E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Fault codes related to throttle valve actuator

08-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Fault codes related to throttle valve actuator

My service engine soon light came on the other day. As far as I could tell it was running perfectly, no loss of power or roughness, but I took it in to be safe. They performed a check and the car returned fault codes 4677, 4687, 4697 and B1365.

As far as I can tell, the first 3 codes all mean the same thing: a problem with the "throttle valve actuator." I'm not sure what the last code means.

They performed a software update and the check engine light is gone, but I'm still not sure what was actually wrong. Diesels don't have throttles, correct? And certainly not throttle valves, right? My service adviser mentioned it was linked to the emissions system, so my wild guess is that it had something to do with the DPF regeneration. Do you guys have any ideas?
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

The 335d does in fact have a throttle valve, but not for use in the conventional sense as a gas engine. Its first function is to provide a metered restriction in intake airflow to "de-lean" the 'effective' air:fuel ratio so as to increase EGTs to facilitate DPF regeneration cycles. The second function is to act as an "anti-shudder valve" to slow the engine quickly once it's shut down (note: other diesels have anti-shudder valves too, my TDI Jetta does, as an example.) the last function is as an emergency air shut-down valve to atop the engine if for any reason, an inadvertent fueling source results from things such as blown turbo bearing or fractured piston rings, etc... i.e. Where engine oil becomes the 'fuel', Ã* la VW Rabbit IDIs from the late 70's/early-80's)

Cheers
D.
      08-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Yeah I figured it had something to do with the DPF regeneration, based on my understanding of the way that system works. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Has this fault come up on anyone else's car?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

No yours is the first.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
d-rex
2010 335d; 2003 M3; 2008 Corvette Z06; 1969 Camaro
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Unhappy SES Light Comes On and Stays On

My 35d is a 2010 took delivery in Dec 2009 and have 28000 miles. Love it, except for problems with the Service Engine Soon light. It came on first in May 2011. The BMW dealer, stated that the Urea system had a faulty switch. Changed the canister and the hoses and light went away. SES light came on again after only 3000 miles. The third time the SES light came on was after another 1000 plus miles. All this time the car functioned just fine with no apparent loss in power or degradation of fuel consumption. After more fooling around with the urea system, the light went off only to come on again after less than 35 miles. It is currently in the shop and I may just claim the Lemon Law on this vehicle as it drives me crazy to have the car in for the same thing with no ability to get it fixed. MotorTrend magazine had a 335d for long term testing and experienced the same problem, which eventually was fixed (no information was provided as to the remedy) by the Rusnak dealer in Van Nuys, CA. I am researching a solution or unfortunately this car which is perfect for my daily driving in all ways, will have to be replaced. Anyone out there with additional information is welcomed. My thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
MrClean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
No yours is the first.
No it's not.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

A month later, the service engine light is back on. The symptoms are the same, in that there are no symptoms. I'm calling my adviser today to schedule an appointment. We'll see if it's the same problem. My car's approaching the end of it's warranty, and it's been in the shop 6 times in the past 5 months for various little things. Needless to say, I'm getting a bit concerned.

Last edited by maswastage; 09-27-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
No it's not.
Ok..the second.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday and my SA called me today. One of the fault codes is for the throttle valve actuator, the same as before. This time there is also a code for the EGR exhaust gas recirculation valve.

My suspicion is the EGR was the problem last time too, and that it's causing the throttle valve actuator code. If that's the case, though, I'm not sure why the EGR code wouldn't have shown up the first time.

In any case, they're replacing parts tomorrow and I should have the car back Friday. Here's hoping that solves the problem. As always, if anyone has had a similar experience with the EGR, or if someone is more knowledgeable and can chime in I would really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday and my SA called me today. One of the fault codes is for the throttle valve actuator, the same as before. This time there is also a code for the EGR exhaust gas recirculation valve.

My suspicion is the EGR was the problem last time too, and that it's causing the throttle valve actuator code. If that's the case, though, I'm not sure why the EGR code wouldn't have shown up the first time.

In any case, they're replacing parts tomorrow and I should have the car back Friday. Here's hoping that solves the problem. As always, if anyone has had a similar experience with the EGR, or if someone is more knowledgeable and can chime in I would really appreciate it.
I know one person in the US who had his EGR replaced. Wouldn't call it a common failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

I picked the car up from service yesterday. They replaced the EGR valve and the throttle valve actuator. On the way home from the car went into limp mode. I have no idea what to say at this point. This is quickly turning int a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
I picked the car up from service yesterday. They replaced the EGR valve and the throttle valve actuator. On the way home from the car went into limp mode. I have no idea what to say at this point. This is quickly turning int a nightmare.
Wow. That would be really frustrating. Sorry to hear.

Does 3 instances of the same problem get you lemon relief (or perhaps more reasonably warranty extention for the issue) in the event that you go off of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #13
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Alright, after taking the car to a different dealership, the issue appears to be resolved. Apparently, there is axnew EGR valve design that requires new programming to go along with it. See this thread for more info: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543429

When they replaced the EGR valve the first time they didn't perform the reprogram, hence why the car flipped and went into limp mode.

I only drove the car a few miles from the dealer so I'm remaining cautious until I drive it for a few days and see with my own eyes that there are no problems. But I can only hope now that this is finally solved and my car will show me some love, because even after this I still love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
DerSteppenWolf
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2005 X3

Got the same at 25K

Quote:
Yeah I figured it had something to do with the DPF regeneration, based on my understanding of the way that system works. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Has this fault come up on anyone else's car?
I got it at 25K. The SES light went on on Thu and stayed on until Friday, went off on Saturday. I brought the car to the dealer today (Mon) and my SA said that they've just replaced the "air metering" valve. I probably should ask for codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I had mine in the shop recently for a SES.

"Ok got her back, only took one day

4D16, SCR System Efficiency, Metering Valve Clogged.
They removed it, cleaned it and reinstalled it. Rechecked it, appears to be working fine.

They also came up with and EGR fault found in the DDE FC(4873)
EGR Cooling Plausibility. Spring for bypass flap on the EGR cooler is broken. Apparently this is part of a recall? Anyone know about this?"

I also had an EGR fault along with a metering valve. I wonder if any of this has to do with that recall they just issued i read about on here.

Here's my SES thread link,
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=454659&page=2
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
DerSteppenWolf
Rep

FC:4D35

I've just got it from the dealer and found out that my OBD code was 4D35 - metering valve clogged. The work that they did was "replaced SCR valve as per sib...."

I hope that I'll be luckier than this guy: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=498927 who has already fixed it at least three times.

It's the second SES for the last two years. The first one was at 4K and was related to Eurea injector failure.

My X3 is almost 8yo and I didn't have any SES so far. Did they test 335d well?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
DerSteppenWolf
Rep

Two quick updates:

1. I've just bought a generic bluetooth OBD2 scanner and it shows P208E, which is a generic version of BMW's 4D35, although SES is off.

2. Got a letter from BMW about "voluntary emission recall campaign" (#11E-A03), which states the following in the "problem" section: "BMW internal analysis has shown that certain emissions components, including the SCR catalyst, the DEF mixer and the EGR valve, may not be robust enough over increasing vehicle mileage. As a result, the NOx emissions standard could be exceeded, along with the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon Lamp".

Affected models: 2009, 2010 and 2011.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
nonexistant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
A month later, the service engine light is back on. The symptoms are the same, in that there are no symptoms. I'm calling my adviser today to schedule an appointment. We'll see if it's the same problem. My car's approaching the end of it's warranty, and it's been in the shop 6 times in the past 5 months for various little things. Needless to say, I'm getting a bit concerned.
my car too has been in the shop more than I can recall or would like to admit.

belt squeal (a month)
dead cell battery (happened Saturday morning...car back Tuesday)
999mi no start (all day event???)
corner lamp failed
Brake pad wear indicator failed
and now egr recall

this might not sound like a lot, but this is all between services which annoys the sh!t out of me; also dealer broke brackets for the ground cable crossing firewall; I forced them to fix, another day or two.

I'm thinking I will want the extended warranty...maybe not because I get poor service; I don't want to foot the bill for defective parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 View Post
I had mine in the shop recently for a SES.

"Ok got her back, only took one day

4D16, SCR System Efficiency, Metering Valve Clogged.
They removed it, cleaned it and reinstalled it. Rechecked it, appears to be working fine.

They also came up with and EGR fault found in the DDE FC(4873)
EGR Cooling Plausibility. Spring for bypass flap on the EGR cooler is broken. Apparently this is part of a recall? Anyone know about this?"

I also had an EGR fault along with a metering valve. I wonder if any of this has to do with that recall they just issued i read about on here.

Here's my SES thread link,
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=454659&page=2
What was the outcome of code 4873
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I got my first SES light on and took it in to the dealer last week. Car has 32,459 miles on it. They looked at it and found no "hard faults" checked and cleaned a few things and gave the car back. A few days later the SES light came on again. All along, the car is running perfectly.

Here is what the dealer's summary says verbatim:

CUST. STATES SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT ON
CONFIRMED CHECK ENGIN ELIGHT ON. RAN VEHICLE TEST FOUND
FAULTS FOR SCR SYSTEM EFFICIENCY. RAN RELATED TEST PLANS.
FOUND NO HARD FAULTS FOR SCR SYSTEM. INSTRUCTED TO CHECK
SCR SYSTEM COMPONENTS. REMOVED UNDER BODY PANELS FOUND ALL
LINES AND CONNECTIONS. OK. REMOVED METERING VALVE. OK.
RINSED WITH WATER. TOPPED OFF BOTH ACTIVE ANS PASSIVE DEF
TANKS. (OVER 2 GALLONS). RAN TEST PLAN FOR REFUEL DETECTION.
RAN TEST PLAN FOR PRE CONDITION RUN. TOOK VEHICLE ON
CONDITION RUN TO ENABLE NOx SENSORS. RAN SCR SYSTEM TEST. OK
FOUND NOx SENSOR IN RANGE AND SCR SYSTEM WORKING NORMAL.
DIAG CODE: D1170-000000000-03-901
00-00-556 2 FRU + 61-00-006 25 FRU.

The car uses DEF fluid more than expected over its life and I have varied how it is driven quite a bit. Texaco/Chevron with no additives all the way except for one time right before this when car was sitting a while used Sta-Bil Diesel Fuel Stabilizer in proper dosage for one tank.

I'm not interested in changing cars but would entertain all thoughts and technical solutions. The car is going back to the dealer later this week.

PL
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
BMW Fault Codes 4687 and 474C

Today, just for grins, and because I am taking the car in for an oil change in a few days, I used my scan tool that came with the JBD and discovered two codes:

4687 - which is apparently Throttle Valve Actuator
474C - not sure

But from reading a few threads on this and Bimmerfest, it may be related to the DEF process.

A month ago or so I got the 999 miles to go warning, and since I was waiting for the oil change light to go on, I put about 1/2 gallon of DEF in the active tank. The 999 miles to go warning went away. It could be those codes are left over from that. I cleared the codes.

BTW, as I may have reported in another thread, a month or so I got an SES light and figured it was for my second oil change, as it came on at about 25.5k, and my previous oil change by dealer was at 11,629. But I belatedly found out that the oil change and oil filter was not indicated so was not done. Nor was the DEF top-up. They replaced the air and fuel filter and replaced the squealing AC belt. Fast forward a bit: I get the 999 miles to go reading, call the dealer to complain about the DEF and learned the foregoing. Now I am sitting at 27+K and the next oil change is showing as 12,000 miles away. So I called the dealer again and we agreed that either the computer database is hosed or the tech inadvertently reset the counter. Taking it in next Tuesday. I wonder about these guys; this dealership is usually good.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
Ek_1986
Ehs_1986
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

I’ve got an E92 335D & have noticed a sudden of power. The fault code reports is 43E2 Throttle Valve Actuator -Open Circuit.

Can anyone help me with the following:

1) Has anyone had the same error code and if so how did you go about dealing with it
2) Which part is the fault code referring to? Is it the throttle body that bolts onto the EGR as per item (3) in the webpage contained on this link - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=11&fg=40
3) Is this fault code likely to have symptoms of a loss power?

Thanks
Appreciate 0