E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Left foot braking -- does it help or not?

07-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Richardo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AT sport

Left foot braking -- does it help or not?

So I've been practicing left foot braking on my 335i with AT, and I have to admit that it seems to work really well in the turns. By keeping down on a gas a bit to keep the revs up slightly during braking, I get instant and consistent power immediately upon releasing the brake (as opposed to just guessing when to hit the gas prior to the apex). I think it's especially helpful for our cars owing to the unpredictability of the turbo lag -- that's what I missed in cornering compared to some of my previous normally aspirated cars.

At first it was a little difficult because my left foot isn't as sensitive as the right one, but after some practice, it's certainly helping me make smoother (and faster) turns. I would imagine that's it's pretty hard on the brake pads, so I'm only using it on autocross and practices (rather than normal street driving).

Any thoughts or advice on how to make best use of it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Just as trail-braking can be very helpful when executed properly, LFB can both shave significant time off of a lap as well as help balance the vehicle in the middle of a turn. If you execute it right.

Try karting if you want to pick up LFB quickly.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Richardo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That's good advice regarding karting -- it's actually the first time I had tried doing it & won that day's best time.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

practice, practice, practice.. I've used LFB on some FWD cars to get a little rotation mid corner, but as you have discovered, it's sometimes tricky to find just the right amount of pressure with the left foot.

At least you don't have to worry about moving your left foot back over in front of the clutch pedal after your LFB maneuver. It's kinda embarrassing when you go to change gears and instead of stabbing the clutch, you lock up all 4 tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

I LFB every corner I don't have to downshift. Or, if its paddle 'box, I always LFB.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Richardo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for both of the comments. I hadn't realized it was also useful for front-wheel drive too.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
ngng
Private
Rep
Drives: Widebody S4, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardo View Post
Thanks for both of the comments. I hadn't realized it was also useful for front-wheel drive too.
I use it in my Audi to get the car to rotate as well!

ACNA, BMWCCA, NASA, SCCA
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
1MEAN3
Rep
Drives: 2008 3.28i

practice makes perfect
Appreciate 0