BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Moving to Colorado

Hello, I currently live in the Chicago suburbs and just accepted a new job that will have me move to Colorado in 2 weeks. I will probably be living in the Westminster/Broomfield/Lafayette area but I also look in Longmont and Loveland (my job is in Longmont and I don't mind commuting a little). Anyway, my 128i will be due for its first scheduled service in not too long and I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a great BMW dealership in that area?

I will come later for questions about great drives? Now that I am finally going to be in an area with nice roads (I think my 1-er never saw a slope yet in 1 year)
      06-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Caleb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hey, welcome to CO!

I personally take my car to Murray BMW, but I live downtown. That might be a bit of a treck for you. Maybe check out Gebhardt BMW in Boulder?

Also, be prepared for some serious power loss. Nothing like taking your naturally aspirated car from basically sea level to rocky mountain highs!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
For that end of town, there is Gebhardt like Caleb said, and there is also Co's BMW outside of Loveland. I also live in Westminster, but I take my car to Ralph Schomp on the opposite side of town which is definitely inconvenient at times.
      06-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Anthrax
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

I go to Ralph Schomp MINI so that's certainly where I will take the bummer here in a few weeks. They've always treated me well but it's a bit of a hike from where you are. Jason, why do you drive all the way down here to go to Schomp?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
I go to Ralph Schomp MINI so that's certainly where I will take the bummer here in a few weeks. They've always treated me well but it's a bit of a hike from where you are. Jason, why do you drive all the way down here to go to Schomp?
My family has bought several different cars from Schomp, which is why I originally purchased my 1er from there. I've always received a loaner car from them without any issue when I've taken my car in for service as well. Plus, Gebhardt and Murray aren't that much closer to me, so I figured I'd stick with Schomp for service.
      06-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I'm outta colorado springs..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the good pieces of advice, I will most likely try Schomp. I just arrived here for 3 day house hunt and cannot wait to drive these roads with the 1-er, the rental Chevy Cobalt does not cut it
      06-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
There are some really great drivers roads in the mountains out here. The local BMW CCA chapter just did a drive leaving Fort Collins up through the Poudre Canyon to Walden, then south to Winter Park and back to Denver. Definitely a great route to take if you have a day to spend in the mountains. Depending on the road, traffic does increase in the summer months though. Good luck with the house hunt.
      06-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
I was going to say Schomp is the only place I would specifically avoid. Mostly because their sales staff is terrible and also slightly because its practically in CO Springs now (its in the middle of nowhere). Not sure how the service department is, but I dont plan to find out. If youre in Westminster...Schomp is about as out of the way as it gets, the 3 other dealerships mentioned here are worlds closer to you.

I use Murray and love them, always a BMW loaner and always go the extra mile and never try to put anything back on the owner. I worked with Gebhardt a bunch when I was thinking about buying new and they were great as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
Xaerran
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 135i

Quick bump on this - I am thinking of taking my car to Gebhardt to do a full inspection (just bought the 135i and had it shipped from Chicago). Anything I should look for or have them check? Car is under gold warranty till 100k and I have 90k on the odometer now. I want to make sure I have them look at prone things before it expires.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaerran View Post
Quick bump on this - I am thinking of taking my car to Gebhardt to do a full inspection (just bought the 135i and had it shipped from Chicago). Anything I should look for or have them check? Car is under gold warranty till 100k and I have 90k on the odometer now. I want to make sure I have them look at prone things before it expires.
I would have your A/C condenser checked, the original part is known to be fragile (made of plastic and metal that don't expand at the same rate) and replacement is really painful as it requires the dashboard to be removed, replacement part is 100% metal and much sturdier, would be good to have it inspected to be sure you have no leaks.
Gebhart is pricey but I trust them, haven't have issues with them in 5 years I went with them. Joel and Bill are great to work with.
      05-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
Xaerran
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 135i

Thanks a ton. Are there any signs of a leaky condenser?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaerran View Post
Thanks a ton. Are there any signs of a leaky condenser?
In my case it was the fact that on hot summer days in CO (you will experience them soon enough), the car could not cool down near a comfortable temperature no matter how long I drove. I thought it only needed to have the circuit recharged and that's when they found it was leaking. The dealer can do a quick test to check if the A/C circuit is leaking or not