E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Questions on iPod/iPhone integration for a 2007 e90

05-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
cormeister616
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Questions on iPod/iPhone integration for a 2007 e90

I got a 2007 335i e90. It does not have a USB port in the center console, nor do I have a CD changer option. I'm looking at the MOST iPod adapters offered by BMW, but before I drop $400 on this, I have a few questions, hoping people that have this can jump in.

-First I'm seeing a few different model numbers, so I'm not sure te differences between them. My local dealer has in stock 65110439429, but I also I've seen part number 65110036446.

-I will be using this with an iPhone 4, any issues besides the charging problem which I understand you need to buy an adapter to make it charge at the same time. I'm just wondering how easy it is to navigate the music thru the radio (without iDrive). Can I use the phone at all to select music and use the steering wheel controls to track forward and back, or are the iPod controls completely locked out and I am forcento use only the radio to control it?

-I use Pandora a lot, can I use the steering wheel controls to skip songs in Pandora, or do I have to do that at the phone?

-Can I still send and receive text messages while it is hooked up?

-And back to Pandora, can I access other apps like Pandora and Navigon while I have it hooked up to the radio? or would I have to unplug it to access other apps?

-Any delays between songs or selecting songs?

-How do the playlists work? Saw on a forum that it acts like you have a CD changer hooked up?

-Does the artist info come up on the display of the radio?

Thanks in advance. Been searching around but couldn't seem to find these specific questions

Last edited by cormeister616; 05-02-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

1. the different model numbers have to do with your model car....go with what dealer tells you since they have VIN and know what part is compatible

2. pandora is an app so i wouldnt think so but im not 100%

3. dont text and drive

4. yes ...from the time you connect the ipod to the cable it takes the car a few seconds for it to recognize playlists, genre, artist, albums...etc.... if you have navi then its much quicker and searching for songs if fast...if you dont then the 2 line display only reads out....2 songs at a time and can be annoying at times but i learned to just make playlists of specific songs and just shuffle through them.

5. playlists is the only reason i even use this connector. theres a button that says "list" on the display, after pressing that a list of your playlists come up... just press and your songs show up...doesnt take long either so idk if its anything like a CD changer.

6. yeah all info comes up but switching back and forth between info and change song screen can get a little annoying on the 2 line (non-navi) display.....

sorry if my responses are a little dull lol
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
cormeister616
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I wasn't sure if one model number replaced another, and maybe the dealer was just trying to get rid of an older model. But I suppose that makes sense, I'll double check with them with which one I need (I gave them my year and model, not the VIN)

Definitely trying to find out for sure if the apps are accessable. Most important thing for me. I need to access Pandora and Navigon. If I can't do that, no sense in buying this cable, I'll just stick with the aux cable.

I know I shouldn't text and drive, but getting an incoming text is sometimes important, and usually my passenger can respond. If I have to constantly disconnect the cable to reply, it'll get old quick.

Definitely good to know on the playlists, and I had a feeling the 2 line display might be a bit tricky, but no big deal.

Thanks for the feedback! Can anyone else confirm on whether or not the apps are accessible?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormeister616 View Post
Can anyone else confirm on whether or not the apps are accessible?
As far as I know, there's no way to control apps (other than the volume) through the steering wheel controls.

When I'm using the 6FL usb/aux cable setup in my 2008 (non-iDrive), I can access nothing on my iPhone 4 or iPod touch except the iPod functions. Those work as the previous poster described. The native iPhone/Touch interface is disabled, so any time you want to do anything other than iPod (music) functions, you need to disconnect the cable and do it manually from the native interface. I am running iOS 4.2.7. I hear that if you want to jailbreak your device, there are perhaps other options. But I don't want to do that.

The end result is that I've pretty much given up on the BMW/6FL interface (sorry, i d k about the after-market MOST interface...but I doubt it's different from the 6FL, but I could be wrong). I instead use the AUX interface with a dock connector for charging. I have the Griffin Autopilot - http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot with a dock extender cable so that I can mount the phone/touch up on the dash. This allows me to control everything from the phone/touch's native interface. Works great for the iPod functions and all apps.

The 2 line interface (which I find buggy even with the iPod functions under 4.2.7) is a pain and the lack of control for anything besides volume for apps stinks. I believe that the current model cars with iDrive have things better, but even that will probably only work well until Apple updates its OS and leaves BMW behind.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
cormeister616
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
As far as I know, there's no way to control apps (other than the volume) through the steering wheel controls.

When I'm using the 6FL usb/aux cable setup in my 2008 (non-iDrive), I can access nothing on my iPhone 4 or iPod touch except the iPod functions. Those work as the previous poster described. The native iPhone/Touch interface is disabled, so any time you want to do anything other than iPod (music) functions, you need to disconnect the cable and do it manually from the native interface. I am running iOS 4.2.7. I hear that if you want to jailbreak your device, there are perhaps other options. But I don't want to do that.

The end result is that I've pretty much given up on the BMW/6FL interface (sorry, i d k about the after-market MOST interface...but I doubt it's different from the 6FL, but I could be wrong). I instead use the AUX interface with a dock connector for charging. I have the Griffin Autopilot - http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot with a dock extender cable so that I can mount the phone/touch up on the dash. This allows me to control everything from the phone/touch's native interface. Works great for the iPod functions and all apps.

The 2 line interface (which I find buggy even with the iPod functions under 4.2.7) is a pain and the lack of control for anything besides volume for apps stinks. I believe that the current model cars with iDrive have things better, but even that will probably only work well until Apple updates its OS and leaves BMW behind.
With that said I'll just continue using the aux input, thanks! I knew you wouldn't be able to access apps using the steering wheel controls, but I thought maybe you could press the home button on the iPhone while you have it hooked up, and manually get into other apps. If you're saying you can't even do that, def no sense in buying this cable. I went with a dock too, waiting for it to arrive:

http://stores.homestead.com/2point5/...POD/Detail.bok

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0