E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > In-car Internet is finally on-line

05-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
gobobbie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E93 320D LCI

In-car Internet is finally on-line

I happened to check my BMW Services menu in my iDrive tonight and my MY11 (Sept 10 production) e93 had a software update waiting, which I clicked on, and evidently it downloaded and updated my in-car internet.

The in-car internet now works on my professional navigation. I had my iPhone plugged in via the white apple USB cable. Not sure if it needs to be plugged in. My phone indicated the phone was tethering via wireless hotspot.

I didn't have much time to explore but it seems to work ok. Interestingly, Facebook.com comes up in german language and wouldn't load. I logged on to facebook on my regular PC and it said that there was a suspicious attempt at accessing FB from "near Cologne, Germany". Strange - clearly the in-car internet has some sort of functionality via Germany I guess?

Anyway, this is great news for those of us waiting, and hopefully means the google send-to-car will be up and running soon, and those ordering the 6NR option (apps) will be able to use them.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

lol @ bmw germany trying to hack into your facebook account!

nice to know it works though. however i still dont see the point of having the internet in one's car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
bcoz
spectator
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d Sedan

Sounds like you got the default (German) update. Check if there is a region setting in options (similar to the setting for the TV Tuner).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
i still dont see the point of having the internet in one's car.
I'm of the same opinion ..... There are enough distractions already and this seems like a technology addition for the sake of bragging rights. When I need the internet in my car, I pull over, reach for the ipad and bingo.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Manoah
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i, LE R1

in car internet would be sweet for passengers. i want to say i wish i had it, but im never a passenger. lol.
Appreciate 0