E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Helmet Clearance

08-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Helmet Clearance

Hi Folks,

I need some help with getting proper helmet clearance in my E90.

Concerning the seating position: I am having hard time finding a seating position that will give me enough headroom clearance for a helmet! I started attending AutoX events and for the first few sessions I was using a loaner helmets just so that I can try as many brands and shapes as possible before I buy my own. Yesterday I went to a race shop and I tried a few different helmets.

Every single time, the helmets end up hitting either the "Oh Shit" handle or the headliner or both. My seat is currently at its lowest position and I am 5ft 11in tall. I have an E90 with the sports seats.

I ended up getting a Bell Sport SA2010 helmet because it fit really good on my head and gave me the most clearance from all helmets I tried. Yet, I can easily hit the "Oh Shit" handle and the headliner if I just sit straight up. I have to slouch a bit to avoid hitting anything with the helmet.

What can be done to alleviate this problem without removing the stock seats?

Will a different seat mounts/rails offer a lower seating position? I was "secretly" thinking that the Macht Schnell seat rails are compatible with the stock seats and that they will give me a lower seating position.

Thanks for your time in advance.
      08-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Hi Folks,

I need some help with getting proper helmet clearance in my E90.

Concerning the seating position: I am having hard time finding a seating position that will give me enough headroom clearance for a helmet! I started attending AutoX events and for the first few sessions I was using a loaner helmets just so that I can try as many brands and shapes as possible before I buy my own. Yesterday I went to a race shop and I tried a few different helmets.

Every single time, the helmets end up hitting either the "Oh Shit" handle or the headliner or both. My seat is currently at its lowest position and I am 5ft 11in tall. I have an E90 with the sports seats.

I ended up getting a Bell Sport SA2010 helmet because it fit really good on my head and gave me the most clearance from all helmets I tried. Yet, I can easily hit the "Oh Shit" handle and the headliner if I just sit straight up. I have to slouch a bit to avoid hitting anything with the helmet.

What can be done to alleviate this problem without removing the stock seats?

Will a different seat mounts/rails offer a lower seating position? I was "secretly" thinking that the Macht Schnell seat rails are compatible with the stock seats and that they will give me a lower seating position.

Thanks for your time in advance.
I removed the "oh shit" handle a while ago for clearance purposes. At the lowest seat position, with the seat almost upright, you should have enough headliner clearance without having to remove anything else. Double check that you're indeed in the lowest position. A couple of my track buddies are 6.2' or 6.3' and have no issue fitting in.

PS. Just noticed you have a sedan, this was on the coupe. Hopefully someone else can chime in on sedan clearance.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
I removed the "oh shit" handle a while ago for clearance purposes.
Thanks for your response! In my old Jetta they used the "Oh Shit" handles for supporting the headliner. Is that the case in the E9X platform? I'd hate to remove it only to end up with a saggy headliner right where I need max clearance.
      08-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

OEM seats are made to be bolted directly to the floor. There are no mounts or rails that can be bolted to them (and if anything, trying to add mounts will only add to the height).

I'm 5'11 and oddly enough i never ran into helmet clearance issues, although like the previous poster i have a coupe as well. Are you sitting completely straight up? Don't get me wrong, i dont slouch by any means, but im sure if i sat completely straight my head would probably hit the headliner too.

Definitely try removing the oh shit handle and see if it helps alleviate the problem.
      08-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I have a sedan with zsp and sit fairly upright when autocrossing as well but don't have any issue at all with either the handle or the headliner. Double check your seat is at it's lowest point.

I am 5'11 as well, so...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Are you guys using the seat tilt functionality? You know, the one function where it changes the angle of the entire seat relative to the floor. I have it in a way that the seat bottom is not horizontal to the floor.

I'll remove the "Oh shit" handle and try to see if I gain any clearance there.
      08-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Thanks for your response! In my old Jetta they used the "Oh Shit" handles for supporting the headliner. Is that the case in the E9X platform? I'd hate to remove it only to end up with a saggy headliner right where I need max clearance.
Nope, headliner stays in place. Just 2 ugly holes in the ceiling, just don't look up.

Quote:
Are you guys using the seat tilt functionality? You know, the one function where it changes the angle of the entire seat relative to the floor. I have it in a way that the seat bottom is not horizontal to the floor.
Yes, you need to tilt the seat a bit to hold you in place while braking (no submarining). Same with the side bolsters, all the way in to hold you in place at the turns. A CG lock also makes a big difference.

My biggest seat annoyance on the older e90/e92s are the forward-leaning headrests pushing the helmet forward, although BMW seems to have changed this in the LCI models.

I also lean my left foot against the door and use it as leverage on right turns, can't really use the dead pedal since your knees are bent. In one of my not so proud/bright moments last year, I decided to do a run wearing shorts due to ~103F weather. I ended up bleeding on the door and mat as my leg was rubbing hard against the door, never again...had to get rubber mats too :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Move the seat back 1-2 inches, move your butt up on the seat cushion about 2 inches to pick up the slack, take a big pillow and jam it between the space created to give your tailbone/spine a break. This will allow you another 1/2-3/4" clearance.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I know you said you didn't want to change seats, but I can't even begin to tell you how much better these seats are than stock.
I can actually feel what's going on with the chassis.

I'm also sitting about 2-1/2" lower than the stock sport seats. It makes a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Here's the seat
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
The seat looks impressive indeed. I thought about all this, but I don't feel like leaving this type of seat in there for the duration of the AutoX season (April - September). Reasons:

1. No side airbags. I just don't want to take chances with this one.
2. Limited adjustments. I sometimes take longer trips and driving in a racing seat will not be too pleasant.

The only seat that I know of that has side airbags is the BMW Performance Seats which are at this point in time, too expensive.