Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Urgent advice please

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
lowlifeloser
Registered
Rep
Drives: n/a

Urgent advice please

Hello form members,

I thought I would register and ask for everyone's advice regarding the purchase of the above car (linked below).

http://www.chessvalley.co.uk/view_ve...1&vehicle=2425

After viewing it a couple of times on Tuesday and Wednesday and it look in great condition and felt fantastic to drive, I decided to put a £1000 securing deposit down with a view to completing the deal next Friday. Just for everyone’s info in the deal I asked for a few scuffs to be sorted out which included the refurbishment of all 4 alloys.

After doing some reading i have found that these alloys are prone to crack. I am getting really worried now and don’t or can’t afford to spend huge amounts of money replacing the alloys every year.

I’m just wondering if the 19 inch alloys in the 230 style are very prone to cracking or was it another style? It did pass its mot on the 30 of March.

What would you guys do if you where in my position? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlifeloser View Post
Hello form members,

I thought I would register and ask for everyone's advice regarding the purchase of the above car (linked below).

http://www.chessvalley.co.uk/view_ve...1&vehicle=2425

After viewing it a couple of times on Tuesday and Wednesday and it look in great condition and felt fantastic to drive, I decided to put a £1000 securing deposit down with a view to completing the deal next Friday. Just for everyone’s info in the deal I asked for a few scuffs to be sorted out which included the refurbishment of all 4 alloys.

After doing some reading i have found that these alloys are prone to crack. I am getting really worried now and don’t or can’t afford to spend huge amounts of money replacing the alloys every year.

I’m just wondering if the 19 inch alloys in the 230 style are very prone to cracking or was it another style? It did pass its mot on the 30 of March.

What would you guys do if you where in my position? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.
Most reports of these cracking rims have come from the UK but it is very street dependent. 19 inch wheels leave you with very little sidewall that transmits shocks directly to the wheels and suspension.

Once refurbished, you can always sell the wheels and buy 18's if you like the specs of the car.
Appreciate 0