E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > BMW CCA L.A. HPDE, California Speedway Infield, September 19th 2011: $225

07-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

BMW CCA L.A. HPDE, California Speedway Infield, September 19th 2011: $225

The one day format in June worked so well, the L.A. chapter has secured another date at Auto Club Speedway in September for local enthusiast and members alike.

Event info and registration is here.

Price of entry is a reasonable $225 before the August 20th deadline. I believe it's $250 after.

A couple of house-keeping notes, if you've been to one of our driving schools before, you will need to be a BMW CCA member to continue to attend our driving schools. If it's your first time, your membership fee requirements for the event is waived (you do not need to be a member to attend our track event for the first time. You DO need to pay for the entry fees) we're like crack dealers...First hit (i.e. the membership fee to attend the event) is "free". Also if you sign-up to BMW CCA using the following membership number as your referral, 182861, you (and I) will be entered into the drawing for an ///M Performance School at the Spartanburg facility.

We've also secured the use of the parking lot outside the course (not the auto-cross lots, if you're familiar with AX as well) to be used for wet skid-pad exercises as well. In addition to your 4 regular run groups, you will also get the opportunity to sharpen your car handling skills on the wet skid-pad. THIS IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY! Turn DSC off and go have some fun with little repercussions besides a dirty car.

If you're not familiar with the infield layout, it is literally a different track, or will feel like it, if you've only driven the Roval. It's short, compact, and relatively technical compared to the Roval. The back side of the track where you re-enter onto the Roval splits to the right and there's some combination, multi-apex turns and spits you back where turn "5" used to be for the Roval. It's a fun configuration and great layout for learning, because unlike the Roval where it'll take you 2 minutes plus change to complete, and with the way CCA sets up the chicanes you will likely only get 8 laps out of a full 25 minute session, the infield you can easily get 12-15 laps in that same span of time. Meaning it's a great opportunity to fine-tune and correct your lines and master the course. And there's still some very high speed sections between the decreasing radius 180º turn affectionately known as the "tip of the phallus."

Take a monday off and spend it having fun rather than in front of a desk working!
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.

Last edited by The HACK; 09-12-2011 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

What if someone's a memeber but never been to a track event with any organization?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
What if someone's a memeber but never been to a track event with any organization?
$225. The cost of event does not change. We just give non-members their one pass at having to be CCA members to participate in a club event.

So normally, if you're not a member, you'd have to pay the $45 member fee on top of the cost of the event, making it $270 total. Or if you've done events with us but not a member yet, then to sign up for this event you would have to pay the membership dues as well making the event $270.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
CT310
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 Porsche 996

This is going to be awesome. Thanks Hack!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Very tempting.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
CT310
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 Porsche 996

Just signed up and looking forward to winning my trip to Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

I e-mailed all my friends who always have an excuse for not going. We'll see.

Truth is, most are afraid of getting a ding on their car!! Like that doesn't happen in daily driving?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
I e-mailed all my friends who always have an excuse for not going. We'll see.

Truth is, most are afraid of getting a ding on their car!! Like that doesn't happen in daily driving?
Truth be told, almost all the front end "rash" on my MZ4 Coupe comes from the track. Especially California Speedway roval, where you're committed to throttle and turn-in at 120+ mph in the banked portion of the oval, and in most instances if you're riding on someone's bumper you're going to get some nasty rashes.

On the other hand, the biggest damage on the MZ4 Coupe was when I ran over a stupid parking concrete stopper and scraped the crap out of the "fangs" on the front bumper. Most of the rashes from the Roval can be buffed out or wet-sanded. Now I'm going to have to take the car in to the body shop to have the front bumper repainted eventually.

But since this is going to be infield only, there's little to no place on the infield where chips should be much of a concern.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
But since this is going to be infield only, there's little to no place on the infield where chips should be much of a concern.
Not until someone drops wheels onto the grass and throws rocks and sands onto the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

HACK, it says "Registration Closed" when you click "Register."
Is that right?

Edit: Sent an e-mail to Delight and she fixed it.

Last edited by aus; 07-31-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
The HACK
Rep

REMINDER: Early bird pricing ends this Saturday August 20th.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
thedm
The Legend
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [10.00]
I'm just joined the BMW family yesterday, joined this forum today, and I have zero track experience (although I watch a lot of races (e.g. 24 hours Le Mans, etc.), and understand the theory). Can I just come bone stock? Are there certain things I need to check/equip before I get to the track? Can I just show up? Please help a n00b

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbound View Post
I'm just joined the BMW family yesterday, joined this forum today, and I have zero track experience (although I watch a lot of races (e.g. 24 hours Le Mans, etc.), and understand the theory). Can I just come bone stock? Are there certain things I need to check/equip before I get to the track? Can I just show up? Please help a n00b

Thanks!
My suggestion? Take the day off, come out and get some rides. You will get a brand new perspective on what these cars can actually do. Then if you're interested, there's another track event in December at Willow Springs International Raceway (just north of Lancaster).

If you've never done this before, heck, even if you've had some experience, I would still recommend starting BONE STOCK. Find out what you and the car can do first, and figure out the car's weak-point before "modding" is the only way to do it right.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Shogun1122
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Comp

You should probably take out the part about the first timer being able to attend for free. I am sure it absolutely worth it, but being told something is free only for it to turn out not to be is not pleasant.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Great event. Skid pad was very enlightening on how to catch the tail when it comes around.
That infield track was really fun too. I'm over the whole banked Nascar turns.

Hope the instructors had some time on track too.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Great event. Skid pad was very enlightening on how to catch the tail when it comes around.
That infield track was really fun too. I'm over the whole banked Nascar turns.

Hope the instructors had some time on track too.

I put in nearly 4 full sessions of driving. Wasn't planning to but ended up that way.

I like the infield course very much, not only for its value in instructing, but also the fact that the back half of the infield requires a lot of patience, timing, and rhythm to get right but it's rewarding as hell if you DO get it right.

I can understand the allure of doing the oval for some, but given a choice? I'd do the infield only.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
Shogun1122
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Comp

This was my first day at the this track or any track for that matter. I had a ton of fun. I did all four sessions and one session at the skid pad.

Can't wait to do it again. I would highly recommend doing this if you never have before. Its a great way to see what these cars can really do!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

HACK, tell the board to do a weekend with the infield, but with more garages PLEASE!!
Appreciate 0