E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW and the iPod

10-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
kgg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325 - on its way

BMW and the iPod

Hello,

Is it just me or is there something screwy about how BMW is handling the iPod? I understand it was the first company to integrate it into the sound system with the e46. Now there are lots of manufacturers in on the act (http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipodyourcar/).

Apple has sold millions of the devices and has 70-80% of the market, so it makes sense to provide an adapter to integrate it in the sound system. These devices and their ilk are the future of music storage and that has been obvious for years. What's BMW's solution? A CD changer in the boot! (I had one in the 90's and never used it after the first couple of weeks.) This is from a company which prides and advertises itself as innovative and a user of advanced technology! What a joke!

What's the comparative cost of a CD changer and an iPod? Wouldn't it make more sense for BMW to sell an iPod with the car? You know, the cars aren't cheap, so most buyers' disposable incomes can easily handle it.

Ahh, but they do provide a connection - a 3.5mm auxiliary input socket. Pretty-well any sound source will interface with this.

Maybe that's the point. Maybe BMW doesn't want to commit to Apple because of its alliance with Microsoft (competitors)?

You know the stupid iDrive system? Well, that "uses the Microsoft Windows CE operating system" (http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/idrive.htm). Considering the amount of bugs and viruses and shortcomings of Microsoft's operating systems, why would anybody want to rely on it in their automobile at speed? What about that "multifunction knob", a masterclass in bad and stupid user interface design!

Please excuse me for being heated about this. I have a 325 on order (without iDrive) and it just seems incomprehensible to me that a company that produced an adapter in a previous model wouldn't do so for its successor. I can only imagine that it is deliberate!

I see lots of people messaging to this forum asking about iPods, so the problem is on peoples' minds.

I think we should start doing something to make BMW aware of how we feel on this issue!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
BMW ususally takes time to release these little addons to the car. This is because first the outsources manufacturer has to first design and test it. Then BMWs own engineers have to test it and make changes, etc.. for BMW this is usually a longer process. Then the product is released.

Fear not the official IPOD adapter will be released for the e90, when that will be I don't know, but it will happen. Its always been like that with every model of BMW, it usually takes a year or two before BMW will start releaseing fun little addons for the car like glovebox 6 disc changers, etc etc