needed to in order to be able to stream via BT. Search this forum and the other bimmerfest, you wuill see that folks without iphon4 can stream via BT without problems. The key thing is that the phone supports BT streaming. Like I said, the thing even works with my Nokia E63.

Quote:
Hang on just noitced your signature, youve got a 2011 F10 ? That comes with combox fitted they starting fitting them in Sept 2010. ???

But ill try what you said later on way home...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My car does not have combox or combo box or whatever it's called. I just know I have the USB adapter/plugin to pluging any USB device, not just the iphone, and the Aux in the arm rest. None of these are needed to in order to be able to stream via BT. Search this forum and the other bimmerfest, you wuill see that folks without iphon4 can stream via BT without problems. The key thing is that the phone supports BT streaming. Like I said, the thing even works with my Nokia E63.

No probs cheers for help ...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
your car is Feb build, that's why you can BT stream it
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers for confirming that.....
Appreciate 0