E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > BMW Seattle

05-10-2005, 02:51 AM   #1
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
BMW Seattle - Seattle, WA

So I have not purchased from BMW Seattle but they pulled some shady and discurteous tactics in my opinion while I was shopping around for my new 330i.

I contacted them regarding availability and pricing of the 330 and when they wouldn't offer below sticker I told them about a much better offer I had from another dealer. They said if I provided a copy of the written offer they would try to beat it.

Instead they turned around, called the dealer who originally made me the offer and yelled at them for why they were giving the car away for anything less than MSRP. Then they e-mailed me back refusing anything below MSRP and refusing to do a courtesty delivery for me as well.

I will not be going back to find out how they treat customers in their service department. Their loss.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 04:30 AM   #2
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

WOW...Its idiots like that that give the business a bad name..its all about competetion, and they're pissed off because somebody else ALMOST beat them at their own game.... :mad:

Piss them both off and go out of town...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Heliskyr
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Armen52--

Was the other dealership that you spoke to (the one with the better price) in the Seattle area as well (BMW of Bellevue or BMW Northwest)? Your experience definitely makes me leery of dealing with BMW Seattle. So far, their best offer was not anywhere near the $1500 - $2000 off MSRP that some folks on this board sound like they're getting.

I'm trying to shop the three and so far none stand out as better than the others (still keeping pretty close to MSRP).

Or did you buy your car in CA?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Heliskyr,

Unfortunately, none of those three dealers near Seattle would come anywhere close to the deal I ended up getting on the car. Seattle wouldn't budge from sticker, Bellevue wanted to give $500 off. Northwest was giving the same or sticker, I can't recall. Perhaps its because of a lack of competition up there that they won't deal, I don't know.

I ended up purchasing my car from Pacific BMW in Glendale, CA. The deal that I originally asked BMW Seattle to match was $1500 off from Weatherford BMW in Berkeley, CA. I got slightly better from Pacific and I am waiting to complete pickup of the car before I post my review on my experience with them.

My suggestion to you is to possibly order the car from another dealer out of state and get it courtesy delivered at a dealer nearby, probably not the Seattle one. And unless they already know you in person, I suggest that you make up some story to not let them feel like you betrayed them and they lost the sale (such as you ordered the car very early on but then have had to move since then). That is exactly why I didn't feel comfortable doing a courtesy delivery with the people up there.

Or maybe you could even have the car shipped personally and still save money! I know that Passport BMW in Maryland will give you $1500 off sticker without any hesitation over EMAIL! Maybe you can get even less from them. I had two individuals from there quote me such a price. They did indicate that a courtesy delivery in that case might be hard to do.

I don't envy you as you're not in a great position. I hope things work out for you, let us know how they go. I'll be moving up there in a month and joining the BMW CCA as well hopefully. Let's go for some drives together
      06-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
E90Newbie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP

I ordered from Seattle and so far, i'm not too pleased.

the guy told me that it's too late to modify the order (i just ordered it like a week ago) i simply expressed that i *might* want to cancel the ZSP, and he replied "you're car is already in production so it's impossible to make that change" is he for real? or just afraid to lose the $1600?

plus, i still haven't gotten a production number so i can check status on the owner's circle!

so far:
i hope in the future i'll be able to post a thumbs up (i'll post a more thorough review once i pick-up my car)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Heliskyr
Rep

Armen52--
Thanks a lot for the info! Looks like I'll need to expand my options geographically, as there are about 4 other dealers within a 4 hour drive of me (Spokane, WA, Yakima, WA, and a couple in Portland, OR) and see if they're any more motivated. If I can't get a decent deal from those guys, I'll expand it even further. My hope is to avoid additional shipping costs, which I understand can be anywhere from $300 - $600+ though I haven't checked into it very seriously yet.

While I don't want to draw the buying process out longer than necessary (I'd like to be driving the car yesterday!) I cannot in good conscience buy a car for close to MSRP, regardless of how new!

I'm sure you'll enjoy Seattle-- there's a lot to do out here, and the scenery is beautiful. There are definitely some good twisties out here (once you leave the city) to see what your new car can do!

I'm planning on joining the BMWCCA as well-- we'll do those drives, and hopefully I'll have mine in a month or so as well!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
Heliskyr
Rep

E90Newbie--

Thanks for posting your experience so far. That sounds fishy to me that the car is "already in production" one week after the order was placed. When I've sat down with CA's at BMW Seattle & at BMW of Bellevue, they were able to show me long printouts of cars built and waiting to be shipped, cars scheduled to be built, etc. It looked to me as though there was a long line of cars waiting to be built several weeks from now. Unless they found a car that matched your specifications and ordered it right before production, I would expect that your order was placed in the queue to be built weeks from now. So I find it surprising that the order couldn't be modified.

Out of curiosity, what about the ZSP is giving you second thoughts? I personally have been really impressed with how the wheels look and seats feel, and the car definitely handles beautifully. In truth, I haven't even test drove a 330 without the ZSP.

With respect to the other aspects of your experience with BMW Seattle, do you feel that you struck a "fair" deal with them on the car? Could you recommend the CA that you worked with (I suspect not given their apparent lack of support?)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
E90Newbie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliskyr
Out of curiosity, what about the ZSP is giving you second thoughts? I personally have been really impressed with how the wheels look and seats feel, and the car definitely handles beautifully. In truth, I haven't even test drove a 330 without the ZSP.

With respect to the other aspects of your experience with BMW Seattle, do you feel that you struck a "fair" deal with them on the car? Could you recommend the CA that you worked with (I suspect not given their apparent lack of support?)
Since i'm going to get aftermarket wheels and suspension, i thought that i might cancel ZSP, but i decided to keep it.

As far as everything else with the dealer... i hate to bad-mouth them because i was brought there by a friend (who has purchased something like 8 bmw's with them)... but you can see why i'm frustrated with them. I just wished that maybe i had a different CA because mine doesn't seem very knowledgable.

as far as price is concerned, they didn't budge off msrp, but my friend told me to get it anyways and build a relationship with bmw seattle (he swears by them). we'll see if things get better in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 10:14 PM   #9
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Newbie
as far as price is concerned, they didn't budge off msrp, but my friend told me to get it anyways and build a relationship with bmw seattle (he swears by them). we'll see if things get better in the future.
Dayum what's your friend getting a kickback on his next Bimmer?

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2005, 01:53 AM   #10
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm sorry that you're paying sticker for bad service Luan. Wish you had seen my posts before you ordered.

Its possible that they picked a car that was entering production as yours but as long as you're willing to delay by a week or two, they could just change which one is "yours" and get one without ZSP.

If you haven't driven the car without ZSP I suggest you do, even if you're getting it. It is an incredibly softer and more comfortable ride. I was amazed at how large the difference is. I am getting the ZSP still, mostly for everything but the suspension setup but I guess I'll learn to love that as well.
      06-28-2005, 12:36 AM   #11
ba baracus
Rep
Drives: soontobethree

i maybe should have been reading this forum prior to going to order my car from bmw seattle but my experience with them was actually pretty good. i placed my order in for 325i several wks ago and they initially were not willingly to budge off msrp just like another bmw dealer in the seattle area (bmw bellevue) and then after some negotiating, were then willingly to give me $800 off. not the best that i have heard on this site at other cities but i really didnt want to go too far. after i changed my mind and decided to add xenons, they ordered me a new car with no real hesitations.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2005, 12:09 AM   #12
E90Newbie
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE:

I went in today to sign some paperwork. The dude was very pleasant. Plus the dealer messed up and put heated seats in my car so they gave me those for FREE!!!

They're also throwing in floor mats and a keychain, so that's pretty cool (although a pretty common thing)...

Overall i'll give my experience a 9/10... My main complaint was the lack of communication at first (more specifically: it took him like 3 weeks to finally give me a production number.)

I'll give him all 5's though because I don't want him to send me any nasty emails, haha.

P.S. This review might change because I haven't actually seen my car yet. If it has the wrong trim or something like that, then i'll be PISSED!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #13
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure I'll stick with Bellevue then. Bought my previous 2 cars through them. I think I ended up doing about 2k off msrp from each. Not great, but that's fine. I just refuse to pay msrp.

Some people might call it shady, but I don't do the real negotiation until the car is sitting in the showroom waiting to be delivered. I've always had a trade-in and they won't commit to a value for the trade until the car arrives, so I refuse to commit to a price I'm paying until then. Sure I sign their little piece of paper, but until the sales contract is signed everything's negotiable as far as I'm concerned.

Probably going to talk some basic #'s next weekend. I'll let you know what I come up with. Otherwise I'm ordering out of state and I'll take a couple days off work and head down to cali. I'm getting real tired of the "golden turd" syndrome that all Seattle dealerships like to pull when they've got a brand new model. And if the e90 is selling so well, why are the same 4 330's sitting on the lot from when I looked 4 weeks ago? And why haven't I seen *any* on the road? I live in Kirkland, I've been expecting to see some, but not even one at Bellesquare.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2005, 02:42 AM   #14
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Just to address obLu's comment about the E90 selling...

I've seen a handful of E90's since moving to the area three weeks ago with mine. I've seen not more than 5 on the road but they've all been 325's.

I noticed the "golden turd" syndrome up here in Seattle as you call it. That's why I ended up buying in LA where there are 30 dealers cutting throats for sales and driving it up.
      08-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #15
cosby
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i SG

For all e90 owners in the Seattle area, where are you going to take your cars for servicing...Seattle, Bellevue, none-of-the-above? Anyone know if one place has better service?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #16
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
Rep
Drives: das gut

first of all, as i'm new here and need all the support i can get, please post a note with your impressions/feedback/suggestions/criticisms/et al. deal?

second of all, i'll bottom-line it for those of you who don't want the hear the whole story: 42K for an auto/metallic 330i w/ premium, sport, and cold weather packages (as well as the ubiquitous satellite radio prep). naturally leather and xenons fall under those packages. i simply can't see going large in the line and sitting on leatherette. in fact, i can't see going large in the line and doing much less than loaded (less the nav, which seems quite weak).

what it took to get to that (in my estimation) mediocre price, was nightmarish.

forgive the length...

in seattle, the e90 is in achingly short supply, as i imagine it is nationally. it's simply one of those bad supply chain/consumer demand timings that seem to occur once every few christmas times when a new and inane toy is released and becomes the must-have trinket of the year (think furbie, tickle-me-elmo, cabbage patch). only the e90 is no trinket. this time, i feel BMW engineering team has delivered big time.

i began my pseudo-quest innocently enough a month ago, following a friend of mine who had just one month before purchased an '05 e46 to one of the three dealerships here in the puget sound to meet the "nice" and "low pressure" rep that she dealt with. upon meeting the lady, she explained that she'd been with the dealership for almost 60 days and that her only other experience was military fleet sales in germany (i.e. an order taker). i asked about the pre-owned inventory and we looked through about a half-dozen models that i found either one thing or another that wasn't to my satisfaction (not the right wheels, wrong trim package, too many small body flaws). on the way back into the showroom i casually asked about the e90. we looked, i expressed mild interest, and the next thing you know we're driving. i fell instantly and immediately (and above all, silently) in love. the rep was embarassingly devoid of most of the basics on the car (how to check the oil, activating cruise control, how to program the universal receiver, on and on). back at the lot she said that stock was basically at 1 (the arctic that we'd driven) and about 6 were expected in 2 weeks. i'll call you as soon as they arrive, she promised. 2 weeks came and went and i heard not a peep. several days past the 2 week mark, i called her. "oh, all those cars were sold when they came in" she said. i asked how many she sold. "1 or 2", she replied. i thought to myself that if she had an ounce of ambition she could have added another to that tally. not to worry, there's another shipment coming in about 10 days.

i dropped by the lot the following weekend, this time with my girlfriend, to show her the model and let her drive a bit. after this drive, we got down to some specifics as to which packages and colors i might be interested in. the rep sent us with a spec sheet that simply had the list prices and details on the forthcoming stock. titanium or graphite are in my top 10 list, i explained. she scanned and found 2 graphites that a northern california dealer had that perhaps a dealer trade could be arranged for. "i'll talk to the inventory manager at the dealership and call you first thing monday", she promised.

wednesday afternoon as i sat enjoying coffee with a buddy, she called with the news that said graphite could be obtained and "would you like to provide me with a credit card number for a deposit"? "i'll need to think about this" was the best i could do in the middle of a busy starbucks and told her i'd call her back (hoping she might find some irony in that as she'd not followed though in a timely manner on anything thus far). 30-45 ,inutes later i answered the phone at my desk to the sound of "just wanted to see what you decided...". i made it clear that to place a deposit before agreing upon a price was tantamount to lunacy and asked for her best price paying in cash (as in greenback duckets) and via a finance route. "oh, due to high demand for this model, they're not being discounted" she replied, adding that she may be able to "get a couple hundred knocked off for paying cash". am i the only sane one here or did she not just say that on a $44,000.00 car i was obliged to pay full sticker? i told her that i'd researced "invoice" (a huge misnomer if ever there was one), it's a shade over 39K, and i'd be willing to split the difference with her @ 41.8K. she said there'd be no sense in presenting it to her manager. i thanked her for her time and said that i was in loose negotiations with one of the other three dealers. she asked that i send her any deal and that her manager would generally agree to meet it as their primary competetion across town was "not supposed to be, but they're undercutting us". a few days later i forwarded her an e-mail from dealership B with a negotiated price of 41.8k. she called thanking me for the note and that she'd talk to the sales manager, but they'd meet the 41.8K price. i agreed that we had a deal. i mentioned to dealership B that i'd be in touch as their offering would take 6 weeks to arrive. no sooner had i returned to my desk when i found a voicemail from dealership A rep saying that they would not honor the 41.8K as the unit dealership B was quoting me on was not automatic. out of frustration and principle i called her back and asked how customers usually take the news that an agreed-upon price was no longer valid. she began to stammer and i made it clear i was buying from dealership B. meanwhile, dealership B sends me an e-mail that their unit was no longer available (and it was auto, BTW).

at this point, i threw up my proverbial hands and realized that it simply wasn't my time.

the following day, my boss said she heard i was buying a new car and asked how it was going. talk about a sore nerve... oddly enough, she and her husband had purchased 3 cars from a rep they spoke highly of @ dealership B (very close to the office, concidentally) and as she produced his card on cue, suggested i talk to him. 3 days passed and i relented enough to call who i just knew was going to be a typical cliched slime-weasel. he was *anything* but that, generously picking up the pieces of the charred wreckage that was my process @ dealership A and found either a titanium (on its way from california) or graphite (on its way from munchen). 42.2K was his price based on the referral from my boss, who he has a good relationship with. i begged for the .2 off waiving "costco pricing" flag, to which he agreed.

whew.

now, if you've read this far, comes the kicker. titanium is available here/now pre-price-increase. graphite may be subject to the 9/1/05 price increase and therefore unavailable at 42K.

bless you all for your patience...
-e-
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 05:48 PM   #17
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
Rep

ps: dealer 'a' = seattle BMW / dealer 'b' = bellevue BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #18
cosby
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i SG

etherbored - appreciate your story. IMO dealer "a" is shady all around. Unfortunately I orded from them before getting to know how shady they really were. Nice job on the deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #19
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
Rep

thanks.
i feel as if i went though hell.
-e-
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 11:07 PM   #20
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I am obliged to ask though whether or not you read my own experience with Dealer A before you went through all of this. If you did, I would seriously doubt your reasoning in repeating my own mistake of e-mailing Dealer A your written offer.

At this time, its more clear to me than ever that I never want to do business with BMW Seattle again.

Good luck on the rest of the purchase, you're getting almost the identical car to mine (diff colors). I am sure you'll love it.

P.S. The E90 is only "rare" in this area. In California where I ended up purchasing, dealers will cut you the deal you got with one or two easy calls. I don't say that to bum you out but to let you know that this situation doesn't necessarily repeat itself all around the country as you stated.
      08-17-2005, 11:48 PM   #21
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
Rep

armen -
to answer your question, i hadn't read this thread before i began shopping. oddly, my situation was similar to yours in that i had a good friend introduce me to a rep there...
as i live downtown, i'll have to maintain a good relationship w/ seattle BMW for service (which, as long as i don't have to wade through the sales area will be just fine)...
-e-
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 03:56 PM   #22
darkie
Private
Rep
Drives: going to be 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
P.S. The E90 is only "rare" in this area. In California where I ended up purchasing, dealers will cut you the deal you got with one or two easy calls.
First off, i want to thanks everyone for telling your stories about the dealers in this area. Definitely makes me think twice when dealing with certain dealers.

But from what i've been reading on this message board, the best we can expect in seattle is $800 off MSRP. Down in Cali (i was looking at the Bay Area dealers) the majority of posts are around $1k - $1.5k over invoice!!!! Makes me want to buy it down there and drive it back up. Do you guys think I could get those kind of prices over the phone or by email if i contacted one of Cali dealers?

One last question about courtesy delivery....how much does this cost? is this a complimentary service or is it something we need to pay for?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions. If you haven't figured it out, i'm a newbie. Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0