E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Iphone and idrive

04-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Iphone and idrive

Is it possible to play songs on your drive by turning on Bluetooth on the iPhone instead on using the Y-cable?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarry92 View Post
Is it possible to play songs on your drive by turning on Bluetooth on the iPhone instead on using the Y-cable?
Can you use the Sirius or pandora from your iPhone to play music on the idrive through Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
tbracing
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1993 318I/ 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarry92 View Post
Yes. Why is everyone using the Y-cable, me all my frinds are just using the normal cable and everything works fine and it even charges my iphone and ipod
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
ww007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbracing View Post
Yes. Why is everyone using the Y-cable, me all my frinds are just using the normal cable and everything works fine and it even charges my iphone and ipod
The post September 2010 builds with iDrive have what they call Combox, which you can use a regular iPhone cable with. Car built before that require the Y cable I believe.

I know my Combox equipped car allows bluetooth stereo audio streaming. Not sure about pre-Combox cars.

And yes, I can stream Pandora using Bluetooth.

The only thing with Bluetooth streaming is you're limited to FF/Rewind controls. It doesn't show song info on the display.

Another annoying thing is if you're using Bluetooth and connect your phone to the cable, if you want to switch back to Bluetooth, you have to set it up all over again. Very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbracing View Post
The post September 2010 builds with iDrive have what they call Combox, which you can use a regular iPhone cable with. Car built before that require the Y cable I believe.

I know my Combox equipped car allows bluetooth stereo audio streaming. Not sure about pre-Combox cars.

The only thing with Bluetooth streaming is you're limited to FF/Rewind controls. It doesn't show song info on the display.

Another annoying thing is if you're using Bluetooth and connect your phone to the cable, if you want to switch back to Bluetooth, you have to set it up all over again. Very annoying.
When it's connected, I wish the interface was more like Apple. Specifically, I wish there was a "shuffle all" rather than having to start playing a song and then select random.
      04-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww007 View Post

And it also won't show album art if you're streaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
When it's connected, I wish the interface was more like Apple. Specifically, I wish there was a "shuffle all" rather than having to start playing a song and then select random.
I think you get that with the new BMW Apps (6NR) option.
Appreciate 0